How would YOU have done Bionicle: Stars?

How does one get a display case from toy stores?

1 Like

You steal it

I have no idea, but Iā€™ve seen a couple on eBay that are really expensive.

1 Like

For stars? Where do I even start? Iā€™d have it be a bunch of sets. Each set of the 6 would be large, containing multiple figures. Like said in a podcast, I would have pieces for a Mata nui, and a Makuta robot

Set 1: the last stand
Tahu, Takuanuva, and Gahli have collected the 6 pieces of golden armor, but are surrounded by an army of rahkshi. Tahu must destroy them all. 3 other figures would depict the same 3 types of enemies in the final year, but in actual sized like before

Set 2: A team up
Pohatu, Kopaka, and Onua meet Gresh, Kina, and Ackar. The 6 decide to fight together.

Set 3: Fly alone
Lewa fights alone, against unexpected enemies, the piraka, except for Vezok.

Set 4: The Rahaga reformed into Toa. Brought back from old, these warriors fight to make up for the time theyā€™ve lost hy fighting for justice, they face 3 rahkshi.

Set 5: Behind the scenes
The turaga escaped from the Makuta robot, meeting the leaders of the agori, together they face one gigantic Skrall.

Set 6: (Build able if all 5 others are collected) The final battle. The Mata nui robot vs. Makuta. Bonus moons added into the set as well, along with both a crisp black mask of Shadows, and a solid gold mask of life (2007 version)

3 Likes

Someone on BIONICLE | VK got it; was probably an employee at a toy store and they keep all leftover display cases in a storage room; selling them on the black market on Ebay later

2 Likes

Well, realistically, they were disappointing, but if you were a company with a failing line and you needed something quick to produce to end it, you wouldnā€™t spend months designing lots of large Titan sets and paying the costs to mass produce them when they might not sell well anyways.

But if none of the time or budget constraints existed, but the year had to end, I would have gone:
-Tahu Mata
-Takanuva (original color scheme, considering we only got it once)
-A Rahkshi (Lehrahk for me, but it wouldnā€™t really matter)
-Gresh
-Vezon
-Helryx and/or Axxon

Itā€™s really hard to come up with a list with hindsight getting in the way, but I liked most of the decisions in the real line, except for maybe the Skrall. They were good, but underdeveloped and itā€™s not good to have two characters from a previous and recent year. But I agree with the choices prior, the Piraka, Rahkshi, and I guess the Skrall were probably the most memorable villains, Gresh was the spearhead of Bara Magnaā€™s first year, and Tahu and Takanuva were legendary.

I would have made them average sized, but make up for that by returning technic based builds with functions. Also, lots of older pieces from 05 back. The golden armor, like others have said, would function with the figure it comes with as well as Tahu.

3 Likes

Av matoran mask packs
so i could make those guys at the begginig of TLR also Av matoran takua, the stars we got, Titan Mata nui robot massive titan Takanuva and massive makuta titan,I think the stars were okay but people bash them waaaay to much, Solek is praised but the stars are not?

3 Likes
  1. Make them larger sets
  2. Have a second wave of figures, hereā€™s my idea for that:

Winter wave: same character

Summer wave:

Pohatu (Vehicle form)

Nokama (Metru)

Matoro (Mahri)

Bohrok

Vahki

Visorak

2 Likes

If the budget was the same, I would have Tahu, Takanuva, and Kongu as the heroes. The villains would be the same, because I can understand one candidate from 09.

I always thought that doing a set from each year (a toa and villain from each year, with titans thrown in) would be a neat call back to each wave. Would be tricky to pull off but having canister sets based off each year would be nice

First and foremost, I certainly wouldnā€™t make them Matoran-sized. I know, the idea of miniature versions of the past characters is cute and all, but I hated how it made the 2010 sets completely inconsistent with the past years in terms of scale. Also, because of the Av-Matoran build, with its simplicity and poor poseability, none of the Stars felt like a genuine upgrade from their past selves. Actually, it was more like a downgrade, unless the ability to make Tahu sit down and turn his head without reasembling him is that important to someone.

Assuming that the alternate Stars would use a variant of the Inika build, I donā€™t think it would make sense to remake any of the 2006-2009 sets. LEGO would either have to go crazy with them, making them completely unrecognisable, or re-release them with some minor cosmetic changes.

The Red One: I think Tahu was a good choice. Heā€™s an iconic character who hasnā€™t been released in a while - sure, there was his 2008 incarnations, but it was rather enviroment-specific and, letā€™s be honest, pretty darn ugly. However, I donā€™t think the change from Nuva back to Mata was necessary - I think his Nuva version is iconic enough on its own.
Alternately, Jaller could possibly work as some sort of spiritual remake of Lhikan if he got his original Yellow/Golden Hau back and underwent some kind of transformation.

