As the Good-Guy pitch has been officially made canon, Lava farming has also been made somewhat-canon, though not pitched entirely.
With my failed attempt to pitch the Barraki, I’ll try to dust off my geology and botanical skills and make a pitch for Lava Farming, which is Kraatu’s job.
- First: River harvest
- Lava rivers are redirected to special dug up holes, which are then filled. The lava flow is then cut off and the newly created lava pool is let to cool off.
- The dried lava is then emptied from the hole and milled into dust.
- Second: Plant Planting
Volcanic plant growth in Mangai
- The dust is then taken to a less geologically active part of Mangai and put into the soil, filling it with very ritch minerals.
- Plants, mainly grapes and potatoes are planted into the soil.
- The soil can be sold to other regions as a fertilizer. Mangai earns a great deal of it’s income through this.
- Third: Plant harvest
- Vegetables that were planted into the soils are harvested and transported into major city states.
- They can either be distributed among the people, traded between the city states or even traded to other regions, such as Kanae and Tiro.
Motara and Naho are assumed to have weather conditions that support the growth of these vegetables aswell.
Ihu does not trade with Mangai that often, thus, no trade of vegetables between the two.
- Much rarer
- Large stones that are formed during a volcanic eruption from the cloud of ash and debree are collected after the eruption from the ground.
The stones can be put beneath artificial pools of water and then heated up using fire. This creates artificial hot springs which can be put into homes of ritch matorans that aren’t built on natural hot springs.
The stones can be milled into dust and sold to Kanae and Tiro. They can use it as a form of drug to get into shamanistic and druidic uncounciusness.
- Obsidian, a form of volcanic glass, can be collected from volcanically active areas and used in a variety of ways.
- Weapon making
- Naturally sharp, obsidian can be put into pieces of wood or steel and used as an extremely deadly weapon.
- From daggers to maces, axes, spears and even arrows.
- Obsidian can easily be chopped into desirable shapes to create jewels any female matoran would love to have.
Does it feel a bit underwhelming from my last pitch? Well… I tried to be minimalist and explain the process of lava farming and harvest.
If you have anything to add, plesae, do so!