How Will Fast and Furious 9 and 10 Handle Brian's Character?

A few months ago, I got into the Fast and Furious franchise. I felt like I wanted to try a new movie franchise, so I went to a local store and got the first movie secondhand. I enjoyed it, and then I ended up getting the rest of the movies. I can’t say they’re masterpieces, but they’re really fun to watch. I’d say 6 may have been my favorite, though 1, 5, and 7 were the other highlights for me.

Among people I’ve talked to, the consensus about the movies is the cast’s chemistry. I really agree with this. I enjoy seeing the interactions between Vin Deisel, Tyrese Gibson, Michele Rodriguez, Dwayne Johnson, and the rest of them. And it was pretty sad to see Paul Walker, AKA Brian O’Conner, go.

But there’s one hitch. It’s the fact that he’s been written out, only to…have a door open to a possible return?

Okay, let me explain. So we all know that Paul Walker died during the filming of Furious 7-ironically, in a car accident. Because of that, the filmmakers changed the script so that his character, Brian, would retire at the end of the movie. He’s had his fill of fighting bad guys. He’s settled down with Mia, and they’re ready to raise a family. Seems like a pretty fitting ending for him. Sure, it’s a little weird in Fate of the Furious when, at the end, he’s absent for the team’s dinner gathering where Dom announces that he’s naming his son after Brian. But it’s something I can forgive, since Paul Walker has died.

But the problem comes with F9. From the trailer, it appears that Jakob Toretto has kidnapped Dom’s sister and Brian’s wife Mia. Okay, but…what about Brian? He’s still married to Mia, right? How does he factor into this? Did Jakob capture him, too? Did he kill him while capturing Mia? Surely these questions will be answered when the movie does come out (a year later than it should’ve, because of this whole COVID-19 drama). But if Brian does appear on camera, how will they handle it? Again: Paul Walker is dead. He cannot reprise his role. The possible courses of action…well…

One thing they could do is introduce Mia into the story where, in her first appearance, Jakob would say that he captured her, and then bring her out to show Dom. Then he’d say something like “Her husband put up a fight, but I killed him.” That would be kinda awkward, and some might even say disrespectful, to Paul Walker; by having his character suddenly die offscreen. And it would be just as weird if Jakob said that he captured Brian, too, but just isn’t showing him to Dom because reasons.

So…what do you guys think will happen?