Interstellar

I just got back from seeing Christopher Nolan’s latest movie, Interstellar. 'Twas a very, very good movie IMO, though I have yet to see if it holds up to repeated viewings. Anyway, what did y’all think?

Remember to use spoiler tags! For instance,

I’m not really sure what to make of the ending. I liked it on the whole, but since the rest of the movie was very “realistic” hard sci-fi, it seemed a bit out-of place. But again, that’s just my initial impression.

4 Likes

I have yet to see it, if I even will, but from the looks of it it seems very much like another Gravity-eque movie, which would be fantastic.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how similar it is, not having seen Gravity. My impression is the Gravity was mainly focused on making you feel as if you were in outer space, and had a bare-bones plot? Interstellar is much more plot/character-focused, though it does do a very good job of making the space travel feel realistic.

2 Likes

Ah. Yeah, Gravity’s plot was a little weak, although the movie itself was fantastic.

more so because I saw it in Imax 3D, but that’s beside the point

1 Like

Yup. I was too lazy to go see it in IMAX, and I figured there wasn’t much point watching it at home. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You’d be right :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I did feel it was a bit Gravity-esque. Lots of things go wrong, just like in Gravity…
Very specific ending spoilers ahead!

I agree with @John_Smith that the ending was a little odd. I really liked the movie up to the point that he entered the black hole. The tension and thrill of everything fell apart for me there. I didn’t find the it too confusing once everything was guessed/explained, but it just felt too… out there. It felt too strange in this movie, even if it is a sci-fi movie.

2 Likes

It didn’t bother me as much because I saw it coming (I’m very good at predicting plots). But it was definitely a lot more “out there” than the rest of the movie.

I loved that anime/soundtrack, Daft Punk was awesome >u>

2 Likes

I think you’re talking about something completely different.

The first time I watched it, the ending was definitely a bit odd, but watching it a second time, it felt a lot less out-of-place. Move as a whole is absolutely brilliant IMO, though Inception remains my personal favorite.

The more I’ve thought about it, the less the ending bothers me. It was foreshadowed about as well as it could have been, with the alien hand or whatever it as when they first go through the wormhole, and, of course, the “ghost” (keep in mind, I’ve still only seen it once. =P ) As for Inception…it’s certainly a good movie, but I didn’t like it as much because it doesn’t leave you with any “big ideas” to think about, really–just “was it all a dream or not?”

1 Like

Yeah, there is that, But I still really like the whole overall concept. :slight_smile:

1 Like