LEGO Ideas 90th Anniversary Set Poll Discussion

oh, whoops. I thought that today was the third. :grinning:

1 Like

AFOLB (Adult Fans of Lego Bricks) is a term used for people who like Lego bricks but dislike the company. The whole naming thing is a bit confusing.

1 Like

Well, I already made my proposal: de-constracted AFOLs.
(Not that it ultimately matters that much)

1 Like

The problem with that is that “purism” is already an established concept in the Lego community, referring to a build that does not modify parts, or use non-Lego parts.

Laughs in Time Cruisers :stuck_out_tongue:

But in all seriousness, your point stands.

They… exist? On a scale where there’s a whole acronym for them? Lego is like, one of the most chill corporate entities you’ll find. What issues are people (who are already lego fans) having with TLG that are strong enough for a named community to pop up?

1 Like

Y’know, there’s enough diversion from the original topic that I’m gonna start a separate topic for this. It’s a really good discussion and I want to keep it going.

Boom.

Checkmate, elon musk.

2 Likes

In my home country they currently gain more and more popularity. There is one particular YouTube channel (btw the biggest channel with Lego related content in Germany now) that is quite successful lately, where one guy just sits there with a cup of coffee and rants about the latest Lego stets or reviews sets from other legal brick producers. Lately there was some controversy because Legos lawyers sent him a letter in which they forced him to delete videos with more than a million views because he used the term Lego for these alternatives, what some people took immediately as a sign that Lego wants to silence his critique.
Personally I like that channel because I think he makes some good arguments, but I can’t deny that he created a rift between the communities, especially since he started to call people who think that Lego still makes decent products “fanboys”.
While he doesn’t consider himself as an AFOLB he definitely helped to grow interest.

1 Like

That’s fascinating. I’ve never found “Lego Alternatives” (except really weird stuff like flexible bricks and whatnot that isn’t really Lego) to hold a candle to the official products in terms of quality. Maybe it’s different in Germany… (A quick Google of the term “AFOLB” was only bringing up German results, so the term at least seems to be a German one… despite using English words for the acronyms. :stuck_out_tongue:)

We should probably move this conversation to the topic that Ghid helpfully created, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

“AFOB” could also stand for “Adult Fan of Bionicle”.

1 Like

Apparently AFOB is trademarked in Germany by a brick alternative online shop since 2020.

Official results are in by the way. Castle gets an extra chance. The poll is also live.

5 Likes

YESSSSSSS BIONICLE YESSSSSSS

4 Likes

Polls are live! Let’s vote for Bionicle!

Also, how do you feel about Castle being forced into 4th place option?
I think LEGO should have commited to the rules they had set up for themselves. I know they tried to argue under several levels of sub-theme inclusion, but there is little you couldn’t do if you worded it correctly.

I am not happy with this decision, but what can we do… well we can vote Bionicle!

(I do not want to feed into conspiracy, but I cannot ignore the sighns either. One has to wonder if LEGO is terrified at the prospect of Bionicle winning the polls :thinking: (1) The sub-par representative picture, (2) the “in case of Bionicle clause”, (3) forced inclusion of biggest potential contender)

4 Likes

honestly haven’t decided if I’m going to vote for Bionicle or not.

??? What :grimacing:

1 Like

To be honest, I’m not entirely sure I want the 90 anniversary to be, or if it should be, Bionicle.

It’s different for me than it is for most people on this site. The exact opposite, actually - I grew up with system, specifically the various castle and kingdom sets, and didn’t get into Bionicle until after it’s death.

And frankly, despite Bionicle having pulled TLC from the brink, it’s not exactly the epitome of classic LEGO for me, no matter what some people argue. There’s a reason constraction is a separate category from “The LEGO System”.

3 Likes

Well if I am not going to convince you…
here is the new word of President Eljay himself:

Also the “epitome of classic LEGO” should be reserved for 100th anniversary anyway. 90th belongs to Bionicle.

4 Likes

Adding more themes should divide the votes, giving more posibilities to BIONICLE to end as the first choice. But since Lego not necesary would choose the first choice, i guess it woudn’t impact that much the end result.

Traitor

12 Likes

this is all I’ll say. Vote for what you want, not what makes sense from a the Lego company’s perspective.

On Lego ideas I saw many people saying that bionicle doesn’t represent the lego company’s history enough, but I don’t understand why that matters. They asked us for what we wanted, so we should vote for what we want.

12 Likes

Very much so. But Bionicle isn’t necessarily what I want, and it not representing LEGO’s history could be simply a part of that.

1 Like

Possible, but it also causes influx of people who might have given up on voting in general and now will vote for Castle.