Kana, Toa of Ash

A cryptic toa at the best of times, Kana’s past is poisoned by her past mistakes.

Kana is another older character, going all the way back to October 2009. She’s in dire need of modern models for both her matoran form and her appearance as she lived on Spherus Magna. She’s part of the Cyclic Plane Storyline.

EDIT JUN 2018: Kana now has those modern models, built for the preliminaries of the 2018 Bio-Cup! They can be found below.

Kana started life as a Ce-Matoran living on one of the Southern Islands. She was a simple villager for some time, spending what time wasn’t needed tending fields and gardens exploring the wilderness. Some time after the formation of the Elemental Council, an enclave was built on her island to honour the Great Spirit.

One fateful day, the Onu Nui, Reglas appeared at the enclave. The rahi sought a Ce-Matoran to help him with a very important experiment. He needed someone with innate mental strength. Kana volunteered, and was whisked off to Korrothis, the holy island lit by Mata-Nui’s heartlight where the elemental council made its home.

Using the powers of a Great Being artefact known as the Soulforge, deep within the caves of Korrothis, Kana was exposed to strange energies that modified the protodites within her. She was not only transformed into a toa, but granted power over elemental carbon as well. Reglas was fascinated, and insisted on keeping Kana on Korrothis and training her himself.

Kana learned how to control soot and ash, sugars and woods and graphite, even dabbled in the art of manipulating living plants and animals. Over time, she became an expert healer, and she was valued for her ability to sense the flow of carbon in an environment - for the elemental council, keeping balance in the Matoran Universe was their main Duty. She was named an Archon of Earth, one of the select toa who served Reglas directly. She learned many of his tightly kept secrets.

Kana would often be borrowed by the Le-Nui, Tanaya and later the Le-Nui, Wakahni when Tanaya stepped down. She could sense pollution in the air and remove it - something toa of the traditional elements had trouble with. The vortixx of Xia came to depend on her for this, rather than cutting emissions as they promised Korrothis they would.

Disaster struck one day as Kana, pressed to reverse more and more damage every time she visited, lost her temper with the chief industrial leader of Xia who was heckling her. She had merely turned to hit her, but in doing so lost concentration on what she was doing, dropping the heavy cloud of toxic gases on top of them both. The leader died in front of Kana, despite her frantic efforts to heal her. Because of her mistake, Kana had broken the Toa Code.

Horrified and ashamed, Kana fled Xia and went into self-imposed exile. She changed her name to Brogas, a vortixx word for witch or hag. After being found and attacked by Tallus, an archon of fire and toa of hydrogen, she retreated further, to the far reaches of the Southern Islands.

Reglas, however, would have none of it. He reigned her back in and had her join a new toa team he was suspicious about, the Toa Vanembar - not only to have eyes and ears within this new team, but so that Kana could relearn what it truly meant to be a toa, as he had "obviously not taught [Kana] well enough"!

And so, Kana joined up with the new toa Gringat, Xalos, Orabmar, Gratigan, Soleku and Abarium, another Archon of Earth who was really just there to make sure Kana adjusted. She found most of the team to be too immature and mostly kept to herself or Abarium in her usual cryptic sort of manner, but she got along VERY well with Orabmar, who was similarly gruff. Xalos, the leader, tended to be strictly formal with her, knowing full well why she was on his team and always gauging her for signs of weakness. She took up Gringat’s habit of smoking morbuzakh leaves.

Unfortunately, the Toa Vanembar did not stay together for all too long. Abarium disappeared, Gratigan was killed by the [Kanohi Dragon] (BIONICLEsector01) and Orabmar was shot and killed by pirates. Without Orabmar and Abarium around, Kana began to lose hope. Believing that she was bringing bad luck to the team because of her past, she jumped to what she thought would be her death in the Silver Sea.

But instead of dying, Kana suvived, but was exposed to mutagen and transformed into a hordika-like creature. She found her way into the network of tubes and caverns within the framework of the Great Spirit Robot, the Shadowcaverns, and lived a strange, maddened existence there for centuries.

