Kurahk - Animated Series [CHARACTER DESIGN]

Took longer then I thought because I was busy working on something else. But here you go.

The deviation in style from Var’s is to use slightly different shapes to the original designs, and make it slightly more bulbous and less sleek. I also made the legs shorter, and I’ll get to that in a bit. The design probably would need some revision to fit in witht the rest of the characters a little better.
The weapon design is based off @DarkHenrik and @Oomatu’s rahkshi weapon designs, but looks more like a scythe than a pickaxe here because of its size.

Considering in canon he comes from a royal family, I wanted to make it seem like he’s trying to cling on to his sense of importance after turning into a giant yeti-rage-monster by using a red cloak and a crest on his chest.
He also refuses to walk on four limbs, despite his transformation forcing him to walk like a gorilla, probably hurting his back. It’s also why his legs are stubby and short in comparison to the Toa.

A size comparison to Lerahk and some pose/posture tests:

As for wether a cape could work on an Axl-fig:

@Kaituhi tested it out for me and works surprisingly well. Here are the several attempts at making a cape that fits:

And here are some crude measurements, for the curious.

Hope you enjoy.

45 Likes

Interesting take on the design and character; however I must admit, it looks more like a pre-mutation design rather than a post. The cape might be an interesting idea though.
I always saw Kurahk’s character as an aggressive and destructive person who was constrained in a noble society, and his transformation would act as his bottled up anger in physical form. So, he’d be almost embracing the beast he became and throw dignity to the wind.

5 Likes

That looks awesome! I love the cape!

Love the custom cape on Axel. Goes further into making all of this more believable for a show, and set forms. Amazing work, as always.

I really love this design. I must admit though that the head kinda throws it off for me. I always thought that they all have the same-ish head. But TTV hasn’t canonized anything yet I think, so who knows. This is still really cool though

1 Like

while i do like this design, i agree with the others here in that the mask looks too different for being a Rahkshi mask, which makes the design look ither more like this is just Kurahk’s original appearance before becoming a Rahkshi, or possibly a knight from the same house as Kurahk.

also, do anyone know for sure that Kurahk’s canon backgrounds is of being from a royal family? Given that the story bible has not been updated yet with info about the other Rahkshi’s origins so far, i am wondering.

The problem with the design is that he’s supposed to be more mammalian; it’d look pretty weird if he had the same small, snakey head. Apart from that, I had the idea that the Lerahk mask and the Kurahk mask were the only two molds that would exist for the villains: Turahk, Guurahk and Lerahk would wear the “traditional” mask, while Kurahk, Panrahk and Vorahk wear the “horned” variant. [quote=“DarkMaestro, post:2, topic:42666, full:true”]
Interesting take on the design and character; however I must admit, it looks more like a pre-mutation design rather than a post. The cape might be an interesting idea though.
I always saw Kurahk’s character as an aggressive and destructive person who was constrained in a noble society, and his transformation would act as his bottled up anger in physical form. So, he’d be almost embracing the beast he became and throw dignity to the wind.
[/quote]

I added some more images that should give some perspective: I drew him with the idea in mind that he’s almost ten feet tall. Admittedly it’s difficult to convey his size by himself with no reference. Besides that, the poses should clarify that he shouldn’t really be standing in the first place - he’s leaning on his pickaxe. The mutation externalizes his flaws, but they don’t completely consume him, they just get worse.
…Which leads me to my own reading of Kurahk’s character. Instead of having him be a generic rage monster, anger is more of a drive for him…the point is that he does bottle it up. Imagine what he could think of Kopaka, keeping in mind that he may be royal and wanted the throne: you hate someone because he was birthed onto a throne, and later turned into a mythical hero by virtue of being himself. In other words, to him Kopaka is a double-chosen one who has had everything handed to him since he was born - that’s pretty good reason for someone to be at least jealous of him. If Kurahk loses sight of what he wanted as Kualus, his whole backstory goes out the window and he essentially becomes a different character.

2 Likes

I can’t even call this a rahkshi. It simply looks nothing like one.

3 Likes

I can see this as being a Rahkshi wearing a helmet or something.

This is very impressive, nice work on the cape.

Beautiful design and great ideas. He looks a bit like a weary brute, but if he’s trying to retain regality despite having been mostly transformed into a beast, this could certainly be an interesting villain for Kopaka. Kopaka being about finesse and calculated action, white (or ice blue) rahagah is a ten foot tall gorilla lord. I like it.
How are the horns attached? Is it a helmet, mask or his head? - Nevermind, you mentioned it’s a mask.

Pretty good, but one question. What program are you using to draw in? Is it from intous or photoshop? Do you also use a tablet? @Ragdoll

I use Adobe Illustrator CC on an HP Pavillion laptop. Not exactly a tablet, but it does have a touch screen.

1 Like

Ok, first of all, the concept looks awesome!

Second, I love you’re Transformers Animated-esque style!

the main problem is that the designed is a bit too different from the normal Rahkshi head design, It looks more like a helmet from a medieval LEGO theme, like Knights Kingdom, or even Nexo Knights.

The reason you came up with for why he has a different mask is ok, i just think you should come up with some more designs. As the mask looks now, i think people would probably mistake this as being what Kurahk looked like before becoming a Rahkshi.

Also, while the design for the Pick of Rage ended up looking more like a scythe here, i am actually thinking of making this scythe a new weapon for Kurahk for a series 2 image list of Rahkshi weapons.

how does the name “Scythe of Vengeance” sound to you?

2 Likes

I won’t lie, but the mask reminds me of Skull Warriors or Skull Bashers mask.

Also, isn’t He supposed to be part animal?

Anyways, I really like your art.

1 Like