Land of the Lost (BIONICLE Alternatives #2)

Next installment of my alternate universe series. As with the last one, this was written years ago and I’m only just now getting around to publishing them here.

Previous installment: The Empire of Makuta
Land of the Lost Banner

CHAPTER ONE

The morning screech of a Lava Hawk awoke Balta from his slumber. He moved to get up but found that his limbs were too stiff to lift himself up. The Ta-Matoran cursed to himself; yet another failing of his “repaired” body given to him by Karzahni.

“You going to get up by any chance?”

He craned his head to see a Matoran of Water standing in the doorway of his hut. Hands planted firmly on her hips, a wry smirk played on her azure mask.

“This is the third time this week, Balta,” she said. “You shouldn’t always strain yourself just to impress others. Sooner or later your arms are going to fall off.”

“I know, Dalu, it’s just…” He sighed. “I know I’m good at making useful inventions- and I enjoy doing that, don’t get me wrong. But then I see you, Garan, and the others doing the heavy-lifting and all the tough jobs and…”

When Balta’s voice trailed off, Dalu chose then to interject. “No offense, Balta, but you sound like Kazi whining about being stuck here. Here, let me help you up.”

She grabbed the Ta-Matoran’s hands and pulled him out of his cot. After moving his arms and legs around to loosen them up, Balta smiled weakly at his friend. “Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it. Velika is working on some project of his; he could use your help.”

Balta nodded and followed her out of his hut. Greeting them as they walked out was a humid gust of wind. Dark clouds hung over the Matoran Cliff Village as Mount Valmai groaned in the distance, lava running down towards its base.

Balta grimaced. Voya Nui was far from an attractive place to visit, but it was the only place the Matoran could call home; they simply had to make it work.

Walking past other Matoran as they worked on building a stronger shelter to withstand Valmai’s next eruption, Balta found his Po-Matoran friend Velika tinkering with primitive machines. Balta was never sure if his friend had made the machines or found them somewhere on the island; he could never get a straight answer from him.

“Hey, Velika,” he said to the Po-Matoran. “How’s it going?”

Velika looked up at him and smiled, saying nothing. Balta looked over him and saw that it was not machines he was looking over but rather a slumbering Burnak tiger.

“That’s Piruk’s pet, isn’t it?” Balta asked. “What are you doing with it? Where is he?”

“Friend of Air goes where the wind takes him,” Velika said, speaking enigmatic riddles as always. “Loyal pet stays behind, though he misses the scent of his master.”

Balta frowned. “Piruk’s run off? Does Garan know about this?”

The Po-Matoran did not reply, stroking the Burnak’s head as if his friend had not spoken. Concerned, Balta went to seek out Garan, the chosen leader of the Matoran on Voya Nui. He soon found the Matoran of Earth working with Kazi, Dezalk, and others on restoring huts that had been destroyed during Mount Valmai’s previous eruption. Noticing Balta’s approach, Garan turned to his old friend and smiled.

“What can I do for you, Balta?” the Onu-Matoran asked.

“Velika told me that Piruk’s run off,” the Ta-Matoran said. “Is he on a scouting mission or something?”

Garan’s smile became a frown. “I didn’t send him on one. Did Velika say where he went?”

“If he did, would I still be standing here?”

Garan sighed as he looked off towards the distance. “It’s not like Piruk to run off on his own. He knows about the dangers that are out there and is frightened by the mere thought of them.”

“Should we set off to find him?” Balta asked.

“It’ll be dangerous,” Kazi muttered, gesturing to the Green Belt that laid beyond the village. “Rahi are out and about, and some won’t shy away from eating Matoran. Odds are they’ve gotten to Piruk by now.”

“I won’t be able to rest until I know for sure,” Balta said, a determined expression on his mask. “Whether you’re with me or not, I’m going to find him.”

“Wait, Balta!” Garan reached out to stop the Matoran of Fire from leaving.

Balta sighed. “Garan, you can’t stop me–”

“I know, and I’m not trying to.” The Onu-Matoran smiled. “I just don’t want you to go without some help. Dalu and I will accompany you.”

“Are you crazy?” Kazi snapped. “What if we lose you? Who will lead us then?”

Before Garan could answer, a Matoran suddenly emerged from one of the huts, waving his arms wildly. Balta could never figure out what element he was supposed to be, being clad in green and red armor, a color scheme which was not affiliated with any element he knew. The silver Kanohi mask didn’t help matters either.

“Darkness is coming!” the strange Matoran cried. “A shadow has been cast upon us! We shall all fall in the chaos that is approaching this land!”

“Here we go again,” Dezalk muttered under his breath. “Even Velika makes more sense than this guy.”

“I beg to differ,” Kazi retorted.

Garan sighed as he approached the crazy Matoran. “What is it this time, Tahkon?”

He was given a wide-eyed look in return. “I have read the stars,” Tahkon murmured. “The red one burns bright… just like it had… when it happened.”

Balta couldn’t help but grimace. He knew what event Tahkon was referring to: six months ago, a terrible earthquake shook the Southern Continent that Voya Nui had once been a part of. Before the Matoran knew it, Voya Nui had broken off from the rest of the continent and had ended up in the vast sea, far away from any other piece of land.

He had lost many friends during that cataclysm. He shuddered at the thought of history repeating itself.

“Do you mean another storm is coming?” Garan asked, trying to make sense of Tahkon’s ramblings.

“Worse than a storm.” The crazy Matoran shuddered. “Worse than any typhoon or hurricane that Voya Nui has suffered.”

“Don’t listen to him, Garan,” Kazi grunted. “He’s just babbling as usual.”

Garan shushed the Ice Matoran before saying to Tahkon, “Does this… storm have a name?”

“Yes,” Tahkon said quietly. “Mallake.”

6 Likes

Neat.

1 Like

ooh you made another one! I’m quite interested in seeing what happens next, nice job.
Also I think Tahkon is Good Guy 2007.

