How Would YOU Redo the Star Wars Prequels?

Keep everything but jar jar and give everyone more interesting lines and cut out all the politics.

Oh boy. There is a lot to be done here. I’ll just highlight my biggest problems with the trilogy and list how I would fix them.

First of all, FIX THE SCRIPT, bad acting, bad direction, etc. This should come without saying, but the some of the biggest problems of the prequels were not with the concept itself, but rather the execution. A lot of people like to blame the actors for the horribly bland dialogue, but most of them are pretty good actors. The script is to blame here.

Next, make Padme’s and Anakin’s love story less forced. This kind of ties in with the last one. While having Ep. II as a “love story” isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it was executed extremely poorly in direction, pacing, and dialogue. Keep in mind, I grew up with this movies. I loved them. Subconsciously, though, I would find myself fast-forwarding through these parts, though I never acknowledged how bad they were until I got older. Not only is the idea that a Jedi is absolutely not allowed to love, or feel any emotion is pretty hard to believe. (Besides, I thought only the Sith deal in absolutes?) Rather than feeling like a tragic yet important moral code for the Jedi, it feels like it was shoved in the movie as an artificial obstacle for their romance. Not only this, but it feels like Padme doesn’t want their relationship at all THROUGHOUT THE MOVIE, until the end when she suddenly changes her mind. If it started with her not wanting it, then showing something called “character development” and growing closer to Anakin, it would have been exponentially more effective. As for fixing this, I’d first axe the idea of jedi being emotionless droids with force powers. Keep the idea of having them be unable to marry, though. Instead of having Anakin being a creep, he has strong feelings for Padme, but needs to suppress them to uphold the non-marrying policy. Have Padme be the one who is interested in Anakin. Eventually, Anakin gives up the code for his love and they marry. Had this happened, it would of shown Anakin’s willingness to break the Jedi rules for his love. This would be a small but significant first step down his path to the dark side.

This is already a huge post so I’ll just skip over the standard “burn Jar Jar” and “Too much CGI” stuff.

3 Likes

I… didn’t… mind… the CG!..

I think it’s a bit over-used.

That’s good for you. Many people, including I, can’t help but be distracted by how poor most of it looks.

ftfm

I think a lot of the prequel’s mistakes could be fixed if Anakin was portrayed as he was in The Clone Wars series.

Also, how Anakin became Sidious’s apprentice in Revenge of the Sith doesn’t make sense. He goes from doing the right thing (stopping Windu from killing a man and ruining the reputation of the jedi) and then is like: “Oh no Palpatine killed Windu, what have I done. I’m a terrible guy now.” Even though he could have just arrested Palpatine then and there (he was powerful enough to do it)!

He did the right thing, so that makes him a bad guy? That’s the thing that makes the least sense to me throughout the entire Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. It’s just so stupid. Sure, Anakin would have been kicked out of the Jedi Order because he married someone, but hey, at LEAST he would have done the right thing.

5 Likes

Two hours and no post acknowledging adding “jarjarbinks” here

Edited tags - @HewkiiDaKohliiHead

1 Like

Hehehehe…

1 Like

More Jar Jar, the kids will love him.

4 Likes

Make the trilogy focus on Amidala and Anakin Skywalker. The first movie can have Obi-Wan and his master finding Anakin, most likely on Tatooine, and recruiting him as a Jedi, and he becomes obi-Wan’s apprentice when a Sith kills Qui-Gon. Second film, reveal how Jar Jar is behind the rise of the Sith. Third film, have Anakin accidentally kill Obi-Wan. Then, when Anakin becomes Darth Vader, a mysterious being known only as Ben takes Obi-Wan’s place.

~signature~

2 Likes

Maybe use practical effects for some of the clone troopers (kinda like the First Order Stormtroopers in Episode VII). Now that I think about it, the over-abundance of CGI seemed a bit much for me.

1 Like

pretty perfect ending for episode 3 right here

5 Likes

A lot of people have accepted this as their new canon.
I decided to aswell.

4 Likes

I always thought the name “Obi-Wan” was a serial number (OB-1). The clone wars were not fought by Jango Fett copies, they were fought by Jedi clones. The Obi-Wan Luke meets in ANH is not the original Jedi from the prequels, it is his clone. Order 66 would be retconned into an attack on the Jedi cloning facility on Kamino because the Empire believes the Jedi are becoming too numerous. Ewan McGregor dies at the end of Episode III on Kamino and his clone survives and goes into hiding on Tatooine.

2 Likes

I think the biggest issue with the prequels is the love story between Anakin and Padme. It is really cheesy and takes you out of the movie. The thing is, I like the universe and time period of the prequels far more than that of the originals, but the prequel films just aren’t up to par.

Scrap everything and start over.

i did not like this guy’s version of the prequils. As other people in the Youtube comments had pointed out, this guy’s version have a good number of problems and acctualy does not make the prequils any better.

one of my problems with his version of Episode 3 was for example that General Grievous role is rather pointless, i mean you would say the same for the actual episode 3, but because in his version, Maul is still alive, there is no reason to have Grievous around, especialy when there have been no build up for him in the other movies (again, same argument can be used for the actual episode 3) i mean you could have any other random leader of the sepratist movement in command and it would not change a thing.

also the part of Dooku not being a part of Palpatine’s plans also does not make much sence (especialy the part of Palpatine calling him to say that he is the true mastermind behind all of this).

whats worse is how the guy basicly wanna tell the movies in a manner that hides the twist from the original trilogy… even though that also makes no sence. The way people should watch the movies is by watching the original trilogy first, then watch the prequils to learn what happend all those years ago.

also the change in Anakin’s character just makes him out to be even worse than what people complaind about in the original prequil trilogy, in Lucas version, Anakin’s story is that he wish to gain power to protect the people, like deep inside he tried to tell himself that his actions are for the good of the people. Belated Media’s version on the other hand just want to use the slave origin of Anakin as the main part of his character journey, that after he became Darth Vader had become a slave to his powers.

I would care to differ.

Let’s face it. Unless you’re aware of the time both trilogies were created, you would most likely start off with the first one numerically, that being Episode I. Therefore, keeping the twist hidden would keep those unaware of it wondering who this Darth Vader guy is, until the big payoff in The Empire Strikes Back occurs.

The motives of Anakin in the prequels were, on paper at least, well thought out. BM’s ideas of Anakin’s motives, although different from that of the movies, also acts in a way that makes sense for the character and would be interesting to see on screen. It might be different, sure, but it still works in universe.

3 Likes