LEGO Ideas 90th Anniversary Set Poll Discussion

Very suspiciously worded to not be the version you see on bumper stickers

6 Likes

PFOL, Purist fan of lego. Or maybe EFOL for Elitist.

1 Like

That would suggest Bionicle isn’t real Lego.

Maybe just retool AFOL to stand for something else?

2 Likes

I mean, pretty much every single original LEGO theme ever released has introduced at least a few new molds. Even Classic Space famously had the Crater Basplates, which have been out of use for decades. But I guess that doesn’t really matter, since they could very easily do a single large D2C set without any of those specific molds. If Classic Space wins, they just make a large spaceship, without any including baseplates.
That old retired molds issue is a problem for pretty much any themes LEGO might consider bringing back, even the ones available in the poll. (some more than others, but still).

Same here, I guess we’re on the same page. :wink:

3 Likes

Not neccessarily. The group of people we are trying to name already think Bionicle isn’t real Lego, so from their pespective this is accurate.They are purists in their own elitist view on the matter.

Well you have to deal with the already existent definition of “purist” in the LEGO community, to mean someone who only uses parts created by LEGO. BIONICLE is part of the purist boundary. Personally. I’d use the term BIO-Exclusionist - any LEGO fan that, for one reason or another, has the mindset that BIONICLE shouldn’t be treated as true LEGO.

7 Likes

In that case, wouldn’t Constraction-exclusionist be more adequate?
Or maybe you could call them de-constracted AFOLs :laughing:

PS: The truth is “purist” is used by Lego fans in way too many contexts to give it a singular definition.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a huge issue, but if folks think that the name is misleading, I suggest “AFOB” (adult fan of bricks).

Anyway, wasn’t the second vote supposed to start today? I don’t see it on Lego Ideas.

1 Like

I believe it starts on 3. february.

oh, whoops. I thought that today was the third. :grinning:

1 Like

AFOLB (Adult Fans of Lego Bricks) is a term used for people who like Lego bricks but dislike the company. The whole naming thing is a bit confusing.

1 Like

Well, I already made my proposal: de-constracted AFOLs.
(Not that it ultimately matters that much)

1 Like

The problem with that is that “purism” is already an established concept in the Lego community, referring to a build that does not modify parts, or use non-Lego parts.

Laughs in Time Cruisers :stuck_out_tongue:

But in all seriousness, your point stands.

They… exist? On a scale where there’s a whole acronym for them? Lego is like, one of the most chill corporate entities you’ll find. What issues are people (who are already lego fans) having with TLG that are strong enough for a named community to pop up?

1 Like

Y’know, there’s enough diversion from the original topic that I’m gonna start a separate topic for this. It’s a really good discussion and I want to keep it going.

Boom.

Checkmate, elon musk.

2 Likes

In my home country they currently gain more and more popularity. There is one particular YouTube channel (btw the biggest channel with Lego related content in Germany now) that is quite successful lately, where one guy just sits there with a cup of coffee and rants about the latest Lego stets or reviews sets from other legal brick producers. Lately there was some controversy because Legos lawyers sent him a letter in which they forced him to delete videos with more than a million views because he used the term Lego for these alternatives, what some people took immediately as a sign that Lego wants to silence his critique.
Personally I like that channel because I think he makes some good arguments, but I can’t deny that he created a rift between the communities, especially since he started to call people who think that Lego still makes decent products “fanboys”.
While he doesn’t consider himself as an AFOLB he definitely helped to grow interest.

1 Like

That’s fascinating. I’ve never found “Lego Alternatives” (except really weird stuff like flexible bricks and whatnot that isn’t really Lego) to hold a candle to the official products in terms of quality. Maybe it’s different in Germany… (A quick Google of the term “AFOLB” was only bringing up German results, so the term at least seems to be a German one… despite using English words for the acronyms. :stuck_out_tongue:)

We should probably move this conversation to the topic that Ghid helpfully created, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

“AFOB” could also stand for “Adult Fan of Bionicle”.

1 Like

Apparently AFOB is trademarked in Germany by a brick alternative online shop since 2020.

Official results are in by the way. Castle gets an extra chance. The poll is also live.

5 Likes

YESSSSSSS BIONICLE YESSSSSSS

4 Likes