Kana became able to breathe the poisonous vapours that pervade the caverns. Constantly belching out smoke and flames, the fallen toa usually killed whatever beings she ran into, deliberately or not. A launcher weapon developed by Gringat became fused to her left arm that was able to launch explosive mortars. Her mutations transformed it into one that fired massive burning balls of anthracite.

Kana’s memories of this period are hazy at best. Korrothis gained a new Toa of Carbon in the form of Harleci and life carried on. It was not until centuries later that Kana was swept up in the army of rahkshi Teridax sent to invade Spherus Magna. Teridax did not know who she was, but took control of her anyway and had her fight for him alongside ja’kat, skakdi, skrall and vortixx.

During the battle for Spherus Magna, the Le-Nui, Gringat recognised her and trapped her in a bubble.

Mata-Nui used the Ignika to restore many denizens of the old Matoran Universe, including Kana. She and Orabmar were reunited and, using their new fusion abilites granted by Mata-Nui, had a daughter, Aza. Kana and Orabmar joined the new toa militia known as the Knights of Spherus Magna.

UPDATE/EDIT:
Kana has been (re)added to my character roster on Champions Online, a superhero MMORPG with an excellent character creator which is free to play. Would definitely recommend the game.

Kana here uses a blend of fire, healing, shadow (for the smoky effect) and tech powers. She’s proven to be a great character for RP too. I’d love to remake her as a MOC with a hood like that.

UPDATE/EDIT:
For the 2018 Bio-Cup, Kana has been remade with both her matoran form and her form as she appeared on Spherus Magna after being cured by Mata-Nui.

48 Likes

Rocking the bell bottoms… And apparently the crazy mutations. Great backstory however.

Oh wow. This is pretty neat.

6 Likes

Very good, have a “nice topic”.

1 Like

Looks kind of messy… I dunno about the “bell bottom” look. However, I enjoyed the story, and it is interesting to see a MoC that doesn’t use any CCBS.

1 Like

The MOC looks pretty good, even the “bell bottom” look looks decent, but the back of the legs look really weak.

1 Like

Its ok but needs to have more silver and red instead of blue. Also the bell bottoms throw it off. Nice use of black though. I really think its from ash.

1 Like

@Anaru_LST

@HaliTheMaskMaker @Oniwah @SmeatyFlavor @Zero

The “bell bottoms” are more meant to be part of an entire baggy sort of black robe look across her whole body. I just really wanted to include Stronius’ parts on her because of her element.
Not sure why you’d want me to add silver and red…?

3 Likes

But does she turn into a dragon like a certain other Kana? =P

Anyways, neat MOC. I like the fact that you have two forms for her.

1 Like

0/10 no nuva boobs
/s
Over this is a pretty good moc with a great back story. Great work

1 Like

Man, your mocs look so cool

UPDATE/EDIT:
Kana has been (re)added to my character roster on Champions Online, a superhero MMORPG with an excellent character creator which is free to play. Would definitely recommend the game.

Kana here uses a blend of fire, healing, shadow (for the smoky effect) and tech powers. She’s proven to be a great character for RP too. I’d love to remake her as a MOC with a hood like that.

1 Like

Silver because of the mask. red to accent instead of the blue because blue doesn’t make sense because she’s a toa of ash. Trying to think like a volcano kind of.

She’s a toa of elemental carbon. The “Toa of Ash” bit is to do with her backstory as well as her element.
The mask is trans-clear, not silver.
And the blue represents a pure flame. The glowing red I put in for her eyes though.

1 Like

cool. That makes more sense. I’m sorry i thought the mask was silver… I have bad eyesight and I only need glases for distance though… Bleh… My bad.

Heh, no worries. I get where you’re coming from now though.
I do wanna remake her and if I do I think some orange highlights might be nice…

2 Likes

UPDATE/EDIT:
For the 2018 Bio-Cup, Kana has been remade with both her matoran form and her form as she appeared on Spherus Magna after being cured by Mata-Nui.

3 Likes