Is Dinosaur-themed Bionicle a good approach?

Going back to the series from the beginning to end, at the starting year, we had the original series where there was the Toa Mata with a tribal theme for the storyline thanks to the Online Game, Metru Nui represented an advanced ancient civilization, Voya Nui was another island theme, Mahri Nui was water themed, Karda Nui was both swamp/Sky themed. There is one theme we did not get at all, which is a Dinosaur-like theme. Do you guys think there should’ve been a Dinosaur theme for Bionicle? I mean we are getting contests regarding Dinosaurs by DuckBricks on youTube as well as a Rahi Dinosaur in the Bionicle Mistika online Game. And if this was implemented this would have been interesting to see some new Kanohi that are based on the prehistoric times. For example, say that there is a Kanohi that resembles a Triceratops that grants the user to use have powers similar to a Triceratops or a Stegosaurus like Kanohi that can make the user generate special Roof like spikes and blast them at foes. Would this them work or not? Please let me know.

4 Likes

I feel like the closest we got to a dinosaur was the skirimax set and that set was exceptional

5 Likes

That may be, but I am talking about a huge Dinosaur theme where there are not only Triceratops like characteristics, I mean it takes the whole concept of the Dinosaurs and integrates them for the storyline to add some lore.

2 Likes

this concept could be used for a triceratops

6 Likes

Yes and no.

While I would love to see dinosaur Rahi and/or other dinosaur-like characters (Zyglak?), I don’t like the idea of any Bionicle wave having a “theme” to the extent you’ve suggested. One of Bionicle’s strengths, in my eyes, was the consistent neutrality of its settings and characters. Yes, 2007 and 2008 had underwater and flight themes, respectively, but those were both fairly generic location-based themes, and virtually all of the characters still primarily had theme-neutral powers. Compare this to other Lego lines like Hero Factory or Ninjago, the latter of which has had multiple waves of snake-people riding their snake-vehicles into snake-combat while waving their snake-weapons; or the fact that, in both lines, the heroes seem to get a power upgrade every few months that’s exactly designed to fight the new theme of bad guys; the whole thing just feels contrived.

That’s not to say that I don’t think dinosaurs could work in Bionicle: I could easily see there being a wave of dinosaur sets; this was even teased in some of the final parts of the Bionicle story (though it’s unlikely that there were ever actually any sets in production, cancelled or not). Where I draw the line is at the Toa (or non-dinosaur villains) developing new dinosuar-armour or getting new dinosaur-Kanohi; like I said above, the whole thing would just feel a bit cheesy, what with the limited in-story usefulness of such items outside of the demands of the “theme”.

In summary, I would definitely want to see dinosaurs in Bionicle, but not a dinosaur theme.

10 Likes

Maybe the Toa Nuva’s jungle adaptive armor includes some dinosaur motifs in their design, that might be interesting

2 Likes

Do you remember the Terrain Crawler? It is probably one of the reasons why it inspired the Kanohi Faxon. I mean if there is a Dinosaur inspired Kanohi, it would make the story feel diverse to help show that it is not only Rahi that the Kanohi takes inspiration from.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is a Greg-specific question…

4 Likes

Didn’t this get teased in one of the comics, but then Bionicle got shot 17 times in the chest by Lego before they could do anything with it?

2 Likes

That gets back to my point about the other themes feeling contrived: why would the Adaptive Armor copy dinosaur shapes? The armour has always only ever been shown to adapt to environments, not copy surrounding creatures.

Maybe a nearby creature is adapted so well to the environment that the Adaptive Armor comes up with something similar?

4 Likes

It could be in a place where there are more Dinosaur fauna for the Toa to blend in. I mean it would confuse some Rahi.

3 Likes

I guess it depends on if the armor’s systems consider wildlife to be part of the environment or not

2 Likes

Wait what do you mean it depends? How specifically? Is it supposed to change the user of the adaptive armor with the number of Dinosaur Rahi as well as the type of Biome the Toa are in?

2 Likes

For example, in the Phantoka bit, the armor gave them rockets and wings because they needed to fly. That was it, no issue with wildlife. As I recall, the Adaptive Armor never once, in story, adapted to accommodate Rahi or animals.

However, if the wildlife are a significant enough component to the environment, could the Adaptive Armor accommodate that? Would the armor even acknowledge the creatures? Or does the armor only care about things like temperature, altitude, atmosphere, etc? As far as my memory serves, we don’t know either way.

3 Likes

Since it canonically adapts to give the wearer the maximum advantage in a specific environment, it could give them Rahi/animal characteristics if necessary.

2 Likes

To be honest I would just like to have the ability to buy newer Bionicle parts in stores again. Even if it was a dinosaur set I’d still use them for my own creation. Otherwise it may be one of the only other way Lego might consider reusing the CCBS elements again.

3 Likes