Lego BIONICLE: The Vahki

Way back in March of 2014, I did a review of Vahki Zadakh and I thought it was, meh, but not the upmost review. So without further ado, The Vahki!

Bordakh

Set Number: 8615

Vorzakh

Set Number: 8616

Zadakh

Set Number: 8617

Rorzakh

Set Number: 8618

All were released in 2004, contained 33 pieces, and costed $9.00

PACKAGING

Though it may seem like a recycle of the Rahkshi can from '03, it does have an admittedly cool effect with the transparent lid. Each canister has its Vahki in a very intimidating pose and drawing major emphasis on the staffs.

BUILD

Being clone sets, the Vahki have the exact same build (excluding color scheme, disk, and staff piece

The feet are nothing special, just standard Mata feet cast in gray, though the legs are where it gets a bit more interesting. While the lower legs are decently bulky, the upper legs are very plain and incredibly weak in design. Was it really to much to give these guys leg armor? They are law enforcers after all so they might as well be remotely well suited.

The Torso is strikingly resemblant to that of the Rahkshi as well which is a good and a bad thing. For one thing it is fairly robotic esq in appearance and is fairly beefy at the upper chest region, but on the other hand it is fairly gappy from the side.

The arms are INCREDIBLY plain, just using the Onua arm and the corresponding blade. Though the size of the blades are quite imposing, the arm itself is quite underwhelming.

The head, much like the body, is one of the few involved parts of the build and uses a various assortment of pieces to construct the head.

SET DESIGN

For robot enforcers their design is relatively concise and their overall appearance is very intimidating with the large, insectoid heads. While they could use more armor and more involvement in their build, I still think they have an overall solid look. Not to mention each of their color schemes is vibrant, sure the gray may seem very monotone, but it feels very machine esq. As well some critique how some of the Vahki’s eye colors clash violently with their main colors, though I personally don’t mind it and think they are very complimentary to their bodies.

One last thing I’d like to praise is how each Vahki, though lacking elemental abilities, are equipped with tools that match with their corresponding district. Zadahk (brown) has pick like staffs, Rorzakh (black) has jack hammer like staffs, Bordakh (blue) has barbed fin like staffs, and Vozakh (green) has razors which I guess emanates some sort of leaf feel. Though I don’t own either of them, Keerakh (white)'s blades have a serrated ice feel and Nuurakh (red) has… claws, very painful claws!

(Image from here http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=1905)
Parts of interest may not be to wholesome with the Vahki, but we do get

-The Vahki head
-The eyepiece
-The bulky lower leg piece
-The disk launcher
-The complimentary staff

POSABILITY

With the Toa Metru we got a wide range of posability in nearly every section of the body and this is carried over with the body… sort of. Though they are capable of posing their feet, knees, hips, shoulders, and head, the fact that they have no elbow articulation seems like such a downgrade, as well moving the head up is a challenge. But nevertheless you are capable of getting them into some pretty cool poses… If the floppiness of the gear box doesn’t get you first.

FUNCTIONS

Similar to the Rahkshi the Vahki have a gear function in which their arms swing left and right, allowing each Vahki to swing dem staffs.

The second function is cool in that it can be activated via the head and shots the Kanoka disk.

The third and possibly coolest function is that through a series of assortments the Vahki become quadrupedal drones which makes them look awesome and fierce at the same time, plus head articulation is a lot less restrained.

OVERALL

Pros:

• Vibrant and complimentary color schemes
  • Interesting and intriguing functions
  • Nice assortment of parts
  • Very menacing in appearance
  • Posability (to a point)
  • head and torso are fairly involved
    Cons
  • Lack of elbow articulation
  • Gear function can be floppy
  • Legs and arms are fairly plain
  • Torso is somewhat gappy

If I were a younger kid and I owned the Vahki, I wouldn’t be disappointed, they have alot of cool functions and a very intimidating aesthetic. Though they are a bit plain and the build is rather rehashed, these are still alright sets.

11 Likes

This is a con how?

2 Likes

does anyone else think to themselfs while whacting the narated history and like how did vakma beat the army of vahki like those things have unlimited khnoka disks and huge staffs man their overpowered @legomaster1378 yes but go to youtube and whacth the narrated history of bionicle and it shows a clip[click this link][1]

[1]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CIJ_MjIOHM im whatcing it right now

What army of Vahki? We never saw more then a few squads of them in the books (though they certainly were threatening).

EDIT:

sniffs

Dang it man! Why’d you have to give me the feels so early in the morning? :cry:

I still maintain that the Vahki we saw appearing in front of Vakama and Vihsola were a squad, not nearly an army.

As for why a single Toa/Matoran duo survived an encounter with 6 Vahki… they ran(?)

3 Likes

Good indepth review. Interesting to see this topic being used to review old sets, though.

Loved these guys as a kid, but looking back they just aren’t as good as the Rahkshi. I always thought the green one’s weapon was stupid. It’s a pair of hydraulic wire-cutters. What are they for, maintenance?

1 Like

I just love those guys, especially for their interesting head design. My favorite one is Rorzakh.

1 Like

This is NOT an /s comment.

But probably they were used for wire cutting.

1 Like