Kanohi Kraahkan (ver. iylv)

I’m back from the dead, and I bring my version of the kanohi kraahkan. Includes, both versions with and without the horns, and can be inserted from top or front (but not both), depending on the version you download.

I know it’s not the clearest render, but it looks like a black metal album, so rule of cool!

11 Likes

Nice mask! I wonder, would it be possible to make the horns as a separate part, so they could be colored differently from the rest of the mask?

1 Like

They can be, check the files in the Thingiverse link.

2 Likes

Oh nice! Thanks, it looks great!

Imma be honest, with all the additional waves and teeth and nose cavity and added holes, it all feels waaay too busy. There’s a clean simplistic design in the Original kraahkan that’s just lost here, and tacking on the horns afterwards doesn’t help it any.

I understand the goal of lathering it with edginess, but it really does look like the original kraahkan with some bootleg pieces glued on like an oc who wears the kraahkan. It comes off like Teridax listens to skrillex.

There’s some good concepts here, like making the curves around the mask’s eyes much smoother and flow better, and taking out the second face for consistency, but most of the changes make it hard to look at the actual mask itself.

4 Likes

CRAWLING IN MY CRAWL

To be fair, you can always download it, strip the parts you don’t like in Blender (I modelled them as separate parts), and reupload it as a remix.

No, seriously, you can remove the teeth, the horns, the side blades, since they’re all seperate parts.

1 Like

The scoped version you added looks really cool. I hadn’t thought about additions like that for Makuta.

I’m going to agree and disagree with Ghid here - overall it seems messy with all the horns and complicated shapes, as compared to how relatively simple the original was. Additionally, the prongs at the front are very far from what the Kraahkan normally has and looks more like an upgraded Vorox than the mask of shadows. I think it works better as a mask for some sort of creature, something like a wendigo. I also don’t like the indentation on the front, as the Rahkshi-like ridge we got on the original made it clear that the Rahkshi were related to Makuta.

At the same time, I do see where you were going with this. I think the jagged edges on this don’t fit the set we got of Teridax or Icarax, but they could be something like an alternate 2008 Teridax, seeing as the rest of the 08 Makuta were somewhat jagged. I think the main part, if you added back in the Rahkshi ridge, would work. The teeth as well - I think it could look really interesting. I’d recommend condensing the prongs together more, so it more closely resembles the original. I think you only need one set of prongs as well, two sets just clutters up the design. I quite like the scope if we’re going with an 08 vibe too.

Overall, not sure if it’s a good Kraahkan upgrade, but I think it can be good for other designs.

2 Likes

As I’ve mentioned earlier, if you don’t like parts of it, you can download the files edit it, and upload it as a remix. It’s not that hard to change it, considering as the topology is already there, maybe deleted the greebles, maybe alt-s the indents, maybe even extrude out the cheeks as a substitute for the blades, then soft select them without messing too much with the underlying geometry.

Yeah, the main inspiration was a wendigo. Now that you mentioned the rahkshi ridge, I see the point of that. At the same time, I want my wendigo skull.

Also, you should know I don’t exactly do masks that look close to the original. See my mask of psychometry, rode, conjuring or incomprehension.

Or, you know, use it for your Kabura MOC. Especially the Tech variant.

1 Like