1 Like

Bingo :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

ooo sounds good!

1 Like

CHAPTER TWO

The ocean waves crashed against the Ring of Ice that surrounded Voya Nui. Any wandering ship that attempted to reach the island would be given a nasty surprise; it would require a miracle for it to traverse the icy coastline and still remain intact.

Brutaka did not believe in miracles. Even if he had at some point in his life, he would have lost all faith in them by now… just like he had with the Great Spirit.

It had all started when a great tremor shook the earth and Voya Nui was sent rocketing skyward, breaking away from the Southern Continent. When the storm had ended, Voya Nui had ended up in a vast, endless sea. The Turaga elder and a number of Matoran had died during the catastrophe. And yet, not once did Mata Nui, whom the Matoran worshiped, come to their rescue.

Brutaka grimaced, his grip tightening around the double-edged blade that was his trusted weapon. For thousands of years had he devoted his life to serving the will of Mata Nui. Was this all the Great Spirit had to return: nothing?

He wanted to scream towards the heavens, cursing Mata Nui’s name for betraying those he had promised to watch over and protect. However, he knew that doing so would give away his presence to the Matoran. Instead, he hurled a bolt of energy from his Rotating Blades, watching it soar across the sea.

“And just what could elicit such a gesture of frustration from you, old friend?”

Brutaka scowled as he turned around to face a being clad in silver and red armor. Peaceful green eyes were set behind a silver Kanohi mask and they seem to study Brutaka as Axonn stared at his comrade.

“It’s nothing,” Brutaka muttered as he turned back to the sea.

“It is useless to be dishonest with me,” Axonn said. “You know that my mask power can see through all deceptions. Something is troubling you, Brutaka.”

“Fine, so something is,” the blue and gold being retorted. “But I don’t have to tell you.”

Axonn sighed. “Brutaka, we have been friends for a long time- a very long time. We’ve fought against Zyglak on the coasts of Artidax and clashed with rogue Skakdi warlords on the edge of the Tren Krom Peninsula.” He walked over to his comrade and placed a hand on his shoulder. “I would think we’d have a mutual trust by now, enough so that we could tell the other what bothered us.”

Brutaka was silent for a while. Though he almost hated to admit it, Axonn was right. With a sigh, he said, “It’s Mata Nui.”

“What about him?”

“Where has he gone? Why hasn’t he fixed the damages done by that… that cataclysm?” Brutaka gestured widely to the sky. “Has he died? Has he abandoned us to our fate?”

“Don’t say that,” Axonn said sternly. “We should never doubt the Great Spirit’s will, which is to provide peace, while we maintain it.”

Brutaka scowled. “Then why isn’t he giving us the peace we must maintain?”

Axonn shrugged. “Perhaps something has happened to him. Perhaps he has fallen ill like he did during the Great Disruption.” He sighed. “Unfortunately, since we are separated from the rest of the world, we are helpless to do anything about it.”

Without another word, the red titan left his life-long comrade and friend to his grim thoughts.

“Mallake? Does anyone know what that means?”

No one answered Garan’s queries. Most of the Matoran had been ignoring Tahkon’s ramblings and thus did not hear the mention of the name. Tahkon himself did not elaborate, instead looking pensive and acting oblivious to the world around him.

Growing impatient, Garan threw his arms up in exasperation. “Forget it. Whatever this storm is or whenever it’s coming, we’ll have the shelter to brave it.”

“Right,” Balta said. “So, about Piruk…”

Garan nodded. “Dezalk, go find Dalu and tell her to meet me and Balta by the Lake of Protodermis. Kazi, tell Dasan that if I’m not back by the next dawn, he is to lead the village.”

Dezalk nodded while Kazi muttered something under his breath. As they set off, Garan turned to Balta and smiled.

“Shall we find our spy then?”

Piruk awoke to the sound of tapping. Opening his eyes, he was greeted by the green overcast of the forest. Whether it was day or night, he could not tell; the trees blocked out nearly all sunlight.

He sat up and heard a loud squawk. He looked over to see a Lava Hawk backing away from him. Apparently the tapping sound had been the bird tapping its beak against his mask. Piruk thought this was strange; normally Lava Hawks favored volcanic regions, given their name. What were they doing in the forest rather than near Mount Valmai, like others of its kind?

Suddenly, he heard a rustling of bushes. The Matoran of Air jumped to his feet and slowly backed away from the moving bushes, scraping his Shredder Claws together nervously.

Emerging from the bushes was a being unlike any he had seen before. Clad in black and yellow armor, he stood nearly eight feet tall. He walked with a limp, and Piruk noted that his right leg lacked a foot, with a cap of sorts replacing it. The Le-Matoran’s eyes then drifted towards the being’s left arm, which terminated with a wicked hook.

As Piruk continued his slow retreat, the being came to a stop and looked down at him. A black mask, shaped like a double-edged axe, covered the top half of his head while a respirator of sorts covered the bottom. When he spoke, his voice came out as a soft rasp.

“I see that you are awake.”

Piruk froze in place. For some reason, his feet refused to take him anywhere further.

The stranger took a step forward and the Lava Hawk flew up to him, landing and resting itself on his shoulder.

“What is the last thing you remember?” the being then asked.

Piruk opened his mouth but no words came out. It was as if pure terror had completely paralyzed him.

The stranger let out a dry chuckle. His respirator made it sound more sinister than humorous.

“No matter. It’s best you come with me; no sense in letting you tell your Matoran friends about your encounter with me.”

Behind Piruk, dozens of Brakas monkeys jumped down from the trees. They all piled onto the Le-Matoran as consciousness abandoned him.

3 Likes

ooh I wonder who that mysterious guy at the end could be…

1 Like

CHAPTER THREE

Balta, Dalu, and Garan carefully trekked the great forest known as the Green Belt, the latter taking up the lead. Numerous Rahi eyes watched as they went, and Balta could swear he heard the slithering of a venomous Bog Snake trailing him. A bolt of energy from Garan’s tools made short work of that particular problem.

