In-Universe Height Spreadsheet

Where/when was this mentioned? I have never heard of this.

Just finished building all of the 2004 combiners, which makes it the first year with (to the best of my knowledge) all canon models measured! the kraatu doesn’t count

Always imagined the Kralhi being taller…

3 Likes

Wow, how did I miss this for a month? This is awesome. Well done!

Does “Legs” mean legspan? Is that, like, stretching them out “horizontally” or “vertically”?
Also, wing height would have to be pulling the wings up as high as they can go? Or is that just measuring with the wings, while leaving them horizontal? Because it’s a pretty significant height change.

Thoughts:
Bohrok are scary big, lol. They always look stumpy next to a Toa, but I wouldn’t want to run into a five-foot tall thing like that.

And I had no idea that Roodaka/Sidorak scaled to be that tall… although in the movie, Keetongu is clearly bigger, so there’s some artistic license going on somewhere. Still, they’re like, huge.

Nidhiki, Krekka, and Axonn are all shorter than I imagined, although I think it makes sense that they’re not huge, actually.

Also, Vezon being 8-foot is simultaneously amusing and terrifying.

Spiriah is actually pretty tall even among the Makuta, and Icarax (rightly, I feel) is the tallest, barring Teridax.

Some of the measurements definitely aren’t right per canon (Most obviously Tahtorak, but others too), but I feel it’s as good as the sets will give.

Suggestions

• A linear chart like the “Toa” chart, but for everyone would be kinda neat. So we can see like a scale of tallest/shortest characters in the MU per set.
  • Wouldn’t mind seeing some of the DH contest winners that we know how to build, especially the ones that appeared in the story outside of the guidebook (like Ancient, Dweller, etc).
  • Others that I’d love to know include Zyglak, '09 vehicles, and (maybe I’m being optimistic here) Miserix?
3 Likes

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Does “Legs” mean legspan? Is that, like, stretching them out “horizontally” or “vertically”?

Yes, sorry for some of the confusing language here, had to abbreviate to fit the text in the cells. It means legs stretched outward horizontally.

Also, wing height would have to be pulling the wings up as high as they can go?

Yes. IIRC the two models that have this listed are Kardas and Ultimate Dume, and it lists them because people often refer to the maximum wing height of these models when discussing their sizes. For actually scaling these characters, it makes much more sense to go with the head heights.

Bohrok are scary big, lol. They always look stumpy next to a Toa,

Yeah, since there are no humans for reference, I always imagine things scaled as if Toa are human sized even though I know they’re more than a foot taller than most humans. Bohrok were one of the things that surprised me the most because we did them early on. They’re closer to my height than any of the Mata are, lol.

Some of the measurements definitely aren’t right per canon

Oh, stuff like the Tahtorak and to a lesser extent Trinuma are definitely problematic on this chart. They’re more a case of “if I put this model next to a Toa set, how big would it be?” than actual heights. Maybe I should mark the ones that contradict canon…

• A linear chart like the “Toa” chart, but for everyone would be kinda neat. So we can see like a scale of tallest/shortest characters in the MU per set.

Hmm, I didn’t really want to add more pages because I feel the spreadsheet has too many already, but that’s definitely something to consider. Maybe when every widely released set is measured? IIRC we’re only missing a few Master Builder Rahi (still looking for my Slizer gearbox…) and the 2009 vehicles. Might do Toa Mata Nui as well just for fun. Speaking of the vehicles…

Others that I’d love to know include Zyglak, '09 vehicles, and (maybe I’m being optimistic here) Miserix?

The Zyglak and vehicles are definitely on the to-do list. I don’t have the vehicles but I should be able to get the Zyglak done after the Artakha contest is over. I’m not pushing for Miserix because he’s a huge, time consuming model. He also has canon heights listed in FoF and DW (40 and 20 feet, respectively) so he’s low priority for me, but I wouldn’t say no if anyone shared measurements.

• Wouldn’t mind seeing some of the DH contest winners that we know how to build, especially the ones that appeared in the story outside of the guidebook (like Ancient, Dweller, etc).

Would definitely like to get there at some point. My personal priorities lie with finishing the groups we can fully complete (wide-released sets, canon combiners, etc), but getting some fanmade DHs on the sheet is something I’d hope to get to eventually.

2 Likes

why do you include bendy?

3 Likes

Memes

3 Likes

i’ll allow it :wink:

3 Likes

Bendy is very popular in the community that this came from. She was actually on the sheet before the Helryx contest was over. Yeah, she’s non-canon, but Good Guy is on the sheet too.

Good guy is canon. He is a roughly 1:1 scale representation of a figure used in the retelling of legends.

I think.

1 Like

I’ve looked into the puppet situation and while that is a statement generally attributed to Greg, it seems it actually came from Swiftone, who is a Lego employee who worked on Bionicle but AFAIK was never on the story team.

Greg has stated on multiple occasions that Good Guy is not canon.
Official Greg Dialogue | Page 81 (thegreatarchives.com)
Official Greg Discussion | Page 317 (thegreatarchives.com)
Official Greg Discussion | Page 318 (thegreatarchives.com)
Chat with Greg Farshtey | Page 555 (thegreatarchives.com)

2 Likes

Ah, shoot. I guess the canon wasn’t Good enough for him.