The White One: Takanuva was also a good choice (for the same reasons as Tahu) but I didnā€™t like how they got rid of gold and replaced it with silver. Actually, Iā€™d ditch the whole ā€˜Collect the Golden Bionicle! (sic)ā€™ gimmick just to let Takanuva have his old colour scheme.

The Blue One: No idea.

The Yellow/Brown/Orange One: A Yellow Rahkshi is fine. Its power was kinda meh, so maybe Iā€™d go with a Rahkshi of Insect Control or Weather Control instead.

The Green One: No idea.

The Black One: No idea.

1 Like

If thy had to do the golden Armour they should have given it to takanuva

2 Likes

Using golden pieces as a selling point in 2010 didnā€™t even make much sense. In 2001-2003 (and arguably 2004) it was perfectly reasonable to advertise the golden parts as special, thatā€™s because this colour was used sparringly and reserved for the characters and artifacts of great importance, like Lhikan or Avokhii. In 2005-2006, however, gold became just a regular colour that was used whenever the designers felt it looked nice.

1 Like

it was a genius move actually, everyone had to buy all the bionicle stars to complete ā€œUltimate Tahuā€ who could defeat anyone

1 Like

Firstly, use Stars to debut CCBS. Iā€™m ok with the Av-matoran heads/ bodies & glatorian heads, but CCBS limbs. And also a missed opportunity to use the Mata foot, at least for Takanuva & Tahu.

The next biggest change is to have Takanuva in gold (and take the yellow/brown slot). As much as I love the Zirahk, if golden Takanuva means displacing the Zirahk, so be it. There is an alternative thoughā€¦ Iā€™ll place it later on in the larger sets.

Since CCBS debut with Stars, have the golden armor be CCBS pieces.

Remove Gresh. He might be the face of the glatorian line, but as far as story goes, I think Acker and Kiina (especially Kiina) play a bigger role.

So the minimal edit version would beā€¦ all CCBS (incl. golden armor), Mata foot for the toa
Red - Tahu
Yellow - Takanuva
Blue - Nektann (titled Piraka with Nektann as the subtitle)
Green - Keelerak (titled Visorak with Keelerak as subtitle)
White - Pridak (titled Barraki with Pridak as the subtitle)
Black - Rahkshi of Darkness (titled Rahkshi with Kraarahk as the subtitle (2 ā€œaā€?))

Iā€™m tempted to swamp Nektann for Hahli and Keelerak for Zaktan, but firstly, that means removing Nektann as canonised, and I believe Zaktan has been mutated in the lore at the time. Plus as iconic as Hahli is, sheā€™s not THAT iconic (Jaller is more iconic, but red is already taken up by Tahu).

If I had more budget, Iā€™ld include alternate builds, so itā€™s 6 sets to build 12 characters (with purchase of multiple copies, of course).
Red - Tahu (includes parts for Pridak with combination with white)
Blue - Nektann (includes parts for visorak Kahgahrak with white)
Yellow - Acker (includes parts for Jaller with red)
Green - Skrall (lime & black) (includes parts for Hahli with Blue)
Black - Rahkshi Kraarahk (includes parts for Vorox with Yellow)
White - Takanuva (gold & white) (includes parts for Kiina with blue)

If I had maximum budget with 2 wavesā€¦ Iā€™d rewrite the parts of the story to include Teridax sending out an early scouting party to attack a newly activated GSR Prototype Mata Nui, before he arrived in person (with the heroes fighting their way onto Bara Magnaā€™s surface shortly after he does).

Wave 1 - Villains (and Mata Nui)
Red - Skrall
White - Barraki Pridak
(Jaller comes as a combiner for Red & White)
Blue - Piraka Nektann
Green - Visorak Keelerak
(Hahli comes as a combiner for Blue & Green)
Brown - Vorox
Black - Manas (black and yellow)
(Keetongu comes a combiner for Black and Brown)
Inika build GSR prototype Mata Nui vs Rahkshi Kraarahk
(Wave 1 contains all the limb pieces of the golden armor)

Wave 2 - Heroes (and Teridax)
Red - Tahu Mata
Green - Gresh
(Piraka Zaktan comes as a combiner for Red and Green)
Blue - Kiina
Yellow - Acker
(Kaagahrak comes as a combiner for Blue and Yellow)
White - Axonn
Black - Krakua
(Exo-Toa comes as a combiner for White and Black)
Inika build GSR Makuta vs Takanuva
(Wave 2 contains all the chest and mask pieces for the golden armor)

So to complete the golden armor, you need all 12 sets, cause capitalism! And to get all characters, you gotta buy everything twice!

2 Likes