As they continued on, Balta kept an eye out for more dangerous Rahi. Occupied with this as he was, he did not notice a metal sticking out in the grass he tripped over it and fell mask-first to the ground. While Dalu helped him back up, Garan went out and picked up the object.

“It’s Piruk’s mask,” the Onu-Matoran said grimly.

Dalu gasped. “No… you don’t think he’s–”

Garan cut her off with the shake of the head. “I won’t believe it until there’s proof. Let’s keep going.”

Before the Matoran could resume their trek however, they heard the snapping of twigs. They all spun around to see a large being armored in black and dark gray. He stood frozen in place, flickering his gaze from them to the twigs he had stepped on. He then gave a lopsided smirk.

“Oops. Should have brought a Mask of Stealth with me.”

“Shut up, you idiot,” muttered a second being. Tall and lean in contrast to her partner’s stout and bulky build, she aimed a blade at the three Matoran.

“State your business in these parts, Matoran,” she hissed. “If I don’t like the answer you give me, then your fellow villagers won’t be hearing much from you again.”

Garan slowly stepped forward. “We’re searching for our friend. He’s a Le-Matoran named Piruk. We found his mask just now.” He held up the green Kanohi Mahiki for the two strangers to see.

The female warrior frowned. “Banteras’ work, no doubt. The first thing he always does when he captures someone is remove their mask, if they have one on…”

“You mean Piruk’s been captured?” Balta asked. “Why?”

“Banteras always manages to come up with a reason.” She sighed as she sheathed her blade. “Come with us; we’ll take you to him.”

Her partner gave her a disapproving look. “Is that wise, Tansari? Letting these Matoran know about–”

“Relax, Fortaan,” the female warrior replied. “We’re just going to return their friend back… as long as Banteras doesn’t act like a stubborn Brakas monkey.”

The one called Fortaan suddenly chuckled, losing his serious demeanor. “Heh, good one, because–”

“Yes, I know, I said it on purpose.” Tansari then beckoned to the Matoran. “Come.”

With that, the two beings vanished into the forest. The three Matoran glanced at each other before, with great reluctance, following them.

The mountains of Voya Nui, located near the westernmost edge of the island, provided Axonn with a decent hiding place. Matoran rarely ventured to them and from the caves formed within them, he could oversee most of the island and be able to detect certain dangers.

Such as the strange movement he was seeing down below in the Green Belt.

Gripping his trusted axe, Axonn carefully climbed down the slope of the mountain, being careful to not be seen by who or whatever was moving through the forest. Quietly touching ground, he crouched down and peered through the bushes.

Walking through the forest were five beings. Three of them were Matoran, moving cautiously and looking like they did not trust the two others they were following. The tallest of the other two was a female clad in green and black armor, while the other was a male in black and dark gray.

Axonn frowned as he looked at the latter. Something about him struck him as familiar. He shifted slightly to get a better look at the being’s face- or mask, rather. The burly stranger was wearing a Kanohi Sanok, the Great Mask of Accuracy.

Seeing it brought up a name from Axonn’s memories; a name he never thought he would ever hear again: Fortaan.

Axonn took in a sharp intake of breath. How can this be possible? How can he still be alive?

Quickly shaking off his initial shock, Axonn quietly followed the five beings, doing well to not be seen by them. Judging their path, he figured out that they were headed towards the Cape of No Hope, the peninsula which jutted out from Voya Nui’s northwest side.

Except there was nothing over there but ice and wild Rahi. Why were the Matoran being taken there, or being taken at all?

Axonn grimaced. The only way he could get the answers to any of his questions was to keep on walking…

“We’re being followed.”

Tansari spoke in a voice low enough that only Fortaan could hear her. The shorter being glanced at his comrade curiously.

“How can you tell?” he asked.

“Do you think all my training has been for nothing?” she said sharply. “To the left, three bios behind us.”

Unsheathing a large, wicked-looking blade, Fortaan spun around and fired a bolt of energy from it. His Mask of Accuracy ensured that it hit his target dead on and a large figure came crashing down, landing flat on his face.

Fortaan chuckled as he walked over to the fallen being, who was paralyzed by the bolt. “Well, well, if it isn’t my old pal, Axonn. What do you happen to be doing here?”

Axonn stared up at him coldly. “I should be the same thing. I thought you were dead.”

Fortaan smiled crookedly. “You seem disappointed about being proven wrong. Why the animosity, old friend?”

“We were never friends,” Axonn spat. “At least not after what you did.”

Fortaan let out a harsh laugh. “As if you don’t have any of your own atrocities under your belt.”

He fired another bolt of energy and Axonn fell unconscious. Fortaan then lifted him up and supported him by slinging his arm over his neck.

“Well?” he said to Tansari. “Shall we get a move on?”

2 Likes

Ooh interesting, clearly Axonn has some history with these guys…

1 Like

CHAPTER FOUR

Night was beginning to fall. Most of the villagers had returned to their huts, their work done for the night. Kazi stood outside his own home, staring out towards the Green Belt and anxiously awaiting Garan and the others’ return.

“You’re worried about them, aren’t you?”

The Ko-Matoran turned to see Dasan walking up to him. The old Matoran of Sonics wore his trademark smile on his gray mask, which was cracked and worn in several places.

Kazi shrugged. “I know I may never show it, but I do care about the others. Garan, Balta, Piruk…” He kicked himself for his next words: “Even Velika. But don’t tell him I said that.”

Dasan chuckled. “Garan and Dalu are both fine warriors, and Balta is not half-bad himself. I’m sure they’ll be fine.”

Kazi frowned, his voice falling into a whisper. “And Piruk? What if something’s happened to him?”

The De-Matoran’s characteristic smile faded and he did not respond.