4 Likes

Alright, made a few additions to the sheet. First off is Artakha, who measures up at 11.47 feet. IMO a perfectly reasonable height for a description of “at least ten feet”.

Next, the Zyglak as requested by @Toa-of-Snow. This one was pretty surprising to me, as I generally imagine them to be the height of a Toa. But nope, over 11 feet. And that’s just with the horizontal neck as depicted in the instructions. With an upright neck, they’re over 13 feet tall, almost twice as tall as I imagined them. Pretty terrifying to think of these things as around the same height as Artakha or Brutaka even with their heads down.

Also did the Pit War Tortoise and Manutri. The only stuff missing from 2007 now are the fanmade Prisoners of the Pit which are the lowest priority canon models for me.

Measurements that are contradicted by canon (e.g. Tahtorak, Trinuma) now have notes attached to them.

3 Likes

Well you can’t really beat…how tall is the great spirit robot again?

Man Artillery’s a lot shorter than most Toa!
I mean I meant for him to be short but just not to this extent.

2 Likes

Just been working on a project that required a list of measurements stipulated in the canon, thought I might as well leave these here for interest’s sake. Some of them might be helpful to include in the document, others are just fun trivia to compare against.
(Unless otherwise stated, these are all in feet, because that’s what Greg uses):

• 1 inch - Rough natural size of a Gadunka.
  • 2.25 - Maximum legal size for a pet Rahi in Metru Nui.
  • 4.5 (1 bio) - Average Matoran size.
  • 5.0 - Wingspan of a Mountain Striker (obscure Bara Magna creature).
  • 7.0 - Approximate size of the Enlarged Niazesk in Karda Nui.
  • 6.0-12.0 - Size range of a Kahgarak (height)
  • 9.0-18.0 - Size range of a Kahgarak (width)
  • 9.0 - Trinuma’s canon height.
  • 9.0 - Approximate height of a Rahkshi (pretty close to this spreadsheet, actually!)
  • 9.0 - 13.5 - Minimum size of an Ash Bear (it’s unclear if this is length or height).
  • 10.0 - Tobduk’s minimum estimated height - he’s described as “easily” this big, which lines up beautifully with the spreadsheet.
  • 10.0 - Approximate size of the mutant Lohrak. It’s wingspan was about double this. Of note, this is significantly bigger than a natural Lohrak, apparently.
  • 12.0 - Gold-Skinned Being canon height.
  • 15.0 - Full length of a Sand Bat (another Bara Magna creature - this one actually appeared in a book,though).
  • 20.0 - Approximate size of the City-Building Creatures from the City of Silver pocket dimension.
  • 20.0 - Approximate length of the Red Serpent in Maze of Shadows.
  • 20.0 - Canon size of the form Teridax took in The Kingdom alternate universe.
  • 20.0 - Canon size of Miserix’s smaller form that he adopted after his escape from Artidax.
  • 30.0 - Minimum height of the Zivon (it’s described as “well over thirty feet”).
  • 30.0 - Length of the Xian-developed “Devastator” lances that Skakdi use in Tahtorak jousting.
  • 40.0 - This seems to be Greg’s go-to “big monster” number. It’s a given size for the Tahtorak, the Skopio, the Bio-Mechanical dinosaur Lewa finds on Bota Magna, and the “red dragon” form Miserix took while he was on Artidax (the one his canon appearence depicts).
  • 40.0 - This is also the height of the walls in Tridax’s chamber on Destral - the one that’s filled with shadow Takanuvas.
  • 60.0 - The size of the enormous Rahi that escapes from the archives in Dwellers in Darkness.
  • 60.0 - This is the given maximum size a Mask of Growth user can attain. Of note, Bomonga is described as reaching a size “almost” as big as the Tahtorak. Either he wasn’t using the mask to it’s full potential, or the Tahtorak might have been considerably bigger than forty feet at this point (can anyone find a source that conflicts this theory by describing it as being forty feet sometime close to/after Dwellers in Darkness?)
  • 65.00 - The biggest given size for one of the First Rahi. Many of them don’t have given sizes, so it’s possible some were considerably bigger.
  • 100.0 - The thickness of the ice wall beneath Metru Nui that trapped the Kanohi Dragon. There doesn’t appear to be a given size for the Dragon itself anywhere, unfortunately, though I’d love to be proven wrong.
  • 200.0 - The canon size of the Ancient Sea Behemoth that Kongu summons.
  • 200.0 - The height of the stone wall Tren Krom summons around his island to trap the Federation of Fear.
  • 200.0 - The size of the mutant Rockworm the Metru fight in Maze of Shadows.
  • 300.0 - Why, this is the size of the Three-Hundred-Foot-Long-Mutant Venom Eel, of course.
  • 500.0 - The height of the walls in Destral’s throne room.
  • 27,000,000 - The canon size of the Prototype Robot
  • 40,000,000 - The canon size of the Great Spirit Robot (don’t shoot the messenger! :stuck_out_tongue:)
8 Likes