Lego Contests

That by itself isn’t wrong, though it still stems from the fact the Moc was not originally built for that contest, nor in preparation for it. It was merely chance that you made this moc that just happens to fit the theme. Sheer chance.

The point I am trying to make is that by entering an old moc you defeat the purpose of the contest, which is to create. You gain the benefit without the effort. It’s like owning a game and downloading savefile which has 99% completion. Yes you may have technically beaten it by completing that 1%, but was it really rewarding?

1 Like

What you’re describing is a specific scenario where someone wants to enter contest but decides to just throw something in without putting too much work. Which is dumb I guess, but that’s their problem.

So what? If I put valid time and effort into a moc there shouldn’t be anything wrong with entering it into a contest. Even if it I didn’t put any effort into the doc itself, it’s still my choice to make.

It isn’t only for those who didn’t care. I don’t think that entering an old moc necessarily negates the rewarding feeling. In the end it’s personal choice, and that person will know whether he/she is entering a moc out of laziness or not. So why care about it? Just focus on your own enjoyment and creativity.

2 Likes

Personally I dislike when people don’t create their MOCs for a contest but I think that the only one I can really blame is Lego for not outright banning this.

4 Likes

The reason I care is because its cheap and lazy. Bluntly put it might as well be up there with the people who take sets, change out the colors and present it as a completely original moc.

Not really, no. You still built a MOC, be it six days ago or six months ago, that is good enough to enter the contest. If you just grab a random MOC you made that happens to be purple, but wasn’t a quality-focused MOC (just an Inika build, for an example). But if you enter a contest-quality MOC you already have, you still deserve credit for making a good MOC.

2 Likes

You still put the effort and work into creating the MOC, you just didn’t put it in at the time of the contest.

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t think it matters. I mean, how would LEGO know if you made the MOC earlier?

1 Like

Google image search.

But I still agree that it doesn’t matter.

That only applies if you posted it online.

Yeah, after that it depends completely on whether someone is honest about when they made it.

I hugely disagree.
Typically, the MOCs have had plenty of time, effort and care put into them to begin with. It’s just submitting something you are proud of to the world to see, because it’s better than what you would make if you did something extra now.
It’s like how I have written a writing piece already, and have submitted it to a writing contest much later. I did not write the piece for the contest, but I put hours upon hours of work into it. How is that cheap or lazy?

1 Like

It’s lazy because you did not create it for the contest, thus defeating the purpose of a contest in the first place. Lego is built on creating, and I’m fairly certain when lego announced the contest they wanted it to encourage people to build. At the end of the video they even say “So get building.” if they didn’t want people to build new things, they would have just said “Get submitting.”

Let me put it into another perspective. Take a weightlifting contest. So what if you managed to lift 425 lbs in the past, and have it recorded on video, you still have to put effort into the contest and may have to relift that 425 lbs. You have to put effort into the contest, not just rely on your past deeds to assure your victory.

And for all those who are using the rules as a point of interest in their side of the debate: I’m not debating the rules, I’m debating the morality behind the rules, and whether or not we as people truly feel it is right. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

2 Likes

Weightlifting is different because it requires that you do it there, rather than something where you submit what you are proud of.

Well, what we think what change other’s actions. and the comparison you made was a completely separate scenario. This is a art contest. There’s a reason why they made the rules saying that if your moc has already won you can’t submit it.

anyways, I might have strayed from my point, but plain and simple, what we think in terms of morality won’t change what others do. especially when it’s something as trivial as this.

1 Like

okay, since its been 5 days since the contest has officially started, il start a bit of a rant up, slightly involving a certain Mocist
Who I was originally going to keep anon, but since its a bit hard to do that without showing proof of what he did
basically, this MOCist posted two MOCs into the contest, pretty harmless, right?
until you do a bit of research
and realize one of them is 4 years old, the other is 3 years old
the 3 year old one, http://www.lego.com/en-us/rebrick/view-entry?c_id={00A66255-0F67-490B-97E3-3FCD9CF12314}&a_id=313b3c41-5f1b-4875-9f54-d8adcd963ba4&sortEntry=false
has a comment, by the mocist himself, blatantly proving it
(you can also search it and find plenty of results)

what annoys me (other then him just reposting a MOC that is over 3 years old) is that the 4 year old one, http://www.lego.com/en-us/rebrick/view-entry?c_id={00A66255-0F67-490B-97E3-3FCD9CF12314}&a_id=214e9eef-2562-4ad8-81da-e78b55b5ab03&sortEntry=false , goes for a different approach
Rather than having the name of the MOC it was, he gives it a random name he came up on the spot, and it doesnt even look like G2 makuta
and thats the spirit of the contest
You gotta build the evil overlord himself, Makuta, not Teridax
You can be original in what you build
but give him some sorta G2 Makuta features

I am not making this post to insult the mocist in question (as much as I would like to, considering his past actions), I would simply like to bring light to this situation
the whole spirit of the contest is to build
the rule allowing old mocs to be entered should have been rephrased that mocs made in the past month (as in, for example, made when most people saw the video) could be entered
I mean, its hard to judge that, perhaps if you had posted it beforehand, its an invalid entry (you can check this by searching the image, if you didn’t know)

I am not saying go hate on him
I am saying, if you are going to enter a MOC, enter a MOC which you worked painstakingly on for this contest, specifically for this
Its a makuta contest
not getting old mocs and reposting them as Makutas just for an extra chance at a prize that you don’t need

Please, if you want to enter the contest, work hard to make your makuta the best, this isn’t about winning, this is about having fun

If you want to win,if you want the prize
You work for the prize.

Thanks for reading.

16 Likes

I really hate it when people re-use old stuff for recent contests, it takes the fun out of the whole idea of a contest that is based on a freshly built creation sparked from the idea/theme of said contest, plus seeing that it’s Dave doing it will most likely bring up some issues with others.

5 Likes

That’s really nice, was it rendered in LDD?

I believed it used POV, also that user posted more than 1 entry.

1 Like

It really strikes me as unfair whenever people just post previous creations in contests. Sure, they spent just as much effort and time making the creation back then just as much as people right now, but the point is, under the context of an entry, they’ve done nothing.

Think of a guy who in a quick hurry, made his best work in a day or two, a huge, titan Makuta that, (let’s be honest) probably isn’t the best and is subject to numerous criticisms. As it should.

Now think of a guy who has already made a borderline “related” creation years ago and in that couple years has probably fine-tuned his creation. All he has to do is slap on a little entry of his 3-year old grand masterpiece. It strikes me as lazy.

Imagine this in the context of, I dunno, some art contest. It’s not fair for some guy to just re-purpose his barely fitting 3-year-old work into compared to someone who actually attempted to make an entry specifically for the contest.

Contests are about enjoying your time and making entries that show that you’ve done hard work and effort just for the contest, not just taking old work and acting like you’re actively participating. You’re not. You’re just being lazy and not putting effort into making something to show you want the prize.

TL;DR: Just make something to prove your skills, re-purposing something as an entry doesn’t show that you worked hard. You may have worked hard back then, you probably haven’t worked hard on re-hashing your entry.

A little note, I’m not trying to be biased here. I don’t intend to enter the contest.

6 Likes

Continuing the discussion from

But you did. You said about this

[quote=“Omega_Tahu, post:19, topic:27412”]
The first picture probably won’t win, because it shares no aspects with Makuta besides being bad.
[/quote]