“The Red Star burns where it never was before,” a voice suddenly said. “Is it a star, or is it a signal, beckoning us to the world we are lost from?”

Kazi cringed as a Po-Matoran hobbled up to him and Dasan. “Velika. I thought you had gone to bed.”

The enigmatic Matoran of Stone smiled. “He who goes usually intends to return, or remain with those whom he loves in spirit if not presence.”

Kazi sighed in exasperation, struggling to comprehend his fellow Matoran’s riddles. “And if they don’t return? Or if they do and aren’t the same person they once were?”

Velika’s smile faded as well, suddenly looking pensive. “Then they are lost.”

“Why have you brought us here?” Garan asked Tansari when she and Fortaan brought the Matoran to a halt. They had reached the edge of the Cape of No Hope, with nothing to see but ice and the endless ocean. “There’s nothing here.”

“To the naked eye, perhaps,” Tansari said. “But just because you can not see something does not mean it isn’t there. Take my hand.”

Reluctantly, Garan did so while Balta and Dalu linked up with him and Fortaan took Tansari’s other hand. Instantly, they were surrounded by a blinding light. It lasted for a few seconds before vanishing to reveal bright stone walls. Majestic drapes and banners drooped down them and tall, narrow windows provided a glimpse of clear blue sky.

“What… is this place?” Balta asked.

Before Tansari could answer, a booming voice spoke up from up ahead, though the glare of the sun from a high-placed window obscured the unknown speaker.

“Tansari, Fortaan. I see that you have returned… with four guests. Care to explain.”

“Yes, King Mathus,” Tansari said as she and Fortaan bowed. “These three Matoran were in search of a fellow villager. I presumed Banteras had something to do with his disappearance.”

“And the fourth?”

“You should recognize him, King,” Fortaan said, dropping the unconscious Axonn unceremoniously to the ground. “He was one of us.”

“Ah, yes. Was.” Disdain tinted King Mathus’ voice. “At least until he went and joined Helryx’s inferior reincarnation of our order.”

Dalu cleared her throat to get the strange beings’ attention. “So, uh, does anyone mind telling us what this is all about.”

“You don’t deserve to know,” a raspy voice spoke. All eyes turned to a tall being clad in black and yellow armor, walking with a limp due to a mutilated leg. “Unless you don’t mind spending the rest of your lives down in the dungeons.”

“That’s enough, Banteras,” King Mathus said sternly. “We are not like Helryx’s band of barbarians. We do not take innocent lives simply because of what they know.”

Banteras glared in the direction of Mathus’ voice. “If we were to tell them what we are and then release them, then our knowledge is no longer sacred.”

“Just because they would know of our existence does not mean anyone would find us. Like the great Artakha whom we honor, we would become a myth spread around–”

“Forget it,” Banteras growled. “I’ve heard your spiel a hundred times already.”

Mustering his courage, Garan stepped up to the tall being, looking him straight in the eye. “Where’s Piruk? Give us back our friend.”

Banteras’ face betrayed no emotion. “Piruk. Should I know that name?”

“He’s a Le-Matoran. This is his mask.” Garan held up Piruk’s discarded Kanohi mask.

“Oh. Him.” Banteras waved a careless hand. “I was forced to… handle him when he saw me working in the forest.”

“What were you doing in the forest?” Tansari asked, her voice cold.

“It doesn’t concern you,” Banteras said sharply.

“But it does concern me,” King Mathus boomed. “Tell us, Banteras.”

The black and yellow being was silent for a long moment. When he spoke, his raspy voice was as soft as grass. “I was searching for Brutaka.”

The name hung in the air. Finally, Mathus said quietly, “I know that name. Was he not a lieutenant of the Makuta?”

“Was, yes. From my understanding, he now works for Helryx’s organization.”

“Why would you wish to seek him out then?” Mathus’ voice was suddenly bitter.

“Because he carries one of only two Kanohi Olmak in the universe. With that mask, we could transport our castle to anywhere in the universe, instead of being stranded out here in the middle of nowhere.”

The King was silent for a moment, as if he was contemplating this. Finally, he said, “Yes, that would be useful. Fortaan, go help Banteras find this Brutaka and procure this mask.”

Fortaan bowed and went to link arms with Banteras. In an instant, they were gone.

“Tansari, go take these Matoran to their friend.”

Tansari bowed as well and beckoned the trio to follow her while dragging Axonn’s unconscious form behind her. As they entered an adjacent hallway, Balta said quietly to her, “So, who are you guys, exactly?”

“We,” she said, “are the Hand of Artakha.”

3 Likes

Ooh this is intriguing…

1 Like

CHAPTER FIVE

Dawn was beginning to break when they heard the cry. All of the Matoran villagers rushed out of their huts to see Tahkon on the ground, withering in agony. He was murmuring to himself; the only words anyone could make out were “Mallake,” “Red Star,” and “Artakha.”

The village’s local healer, a Vo-Matoran named Elrisa, rushed over to him but could find no physical wound. She looked up at Dasan with a frown.

“I don’t know what’s ailing him. He seems to be healthy…”

“Physically, perhaps. But not mentally.” Emerging from the gathered crowd was an old Matoran of Psionics known as Zaedra. She knelt down next to Tahkon and touched his forehead. “He’s been mentally assaulted. By what, I do not know.”

Dasan walked over to the strange Matoran and bent down beside him, carefully turning the crazed prophet’s head. Tahkon’s eyes were wide and glazed with terror.

“Can you tell us what happened?” the De-Matoran asked softly.

Tahkon did not speak for a long time. When he finally did, he spoke so quietly that only Dasan’s acute hearing could pick up his words.

“I saw him…”

“Saw who?”

“Mallake.” Tahkon shuddered. “I saw his mask, Dasan. I saw his mask, and… and…”

“And what?” Dasan pressed.

