Inika-Scale Hordika Combat Staffs

I’ve been sitting on these builds for over a year, so I figure I might as well finally share them.

I’ve always thought it would be cool if the Toa Tool that Kongu took on the mission to Zakaz in Reign Of Shadows was one of the Toa Hordika’s Combat Staffs, so that inspired me to make Matau’s Staff (pictured above) at (roughly) Inika scale. While I was at it, I made the other five Staffs as well:

These Staffs were one of my first attempts at replicating exact shapes with System bricks, and while they aren’t perfect, I’m really happy with how they turned out:

(Note that the original model of Whenua's Staff (top row) is missing the "ridges" on the shaft)

Of course, the Staffs look good with Hordika figures as well:

The Staffs are entirely purist with the exception of Matau’s Staff, which uses some 2x2 plates with a Technic hole:

Are there any favourites? If anyone can think of any building techniques to better replicate the original shapes, I’m open to suggestions.

32 Likes

Ooh these are pretty good. I especially like how much they resemble the original pieces.

1 Like

Dude, these are great. The ones that stand out to me the most are Nokama’s Axe and Matau’s Shuffleboard staff, the shaping is fantastic.

You mentioned Whenua’s spear is missing the ridges at the bottom of the staff- not sure if that was intentional or not, but I wonder if some 1/2L axle bushings could simulate them effectively?

Regardless, these are wonderful. Great for purists and poor people who couldn’t buy a 3D print if they wanted to.

10/10!

4 Likes

Okay, these are awesome.

1 Like

oh ok these are good!

1 Like

Thanks; this was one of my first System-heavy projects, and I’m glad to see people like it.

Thanks; it was really fun to figure how to use a “real” Bionicle piece in the axe, especially given how similar the shapes already were.

I was referring to the “hand guards” in along the shaft being missing in the stud.io model of the original part:

However, you’re also correct that I missed the smaller ribs in my own model. I have now fixed that:

6 Likes

Oh, whoops lol. Well, glad I could offer something. I’ll be wracking my brain for a solution to the center ones now

1 Like

After looking at Whenua’s Staff again to add the ridges, I’ve come up with another upgrade:

This version has a slightly slimmer head, and gets rid of the dark gray piece from the original design:

(I also got rid of the open studs from the 2x4 plate, but that should have been done on the original design as well)

6 Likes

These are amazing! Good job reimagining these weapons in larger scale!

1 Like

Pretty good re-creation of those small pieces.

1 Like

never knew I needed these

3 Likes