IMDB Discussion Topic

Let’s talk about my favorite yet least favorite thing online. IMDB. I love this website for all the movies it contains, it’s helped me discover films and tv shows I’d hadn’t known about, like Ergo Proxy, which is now one of my favorite series. I love the little information it puts for each film/show, from things like the actors names and the little goofs that happened during filmmaking. I also really appreciate the parents guides they have for everything because they tend to be more useful than the actual ratings provided.

On the other hand, IMDB probably has the worst online community I have ever seen, and that’s saying a lot. It’s especially prevalent in the threads for new upcoming movies. People start making assumptions about the film before it comes out with very little evidence for their claims, and they will not listen to you no matter what. On top of that almost everyone just acts like a stuck up elitist jerk. The worst example goes to most of the Star Wars threads, specifically for Rogue One and The Force Awakens. People keep making the same stupid jokes about Mary Sues and so called political agendas (I wont go any further than that) and not actually making any legitimate criticism of the films in question. It’s one of the most infuriating things ever.

Anyways what are your experience with IMDB and what do you like and don’t like about it?

1 Like

Its good for information but really nothing else.

Also when I hear IMDB I just miss hear IM D BOY

4 Likes

I usually just ignore IMDB, and go to Rotten Tomatoes instead. It’s more reliable imo.

1 Like

I find Rotten Tomatoes to align to my view’s on movies more often than not, as such i dont really look at IMDB and instead use Rotten Tomatoes on occasions as a guide to whether to see newer movies.

1 Like

Well you have two options. Either everyone is allowed to say whatever they want, or only a few are granted the the chance to speak their minds based on some very abusable and arbitrary rule.

2 Likes

I only use IMDB for watching trailers and fact-checking stuff on wikipedia, really. I also check reviews for movies I want to watch.

1 Like

I just use it for trailers, other videos, and trivia.

1 Like

The worst people IMO are the people who spam 10/10 ratings for movies that haven’t even come out yet.

2 Likes

IMDB has a terrible userbase, but they’re the best for information and interviews.

1 Like

Ugh, where to even begin on that one. I remember Suicide Squad was a 9.6 when they started allowing ratings (which was about two days before release). In a day, it dropped to an 8.4, which is the fastest drop I’ve ever witnessed on there. This was basically a revelation to me that the movie was gonna be bad. My prediction was right of course. On the other hand I saw something like this happen with Rogue One where the fanboys and haters were both trying to stop each other at once, it started out as an 8.4, dropped to a 7.6, then once it was officially released, it started going up, it’s an 8.1 right now. Just shows you how people act on there :unamused:

2 Likes

I just ignore rating sites. I prefer to have an opinion based on what I’ve watched, unless enough people have reliable evidence of what it’s like. For instance, many people seem to think that Solo utterly disregards any character development for Han Solo, but I actually like it. It’s the only Star Wars movie that’s not from the Rebels vs. Empire viewpoint.

Also, from my experience, IMDB just doesn’t have enough real reviewers to have an accurate opinion. Most of the people there are either people trying to force their opinion upon others, or trying to stop others from doing the same. It results in inaccurate ratings and info.