“He is coming, Dasan. He dwells down below, but… he will find a way. He will… find…”

The Matoran fell silent. Dasan saw his heartlight go out and knew that he would not be speaking again.

With a heavy, sorrowful sigh, the De-Matoran straightened up and said, “Dezalk, Velika, take him to the burial grounds.”

The two Matoran solemnly nodded and went to perform their morbid task. Dasan turned away in grief and looked out towards the Green Belt. Garan and the others had still yet to return. Would he ever be seeing them again? Or would there be three more names to add to the memorial plaque?

Brutaka charged through the forest, his Rotating Blades held high. Up ahead were two beings he did not recognize; one was a tall Morcian like himself, clad in black and yellow, while the other was one of Axonn’s species, wearing black and dark gray armor.

Still running, he fired a bolt of raw energy from his blades, sending it towards the latter being. The Ankorian deflected the attack with two large blades before firing a bolt of his own. Brutaka attempted to dodge it, but the being’s Mask of Accuracy made sure that it hit him square in the chest.

Nonetheless, this did little to impede Brutaka’s charge and reached the two strangers’ position. He swung his double-edged blade at the Ankorian, who brought up his dual swords to block the attack. As their blades locked, the Ankorian kicked Brutaka in the shin, causing him to stagger back.

Suddenly, Brutaka felt an invisible force push him down to the ground, pinning him there. Unable to move, he did not see the cause of this strange assault until the Morcian came into view, his black mask glowing.

“Mask of Gravity,” the Morcian told him, speaking in a raspy voice. “If you ever want the upper hand in a battle, you should get one. It would replace the mask we’re going to take from you.”

Helpless to stop him, Brutaka could only watch as the Morcian stooped down and removed his Kanohi Olmak from his face. Then, in the blink of an eye, the two beings were gone.

“Piruk? Wake up…”

The Le-Matoran’s eyes fluttered open, though he was forced to shield them from a bright ray of light shining in his face. When his bleary vision finally cleared, he found his friend Dalu standing over him.

“Dalu?” Piruk groaned as he tried to sit up. “I had the strangest dream. There was this tall, ever-creepy being and… and all these Brakas monkeys…”

“It wasn’t a dream,” Dalu said grimly.

Confused by her words, Piruk sat up and saw that he was in a stone chamber, illuminated by rays of sunlight shining through a large window. Balta and Garan were standing nearby, next to the unconscious body of a being he didn’t recognize.

“Where are we?” he asked.

“I don’t know what they call this place, but it’s home to this group called the Hand of Artakha.”

“Artakha? Karzahni’s opposite? Are we… are we there?”

Dalu shook her head. “I don’t think so. Apparently we’re in this invisible fortress just off the Cape of No Hope. Beyond that, I have no idea what’s going on.”

Piruk got to his feet and rubbed his head. “Any chance we can get out?”

She shrugged. “I don’t know. They seem to be debating about their own secrecy and are afraid to release us in case we tell the whole island about them.”

Piruk scoffed. “Why would they be afraid of us? We’re just Matoran; Matoran with lousy new bodies, to boot.”

The Ga-Matoran shrugged again. “We didn’t even know they existed until an hour ago. Who knows what their deal is…”

“We have returned, my King,” Banteras announced as he and Fortaan materialized in the throne room. “And we have procured the Mask of Dimensional Gates.”

“My, that was fast,” King Mathus’ voice said, his figure still obscured by light. “I would think Helryx’s folk would be better trained in combat, especially for barbarians.”

Fortaan snorted. “Or at least be better informed on mask powers.”

Banteras stepped towards the bright light and held out the gold mask. A hand emerged and took it. A moment passed before Mathus spoke again.

“Excellent work. At last we shall be able to leave this accursed island. However, we can not do so until Mallake arrives.”

Banteras grunted. “How can you be so sure he will? The Pit holds the most dangerous of warlords. If it was that easy to break out of, the Barraki and others would be warring for control of the universe by now.”

“Perhaps they are, as we speak,” Mathus said. “In which case, it would be the perfect opportunity for Mallake to lead us into the fray and take our rightful place as enforcers of the will of Mata Nui. Any who oppose us- the Makuta, Helryx’s order, the Dark Hunters- shall be easily dealt with.”

“And the Matoran?”

“They shall see us as the heroes that we are. They will recognize our authority and follow the beckoning of the Hand of Artakha. Those who don’t… shall face nothing but a fist.”

4 Likes

CHAPTER SIX

Several miles away from Voya Nui, on an island not far from the continent it had once been part of, the first Toa in all of existence was troubled.

Her day had started out well: an agent of her’s had returned from a scouting mission to Metru Nui, which the Order of Mata Nui had been preparing to send its forces to. This proved to be unnecessary, for Makuta Teridax had been overthrown by the Toa, and the Matoran were setting about repairing the damage done to the City of Legends.

However, the so-called Empire of Makuta was still a threat. Shortly after the first report, another followed saying that a fleet of Makuta ships had begun to form a blockade around the Northern Continent. Even with Teridax seemingly indisposed, the Makuta were unrelenting in their conquest.

As she stood in her chamber, contemplating on how to handle the present situation, Toa Helryx heard the door creak open and turned to see a nine-feet-tall Tirivon, clad in silver, red, and blue armor. A pair of horns jutted out from behind his crimson mask.

“Trinuma,” the Toa of Water murmured. “What is it?”

“Johmak and Orkosan have returned from the Southern Continent,” Trinuma said. “They found the stolen tablets and had Botar deal with the Ba-Matoran crook who had procured them.”

Helryx nodded before saying, “And? I know there’s more to the story, Trinuma. Why else would you be here?”

The Tirivon’s express became grim. “Johmak went to deliver a warning to Axonn and Brutaka about the Makuta’s building empire. The region they were stationed at was not there. All she found was a giant waterfall.”

Helryx frowned. “That is not good.”

“I had come to that conclusion myself.”

