How Takanuva's Alternate Universe Journey should have gone

Takanuva’s journey through a bunch of alternate universes in 2008 is just a way to explain away his set tools, shoehorn in some “what-if” scenarios, and tell a few side stories. Seriously, they could just as easily have had Helryx give him his new weaponry. It also makes no sense that he stumbles around through these universes and somehow magically winds up back in his own – in Karda Nui, no less. However, it could have made sense if the order of the three stories was rearranged.

Canonically, it goes
City of Silver
The Kingdom
Dark Mirror

Here’s the order I propose:

Dark Mirror
City of Silver
The Kingdom

(and the only thing this would affect is any mention of weaponry in Dark Mirror, if there was any, which I don’t think there was)

Here’s why.

Brutaka uses his Olmak to send Tak to Karda Nui, but his Mask is damaged and winds up sending him to an Alternate Universe instead – still on Metru Nui, though, where he started. At the end, he jumps into Dimensional Space, no control over where he’s even going, and winds up in a pocket dimension.

After helping out here, he describes his universe as best he can to the Spectral Hau, who knows nothing about his universe. The SH sends him to a similar universe.

Here, the only difference is that Matoro failed (and Velika wasn’t a GB, but no one cares about that). After helping out here, Tak finds Brutaka with a working Olmak, who knows how to use it, and Brutaka sends him exactly where he wants to go.

Again, I stress that this would do nothing to the continuity, since there wasn’t much mention of his weapons in DM and his weapons in Journey of Takanuva are creative license anyway. What it would do is make the whole journey actually make sense. It would have made more sense if they had just cut this whole thing and had the OoMN give him his new weaponry, but if they really wanted to show these stories, this is how it should’ve been handled.

BBBB55
14 Likes

Makes sense, too bad you didn’t work for Lego seven years ago… :wink:

1 Like

But that would be boring.

Seriously, I’ve always liked the concept of alternate histories. So I liked this story.

You are, however, entitled to your own opinions.

They always need a way to explain set design changes…

And apparently Takanuva was taller in the Swamp because he absorbed Karda Nui’s light energy?

WTGreat Beings, LEGO?

I was just thinking about this myself, but I came to a slightly different conclusion.

I believe it makes more sense if City Of Silver occurs last, since it is a pocket dimension attached to the main dimension, so the Spectral Mask is the most likely to be able to send Takanuva exactly where he needs to go.

Then, I agree that Dark Mirror should be first, but for a different reason. The reason I say this is because Takanuva’s method of departure is the least controlled out of any of them, so it makes the most sense that it would lead him to a completely different dimension.

This leaves The Kingdom in the middle simply by process of elimination, but that makes sense as well, since a Brutaka with a fully functional Olmak should at least be able to get Takanuva close, which is why he ends up in a pocket dimension of his prime universe.

One thing I will point out, though, is that Kingdom Brutaka’s Olmak may not have actually been fully functional. The Kingdom diverged when Matoro hesitated to save Mata Nui, which presumably means that everything before that happened as it did in the prime universe, including Brutaka being sent to The Pit at the end of the Ignition arc (which is what damaged his Olmak).

So in summary, I would propose that Takanuva is first sent to the Toa Empire, and, after leaving and floating through interdimensional space, he randomly finds himself in The Kingdom. From there, Kingdom Brutaka is able to send him to his own universe, but Takanuva instead ends up in a pocket dimension (whether this is due to Brutaka not knowing enough about the final destination, or because his Olmak is broken, is unknown). Then, finally, the Spectral Mask completes the last leg of the journey, sending Takanuva the relatively short distance to Karda Nui.

This also has the effect of bringing Takanuva’s weaponry in Journey Of Takanuva in line with the story, but that was never my intention.

Side note

I feel like this is actually quite relevant to many parts of the story, up to and including The Awakening itself.

Remember, Velika was instrumental to the Toa Inika’s battles in the prime universe. It was him who gave them their Zamor Launchers, and, more importantly, it was Velika who knew that Energized Protodermis would free the enslaved Matoran. In 2006, this was just explained as “Velika says it’ll work, let’s move along”, but I have always taken this as unintentional foreshadowing of Velika’s true nature; after all, how would some random Matoran recognize two of the rarest substances in the Matoran Universe and know how they would react together, especially if one of them is said to be completely unpredictable by nature?

But if Velika wasn’t a Great Being in The Kingdom, who gave the Toa Inika their tools to help against the Piraka? The only explanation I can come up with is that the Great Being we know as Velika still ended up on Voya Nui in whatever body he was inhabiting in that universe, and it was that Matoran who aided the Toa Inika, rather than Velika.

From there, I propose that Velika’s presence on Voya Nui was directly related to his plans as a Great Being, since it seems unlikely that the Matoran body the Great Being was inhabiting would coincidentally get damaged and be sent to Voya Nui in both universes.

Of course, everything after that is pure speculation; did Velika damage himself during The Awakening? Did he intentionally go to Voya Nui to watch the Ignika? Did he break down in both universes simply by nature of being a “real” consciousness in an artificial body?

We can’t know for sure, but it could have very impactful implications.

2 Likes