How to explain the Bionicle to a newbie?

Hello,

So I have a friend that has never really gotten into Bionicle back in the day. Now he’s certainly seen them in stores and thought they were nifty things, but I think to him they were just “designs” and not really part of a larger expansive story.

Anyways, we’ve been thinking about doing a podcast or video series where we each pick a franchise unknown to the other and try to explain to one another the lore, history, and interesting facts regarding it. And of course, I want to explain Bionicle since I know he’ll be very intrigued by the series… assuming I explain it right that is.

So I am here to ask how exactly to I jump into explaining Bionicle? Do I explain first how the series was conceived? Do I explain the general culture of this world?

If anyone has any idea how to approach this to someone new please let me know, it would really help me out. Thanks!

5 Likes

For a total newbie, I think the comics are an easy introduction to the story. They can all be found here.

I also think a brief summary of how the franchise was conceived would be a good idea.

1 Like

Idk how to help you with your problem, but,

^ this is a great idea for a show.

5 Likes

Thanks, I’m glad to hear that it’s something people would be interested in.

1 Like

If I was going to explain Bionicle to someone who had no prior experience with it, I would start with the basics without going into too much detail.

For example the 6 elements, the hierarchy of characters (Toa, Matoran, Turaga), the Island Mata Nui, Makuta, and the story from there out. You could expand a lot more and get into the other years, but I think the first years of Bionicle are a good starting point for new people.

5 Likes

I was actually thinking of the basics in this manner, my only worry with this is how to get my friend on the same page. Things can easily go over his head if I’m not too careful haha.

here’s how I would explain it:

*The setting is a foreign world (worlds, as of '09) filled with alien species that are all partially mechanical, but not completely
*Most species has some sort of unique power, the most common being various elemental powers or the ability to wear masks that give them niche powers
*The most notable species are the Matoran, who are small and generally powerless but certain members of which are predestined to become Toa, which are taller and have the elemental and mask powers
*even though it is an technologically advanced universe, each individual has a predetermined destiny, and the universe is run by a singular god, but who doesn’t care that much about its inhabitants, but will be hurt if its inhabitants do not live in certain harmony.
*That god just got put to sleep by Teridax, the leader of a powerful species known as Makuta. In order to awake him, the Toa must travel to a faraway place to perform a ritual, but must first protect the Matoran of Mata Nui from the Makuta’s underlings until they can overtake their base, which links them to the rest of the world

that should put into motion some of the mechanics of the universe and the main conflict. You could dig slightly deeper into a few recurring elements, such as protodermis/antidermis, organizations like the Dark Hunters and the Order of Mata Nui, the separate world of the Glatorian and the Three Virtues. You’ll note that I try to explain the story in a way that hides the Big Story Engine (the nature of Mata Nui) and also gives an overall direction to the Golden Years, which at least to me as a latecomer seems to have no clear direction.

3 Likes

Do not explain the “world inside robot” thing. This will be a surprise. From all things I think that it is important to explain that they are not robots, but biomechanical creatures. Watching movies first is a great idea.

2 Likes

The most important, I believe, is to make clear that they are not robots. Movies would be a good start.

2 Likes

Start with the mythical island aspect, but I would make sure to showcase how involved the story got in the later years, as that’s what drew me into the franchise.

Of course, Bionicle was cancelled because the later story couldn’t bring in any new fans, so you have to get them hooked on the idea of a complex story without losing them in the details.

Go into the specifics of the early years to establish the workings of the world, then deliver the promise of more complex lore.

But whatever you do, do not give away The Big Twist. That is something that needs to be experienced in the full context of the lore, not just heard about. In fact, don’t even mention Spherus Magna.

3 Likes

"Well, uh,-
"You know how ‘The Matrix’ was essentially just buddhism, but explained away by science, where their world isn’t real because it’s a computer simulation?

“Well, ‘Bionicle’s’ like that, but for ‘Moana’, with their ‘deity’ being the island because it’s a sleeping giant robot,- except, for most of the story, the good-guys don’t know that.”

2 Likes

BIONICLE is the story of how weird bio-mechanoids knocked each other’s masks off to save their god from his evil brother. The story then diverges into into a prequel that explains where the bio-mechanoids and their masks came from, then goes back to the current time where the bio-mechanoids once again need to save their god by acquiring a shiny golden mask. They complete their task but unknowingly save the evil brother instead. The good god is exiled to a desert on another planet where different bio-mechanoids shoot fruit at each other in gladiatorial arenas. The good god powers up and engages his evil brother in a boxing match, where a planet goes flying into the evil brother’s head, killing him, and the bio-mechanoids are saved. The end.

There are also alternate universe stories and a reboot.

In the reboot, the events are basically the same as the original story. Weird bio-mechanoids knocked each other’s masks off to save their leader from his evil brother, only this time the story is simplified, with their leader and his brother not being gods but master craftsmen who created the masks. The good bio-mechanoids revive their leader, fight evil spiders and skeletons, have their armor upgraded, and ally with some animal friends to save the world. At the end of the story, the good bio-mechanoids travel to the shadow realm and engage the evil brother in battle where he is defeated and the heroes disappear due to lack of toy sales. The end.