Ignoring her agent’s sarcasm, Helryx said, “Tell Viraka to prepare a ship for four. I shall be going to the Southern Continent.”

Trinuma seemed to be taken aback by this statement. “You? But… you hardly ever leave Daxia.”

“It’s good to get out every once in a while. Besides, you say there’s a giant waterfall. Sounds like my area of expertise.”

Trinuma grimaced. “But if something happens to you–”

“Do you not have faith in the skills of your comrades? Your leader?”

The Tirivon sighed. This was an argument even his Mask of Charisma could not help him with.

“I will give Viraka the message.”

Axonn groggily awoke to find himself lying crumpled on a stone floor. Rising, he shielded his eyes from powerful rays of light shining through a massive window. In an instant, he knew where he was.

Castle Artakha.

He grimaced as bitter memories returned to him. His experiences here, with the Hand of Artakha, were not the best he had. The organization had changed him for the worst, and it was only when he joined the Order of Mata Nui did he feel purpose again.

But what put him fully at unease about being here was the fact that Castle Artakha had been destroyed. How was it still standing here?

As he took in his surroundings, Axonn realized that he was not alone. Gazing up at him was a Matoran in red and yellow armor; most likely a Matoran of Fire. His proportions were rather unusual and his Kanohi Huna did not seem like the best fit.

Staring at the great warrior in wonder, the Ta-Matoran said, “Who are you?”

The Ankorian veteran sighed quietly. It wasn’t much use maintaining a code of secrecy any longer at this point. “My name is Axonn,” he said.

“I’m Balta,” the Matoran replied. “Have you always been on Voya Nui? I don’t recall ever seeing you.”

“I dwell in the mountains, towards the west,” Axonn said. “I hardly ever leave there, and I rarely see Matoran venture into that region.”

“I see,” Balta said. “You seemed to recognize those two beings we were with.”

“Only the Sanok-wearer,” Axonn said bitterly. “His name is Fortaan. We… have a long history, none of it pleasant.”

Thankfully, Balta did not press the matter. Instead, he said, “Do you know how to get out of here?”

“I do, since I’ve been here before. However…” He looked forlorn at his hands. “It would be easier if I had my axe.”

Balta rested his chin in his hand, contemplating. At that moment, three other Matoran came into view behind him, two of them Axonn remembered seeing with the Ta-Matoran and Fortaan.

“Who… is that, Balta?” an Onu-Matoran asked, staring at the Ankorian skeptically.

“This is Axonn,” Balta replied, before saying to Axonn himself, “These are my friends Garan, Dalu, and Piruk.”

“Um, how do you do?” the Le-Matoran Piruk said tentatively.

“Pleasantries can wait,” Axonn said curtly. “We need to get out of here.”

The Ga-Matoran Dalu rolled her eyes. “That’s an understatement. How do we do that?”

Axonn turned towards the door to their cell, which was heavily locked. Scrutinizing it for a moment, he then took a deep breath.

“I want you all to stand back,” he said to the Matoran. Once they had done so, Axonn gathered his strength and charged towards the door. Upon collision, both the door and the entire wall crumbled to dust.

All four of the Matoran looked awed by this feat. They broke off from their stupor when Axonn beckoned them to follow him out into an corridor.

“There should be a staircase down here,” the Ankorian said. “It leads to the front gates. Let’s–”

Before he could finish, a bolt of energy hit him square in the back. Dazed but hardly weakened, he spun around to see a lithe Vortixx in jet black armor, lazily carrying a Catcher Claw in one hand.

“Leaving so soon, Axonn?” she said in a snake-like voice. “Don’t you want to stay for the return?”

Axonn scowled at the Vortixx, whom he recognized as a former comrade. “I never had any desire to be here in the first place, Drandora.”

The Vortixx’s violet eyes twinkled dangerously. “But the time is drawing so near. It’s a shame Helryx, Hydraxon, and the rest can’t be here to witness it. You should count yourself lucky.”

“I don’t even know what you’re talking about.” Energy began to glow in Axonn’s hands. “Let us go–”

Another bolt from Drandora’s claws sent Axonn’s mask flying off his face, weakening the powerful warrior.

“Why, it’s Mallake, of course,” the Vortixx hissed. “He’s coming home.”

2 Likes

oho things are about to get interesting

1 Like

CHAPTER SEVEN

“Velika, do you have the time?”

The Po-Matoran turned his wistful gaze to Dezalk, who stood in the entrance to his hut. “Time is something which we always have but can never keep.”

Dezalk sighed exasperatedly. “Is that a yes?”

Velika only smiled.

“Okay, whatever.” The Ta-Matoran stepped into the hut, looking behind him to make sure no one was close enough to hear what he had to say. “I’m worried about Garan and the others.”

“We all are,” Velika murmured. Dezalk was almost startled by him speaking in something that wasn’t a riddle, but decided not to dwell on the matter.

“I just spoke with Dasan,” the Matoran of Fire went on. “I suggested that we commence a search party, but he refused, saying that he didn’t want to lose any more villagers. In fact, he’s forbidding anyone from leaving.”

Velika nodded solemnly. “Subdue the Muaka and you save your life. Tighten a leash around it, and you endanger the Muaka’s life.”

“You’re right, that’s exactly what’s going on. We’re going to need food and supplied from elsewhere on the island eventually; we might as well search for Garan and the others while we’re at it.”

“Will it be easy to leave the village?” Velika asked.

Dezalk shook his head. “I doubt it. Dasan isn’t stupid; he will have placed sentries all around the village.”

The Po-Matoran smiled again. “Even a Kane-Ra needs to sleep. And even a Kikanalo can move as quiet as night.”

Dezalk smirked. “I like your optimism, but we have to think realistically. I know some Matoran being able to go all night without needing to sleep.”

Velika’s smile broadened. “Then find the odd Bula berry out of the batch.”

