is MOC-ing ptw?

i see a lot of MOCs that are huge and lots of pieces and make me feel a little sad that i may not be able to reach that level
but this is my question is lego MOC-ing pay to win?

3 Likes

Not really, you can look at chubbybots in flickr, with just three simple mixels he makes amazing mocs

4 Likes

For that matter, look at the LEGO Life app – plenty of the models on there are not big and elaborate.

7 Likes

I don’t think you can really say it’s “pay-to-win”, because it’s really not a competition, unless it is, but I would say that more parts does make for more intricate MoCs. Maybe not better, but certainly more complex.

3 Likes

After thinking about it, I’m split. Obviously bigger mocs get more attention, but you also have to have the skills to build it nicely. Meanwhile smaller mocs might not get as much attention, but they can be pretty amazing.

I’d say it depends on your skills. Now, you obviously have to buy some lego to build mocs, so I guess it sorta pay to win. But how much you have to pay to win, is up to your skill set.

3 Likes

There is always LDD, but even then; some users don’t accept them in contest and the update is very slow and lack on newer Constraction pieces.

5 Likes

LDD is also a pain to work with, along with most Lego Buildering Programs.

5 Likes

The community tends to gravitate towards more complex builds yes, no use hiding that.

In one sense it is pay to win cause you will be able to obtain and work with a lot more parts, limiting you less with the build complexity or just generally that one good part that you want that is essential for your simple build, but you gotta pay for it online to have it.

The digital build programs are a pain to work with, and most of the times the pieces that you want to use arent even added in the program.

2 Likes

Most of the time; yes unless you already have a large supply of parts. It all depends on what you want; some make complicated Mocs and others just takes sets and make alt builds / combo models.

Also about building programs; I build transformers and I can’t tell you how many times I’ll fully build one side but the other side just has that one piece that should go in like on the complete side but refuses to.

Changed Catergory back to the original one, since this isn’t really asking Greg anything. ~OT

3 Likes

I don’t think so. It’s more like a “you need to be there to snatch up the right parts at the right time before they get expensive”. I now have a good G2 part collection that I got back in 2015-16, and now it’s worth its weight in protodermis.

It’s also less about sheer volume of parts as much as variety of parts. When I first started I had no idea what I was doing, so I bought CCBS, technic, and system parts. The more part types you have, the easier it is to get out of a jam.

1 Like

As someone who uses ldd on a regular basis, I feel this.

1 Like

Artwork in any physical medium is pay to win, in the sense that you’re most likely going to get the supplies at a store.

2 Likes

uh… i don’t think like this anymore why is this revived?

It came up on my “related” list when I was making my topic on MoC copyrights and I thought it was interesting. Nothing personal going on.

3 Likes

What exactly are you supposed to be “winning” here anyways?

1 Like

Clout? Internet points? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes