Jaller's curse?

So, fun fact: at one point in the 07 story, Jaller very briefly touches the Mask of life. We all know what that means, that mask doesn’t like being touched, and Greg has confirmed that the mask cursed Jaller for the two seconds it was in his grasp.

My question is, what do you think that curse might have been? You can go with the plausible – it would have made his fire come to life if he used his elemental power – the fun – it made him be cripplingly terrified of dying, but he wasn’t holding it long enough to notice – or the silly – it made him only able to speak in rhyme. Go nuts.

7 Likes

It caused him to be far more susceptible to hypnosis. If the curse did stay, that explains the whole deal with Takadox and the GSB later on. If it didn’t? It would’ve been way worse.

4 Likes

It cursed him with a knowledge that he had been cursed, but never actually putting any effects on the curse, so that for the rest of his life Jaller would be waiting to find out what would happen because of the curse.

10 Likes

He gained knowledge of a past life. He remembered he once he had deep feelings for Hahli, but then the great death retcon was unable to bring that back with him. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

How about the far-out?

Greg has stated before that he wanted to do something with the fact that Jaller is made of Teridax’s life force:

I don’t know how Greg originally intended to work this in, but Jaller’s contact with the Ignika seems like a great place to do it. Perhaps it temporarily strengthened the “Teridax” inside Jaller, but the contact was too brief for this to be relevant.

In this hypothetical scenario, I suspect that Greg’s original plan (before he ran out of novel space) would have involved Jaller needing to get the Ignika to Matoro through something requiring more contact than a slap.

6 Likes

I think his curse was he was incapable of abandoning his devoted pet crabs. This is a curse because he loves abandoning crabs

2 Likes