Oren stifled a yawn as he stood on the outskirts of the Matoran Cliff Village. Night had fallen over Voya Nui and most of the villagers had gone to bed, save for him and seven others chosen by Dasan to serve as sentries. He was really starting to envy those who were in their comfortable cots, listening to the crickets chirping…

“Stay focused, Oren.”

Snapped out of the doze he was falling into, Oren glanced at his Ga-Matoran partner, ever vigilant.

“I am focused,” he said indignantly.

“That’s not what your mask is showing,” Ceras said curtly. “By the way, it’s crooked.”

Mumbling to himself, Oren straightened his teal Kanohi Miru… and stopped when he saw something moving up ahead. He squinted his eyes but could not make out what it was. He pointed this out to Ceras, who frowned in consternation.

“I’ll go check it out,” she said. “You stay here, and don’t fall asleep.”

Oren rolled his eyes while the Ga-Matoran left her position. Not long after, a Ko-Matoran came up next to him.

“Kazi? Why are you up?”

The Matoran of Ice shrugged. “I couldn’t sleep. Go ahead and get some shut-eye yourself, I’ll fill in for you.”

The Bo-Matoran beamed as he gave Kazi his spear. “Thanks. I owe you one.”

He could have sworn he saw the hint of a smile on the usually-stoic Matoran’s face, but he shrugged it off, figuring the night was making him see things.

Once Oren was gone, Kazi turned to see Ceras returning.

“Dezalk and Velika are ready,” she said. “Shall we head off?”

Kazi nodded. “Yes. And thank you, Ceras, for agreeing to help us.”

She smiled. “Hey, anything for a fellow villager. Or six.”

Helryx grimaced as she watched the giant waterfall pour from the sky and into the chasm where a good portion of the Southern Continent had once been. In her career as a Toa and leader of the Order of Mata Nui, she had encountered several strange things… but nothing like this.

Standing with her were Order agents Viraka, Botar, and Orkosan; all three of them looked equally bemused by the sight. Hovering a few feet over the ground, flapping her wings, Viraka looked up towards the sky.

“Do you think the piece of land was destroyed?”

Helryx shook her head. “The Mask of Life was on that piece of land. If it was destroyed, we wouldn’t be here.”

“Where could it be then?” Orkosan asked.

“Only one way to find out.” Helryx turned to look up at Botar, who instantly knew what to do. The Saevta joined hands with the other three and in the blink of an eye, they were gone.

Banteras, Fortaan, and Tansari stood outside the invisible Castle Artakha, looking out towards the Voya Nui Bay. In it, a whirlpool was beginning to form, spinning more violently each minute.

“Just like King Mathus foretold,” Fortaan said gruffly. “I hope he’ll be happy to see us. Who know what delusions he’s formed while in the Pit.”

“A hundred thousand years is a long time,” Tansari said. “Who can say?”

Suddenly, as the whirlpool grew even more violent, a shape shot out of the ocean, bringing with it an eruption of water. It then gracefully landed on the ground and the three beings immediately knelt before him.

Covered in black and gunmetal gray armor, Mallake loomed over them at nine feet tall. Red eyes glowed behind a rusted mask and the pair of horns on the back of his head gleamed in the sunlight. When he spoke, his voice grated with the wisdom and age of a hundred millennia.

“Rise, my friends.”

“My liege,” Tansari murmured. “We have been waiting so long for your return. King Mathus foretold that–”

“King, you say?” Venom dripped in Mallake’s tone. “Not for long. Where can I find him?”

“At Castle Artakha,” Banteras said. “We have the Kanohi Olmak. Everything is ready.”

“Not yet,” Mallake hissed. “Not until the throne is mine again.”

“Of course, my liege,” Tansari said quietly. “I’m sure Mathus will gladly relinquish it to you.”

“He will regardless. For there can only be one.”

And in an instant, Mallake and his three followers were on their way back to the invisible castle…

4 Likes

ooh very nice

1 Like

I am enjoying this journey

2 Likes

Who’s Viraka? I made a Makuta named Viraka, but I doubt you’re using him here.

Viraka is the name I’ve given the nameless winged female member of the OOMN who appeared in the last BIONICLE book Journey’s End. I wrote this story years ago, long before I joined TTV, so I wasn’t aware you also had a character with that name. Sorry! :stuck_out_tongue:

CHAPTER EIGHT

Weakened from his battle with the two mysterious warriors, as well as the loss of his mask, Brutaka staggered through the jungle, headed for the mountains which Axonn dwelt in. He wasn’t sure if his comrade and mentor had also been attacked, but he had to warn someone. Unfortunately, his legs were not willing to work with him…

“Brutaka?”

Startled by the voice, the Morcian fell to his knees. Turning around, he saw his leader, Toa Helryx, standing before him, along with fellow Order agents Botar, Viraka, and Orkosan.

“Helryx,” he gasped. “Thank… goodness…”

The Toa of Water rushed over to him. “What happened? Where is your mask?”

“Taken,” Brutaka muttered. “By two beings, neither whom I recognized. They were a Morcian and an Ankorian.”

“Did you see where they went?” Viraka asked.

Brutaka shook his head. “Both of them teleported away. I was headed to find Axonn until you appeared.”

“Teleportation is a rare ability,” Helryx said, frowning in consternation. “Did either of them wear a Mask of Quick Travel?”

“No. The Morcian wore a Mask of Gravity and the Ankorian had a Sanok–”

“Sanok,” Orkosan echoed, his voice booming. “I know of an Ankorian with such a mask: Fortaan.”

“That’s right,” Helryx muttered. “He was a member of the Hand of Artakha with you and I.”

“What is he doing here then?” Viraka wondered aloud.

“They could be after the Mask of Life,” Botar growled.

“No.” All eyes fell on Orkosan, who was looking off towards the distance. “They are here for something else.”

“And what would that be?” Helryx asked.

“Think about it,” the four-armed warrior said. “Where was the Hand of Artakha located at, prior to its disbandment?”

Helryx took a moment to recall. “Here, on the Southern Continent…”

“They stole Brutaka’s Kanohi Olmak.” Orkosan gestured at the Morcian as he said this. “My thinking is that Fortaan and his new friends are planning a move.”

“But Castle Artakha was destroyed when the Hand was disbanded.”

“Castles can be rebuilt. And organizations can be reorganized.” Orkosan turned to Botar. “Can you take us there?”

“Only if it does indeed still exist,” the Saevta said as he linked hands with the Order agents. “Otherwise, we might be taking a swim.”

Kazi watched with wide eyes as the five beings vanished in a flash of light. He and the other Matoran had just borne witness to their encounter and conversation. All these terms and phrases- Kanohi Olmak, Hand of Artakha, Mask of Life- were alien to him and made his head spin worse than Velika’s riddles.

“What do we do?” Dezalk whispered to him.

The Ko-Matoran shook his head. “I don’t know. They could have gone anywhere.”

“One of them mentioned a Castle Artakha, here on Voya Nui,” Ceras said. “Should we go find it?”

“You are not going anywhere.”

The four Matoran turned, readying their tools. Standing before them, arms behind his back, was Dasan.

Kazi glared at the De-Matoran. “How did you know we had left the village?”

“Elrisa noticed your absence, and Oren told me that you had offered to stand in for him.” A nasty smile crossed the Matoran of Sonics’ mask. “If you wish to flee from a predator, you should always cover your tracks.”

“Dasan, our friends are in danger,” Ceras said angrily. “Do you expect us to just leave them to their fates?”

“No, I expect you to follow my orders,” Dasan retorted. “I suppose that’s too much to ask for these days.”

“Well, you have no way of stopping us,” Dezalk said. “You’re just one Matoran, without any tools or powers, against four of us. Unless you’ve got a Toa hiding behind you, I don’t see how you can stop us from doing what needs to be done.”

Dasan glared at the Ta-Matoran, his blue eyes boring into his. Finally, the De-Matoran said, “You’re right, I can’t stop you. In fact, I might even be able to help you.”

Kazi eyed him warily. “What do you mean?”

Dasan grinned wickedly. “You say you want to go to Castle Artakha. Why don’t I take you there?”

Before the four rebel Matoran could stop him, Dasan lunged at them and in a flash of light, they were gone.

“Hail, Lord Mallake!”

The collective voices of the Hand of Artakha members- numbering at least twenty- rang through the main hall as the tall, ebony being strode down, gleaming in the majestic light that illuminated the entire castle.

Axonn and his newfound Matoran allies stood by as spectators, restrained and watched over by Drandora and a Skakdi member. At the end of the hall was, doubtlessly, King Mathus, still obstructed by the blinding light.

Mallake came to a stop just outside the light’s reach. Letting out a grating growl, the ancient being said, “Your reign has come to an end, ‘King.’”

“Rightfully so,” Mathus replied. “How wonderful it is to be in your presence, oh, great Mallake.”

“Spare me your pleasantries,” Mallake snarled. “Step out of the light so that I may see your unsightly visage.”

Silence at first. Then, hobbling into view was a short Turaga, clad in black and gray armor with a pristine Mask of Shielding on his face and silver robes draped across his hunched-over form. In his hand was a pronged golden staff, almost longer than himself. As he stood before the nine-foot-tall Mallake, the vast difference in size between them was apparent and almost comical. However, no one present was in a joking mood.

“A Turaga?” Mallake almost spat out the word. “A hundred thousand years in the Pit and this is what replaced me?”

His crimson gaze fell on everyone in the room, making even the resistant Fortaan and stoic Banteras cower before him.

“You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Turaga are meant for leading and guiding weak, defenseless Matoran, not those dedicated to the will and protection of Mata Nui.”

Mathus smirked. “Considering we were able to accomplish everything required for your return, I’d say I was successful.”

Without warning, Mallake swooped down and seized the Turaga by the neck, hoisting him up in the air.

“Successful?!” the ancient being roared. “Mata Nui has fallen! An event which could have been prevented had I been in command! A hundred thousand years work put to waste!”

“I doubt even you could have prevented the Great Spirit’s fall, Mallake,” Axonn spoke up. “Only Mata Nui himself could have foreseen–”

“Axonn.” The mere mention of the Ankorian’s name immediately silenced Axonn. “Have you sneaked out of Helryx’s shadow for this special occasion?”

Axonn glowered at him. “If it were up to me, I’d be as far away from here as possible.”

“My, such animosity. If only Hydraxon, Orkosan, and the others were here to make this a proper reunion.”

“Seems to me that you’re halfway there.”

All eyes turned to see Helryx, Botar, Brutaka, Viraka, and Orkosan materialize in the middle of the chamber, weapons brandished.

“Helryx. Orkosan.” Mallake regarded the newcomers with malice. “And three of your blind followers. Hmm, not my idea of a good reunion.”

Helryx gestured threateningly with her spiked mace. “Explain yourself, Mallake. How did you get out of the Pit? What do you have planned here?”

“Those are questions for another time,” Mallake said, “as I see that we have even more guests.”

Again, everyone looked in time to see five Matoran appear in the chamber. One of them, a gray-armored Matoran of Sonics, walked up confidently to Mallake and knelt before him.

“My liege, your humble servant has returned.”

“Dasan. And just what have you brought here?”

The De-Matoran gestured at the four other villagers. “These Matoran–”

“What use have I for Matoran?” Mallake said darkly.

Dasan blanched behind his mask. “I- I thought they would make ideal servants–”

“No.” Mallake released his hold on Mathus and stormed up to the De-Matoran. “The need for slave and servants is no more. We need to lighten our load.”

He gestured his followers to the eight Matoran and six Order members.

“Execute them.”

3 Likes