4 Likes

Lol. :rofl:
Heroic sacrifice? No: Just poor toy sales. :point_up:

2 Likes

Begin by reciting the Mata Nui / Makuta World Myth and Tahu’s awakening on the beach from the first book, then explain the basic original concept; biomechanical warriors on a tropical island protecting tribal villagers from a darkness infecting the rahi (animals) on the island named after their god. If you want an elevator pitch: It’s Star Wars crossed with AvatarTLA crossed with Transformers, packaged in a Maori cultural aesthetic and infused with light Christian themes. Also be sure to define Bionicle as Biological Chronicle if he asks what it means, so then his mind will be blown by the name’s hidden implications all along once you reveal the Mata Nui Robot when you get to the end of '08.

As you dive into the basic worldbuilding, story beats and characterization from the first year, explain how they tied into the marketing decisions for the toy line. For example, you should note that the idea of the Toa collecting masks and knocking infected masks off of Rahi was included in the story to encourage kids to collect the masks from sets and from mask bags, as well as to advertise the innovative designs of the gear functions. If/when you describe how Takua’s POV ran parallel to the Toa’s, explain that MNOG was a gateway drug into the franchise for many fans, letting them explore the world personally. These carefully considered marketing decisions paid off for LEGO, as Bionicle along with Star Wars generated necessary sales which would help to save the company from bankruptcy. Use promotional images, artwork and the CGI commercials to showcase what you describe, and you may also want to show him the original comics.

As a way to simplify the different eras of G1, you may want to compare them to the different stages of the Star Wars saga: The Golden Years are akin to the Original Trilogy; a classic heroic monomyth opening on sand. The Metru Years are akin to the Prequel trilogy; flashing back to a more metropolitan, dystopian world. The Ignition Trilogy is akin to the Sequel Trilogy; scrapping the OT heroes for ones who are new yet familiar. Another way of putting it is the Golden Years are a simple legend, the Metru Years are a sci-fi dystopia thriller, and the Ignition Trilogy is a run of blockbuster epics. '09 is Gladiator in space and '10 is a nostalgic victory lap with major budget cuts.

Save the Mata Nui robot reveal for the end of '08, but remember to emphasize all of the info hinting at it from the prior years, i.e., make sure he remembers and can differentiate between lore words like Mahri Nui and Karda Nui so when you explain that Karda Nui is named so because it is Mata Nui’s heart, (Karda = Kardius/Cardiac/Cardio = Linguistic reference to Heart,) he will not be totally confused. You should probably namedrop Christian Faber as one of the lead designers in the beginning, but save the pill inspiration for later.

I cannot stress this enough: DO NOT START BY SHOWING HIM THE MOVIES IF YOU WANT HIM TO APPRECIATE BIONICLE AS A MYTHIC EPIC, OR EVEN JUST AS A GOOD FRANCHISE. All of the Bionicle movies are terrible. I will fight anyone on this, people only like them because of nostalgia, which mostly comes from Nathan Furst’s soundtracks. The animation style is ugly, most of the voice-acting is embarrassing and the dialogue is worse. Their only redeeming qualities are the aforementioned soundtracks, which I actually would recommend using to help set the mood at times.

As for G2, the story is thin and the atmosphere is practically nonexistent so the best things to focus on are the greatness of the 2015 sets, and how the initial wave of community hype was rapidly replaced by an equal and opposite reaction of disappointment and vitriol.

3 Likes

This is, regrettebly, good advice. The Bionicle movies can only be appreciated if you are either:

• A Child
  • Already a Bionicle Fan :stuck_out_tongue:

That sounds harsh, but if you really think about it - I don’t see very many adults (or even older children) watching those movies and seeing much in them without being a Bio fan. They have enough redeeming qualities where they aren’t unable to be enjoyed at all (fortunately), but they don’t really have enough to hook someone who is cold to the franchise.

So I concur that the notion of sharing the Bionicle movies with anyone who hasn’t already seen them is a bad idea. If they’re at a point where they are able to appreciate what the movies offer, then they’re probably going to be interested enough to be hooked on Bionicle anyway.

I don’t have a lot of advice for where you should start, because that’s kind of dependent on what sort of person your friend is and what sort of stories they enjoy - find something they can connect with. If you can at all avoid mentioning the GSR twist until it happens, then do so.

If in doubt, MNOG honestly isn’t a bad bet, but it’s a bit dated nowadays, even though it’s aged relatively well.

3 Likes

I’m not gonna lie, I would like to make this known to more people but the main plot twist is something that I already discussed with my friends. It is something that excites me a lot but maybe I didn’t realize that I took away the opportunity for them to enjoy the surprise… Idk how to start. I think I can explain it but I wouldn’t do it justice by being a very condensed version of the story, basically from plot point to plot point, which I guess is pretty much boring…
I think you guys have already given good advice but what i’m most interested in is in how to hook this “potential new fan”.

1 Like

For a while, I’ve been trying to convince 2 friends of mine to give the Bionicle story a shot. A few months back I went on Wall of History and wrote out a short guide for following the '01 story and the first bit of '02 on a notecard. I said to skip things like the Quest for the Masks comics and said to either read the MNOG chapters or play through MNOG. I gave it to one of them and for the other I sent them this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Z_DuMo4pg. This has become outdated since I sent it and the guy has made a more updated video, so I should probably send that to him.

1 Like

Forgot about this from about a week ago:

We may be gettin a new bonk fan to join the ranks!

4 Likes

It’s not harsh.
Hero Factory’s videos were (for the most part) legitimately better.

1 Like

Small robot make big robot fall into coma.

3 Likes