LEGO Ideas 90th Anniversary Set Poll Discussion

Polls are live! Let’s vote for Bionicle!

Also, how do you feel about Castle being forced into 4th place option?
I think LEGO should have commited to the rules they had set up for themselves. I know they tried to argue under several levels of sub-theme inclusion, but there is little you couldn’t do if you worded it correctly.

I am not happy with this decision, but what can we do… well we can vote Bionicle!

(I do not want to feed into conspiracy, but I cannot ignore the sighns either. One has to wonder if LEGO is terrified at the prospect of Bionicle winning the polls :thinking: (1) The sub-par representative picture, (2) the “in case of Bionicle clause”, (3) forced inclusion of biggest potential contender)

4 Likes

honestly haven’t decided if I’m going to vote for Bionicle or not.

??? What :grimacing:

1 Like

To be honest, I’m not entirely sure I want the 90 anniversary to be, or if it should be, Bionicle.

It’s different for me than it is for most people on this site. The exact opposite, actually - I grew up with system, specifically the various castle and kingdom sets, and didn’t get into Bionicle until after it’s death.

And frankly, despite Bionicle having pulled TLC from the brink, it’s not exactly the epitome of classic LEGO for me, no matter what some people argue. There’s a reason constraction is a separate category from “The LEGO System”.

3 Likes

Well if I am not going to convince you…
here is the new word of President Eljay himself:

Also the “epitome of classic LEGO” should be reserved for 100th anniversary anyway. 90th belongs to Bionicle.

4 Likes

Adding more themes should divide the votes, giving more posibilities to BIONICLE to end as the first choice. But since Lego not necesary would choose the first choice, i guess it woudn’t impact that much the end result.

Traitor

12 Likes

this is all I’ll say. Vote for what you want, not what makes sense from a the Lego company’s perspective.

On Lego ideas I saw many people saying that bionicle doesn’t represent the lego company’s history enough, but I don’t understand why that matters. They asked us for what we wanted, so we should vote for what we want.

12 Likes

Very much so. But Bionicle isn’t necessarily what I want, and it not representing LEGO’s history could be simply a part of that.

1 Like

Possible, but it also causes influx of people who might have given up on voting in general and now will vote for Castle.

The way I see it, there are going to be and always will be space, castle and pirate sets. We might never have another Bionicle or constraction set again, so this is its only chance. That’s why I voted for Bionicle.

8 Likes

I for one am glad that they realized the error they made by dividing castle into so many subthemes. Unlike space that has a clear “stand-out” choice in classic space, I’d argue that castle is much more homogenously distributed between all the factions. And especially considering that (if I counted correctly) castle subthemes in total had the largest amount of votes, it would’ve been just straight up unfair that pirates got picked instead of castle :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Though I suppose I wouldn’t have had the right to complain as I didn’t vote :stuck_out_tongue:

But on topic, I do think that bionicle would be a fitting choice. I’d dare to call bionicle “the” 2000s theme, and giving it that recognition in the form of an anniversary set would be fair, especially since we’ve likely seen the last of bionicle.

7 Likes

I voted for Bionicle since Caste, Pirates, and Space are guaranteed to keep coming back under various names and themes. While I understand Bionicle is different than the stereotypical Lego theme, I don’t see why that should determine whether someone should vote for it.

When we get a system set for the anniversary, I’d rather have it pertain to Bionicle than be another grey spaceship, although I don’t think the Space set will be too bad if it wins. Lego is Lego, period.

13 Likes

I think it’s a fair enough inclusion. They had already received massive backlash for splitting it up in the first place, and the fan votes clearly showed that people wanted some form of Castle.

(Plus, now there’s more themes for the non-Bionicle votes to be split amongst.)

I see where you’re coming from, but here’s two counter-arguments:

• Lego has to have considered that. If Lego is okay with their company being represented by Bionicle, I think we should be okay with it as well.

• Even if Bionicle doesn’t get a set made, this is also to show Lego that Bionicle fans are still around. We aren’t just voting for the purpose of getting a single set, but also in the hopes of getting… something else… in the future. Or even just stopping Lego from abandoning the line forever.

6 Likes

Again.

I have much less attachment or desire for BIONICLE and its hypothetical return.

3 Likes

I have added links to the second round of voting and second Eljay’s speech to the original post.

EDIT:

I am seeing some outrageously ignorant anti-Bionicle videos poping up :angry:
I cannot take anybody who argues with: “Bionicle just got sets in 2015, therefore vote Castle”, seriously at all.

2 Likes

Also voted BIONICLE despite my love of Castle.

9 Likes

When was the last classic space set? Was that Bennys spaceship from the Lego Movie in 2014?

2 Likes

There was Benny’s spaceship in 2014 as well as several spacemen released in various new colors.

5 Likes

So last year there was pirates. A medieval/castle nostalgia set came out just a few days ago. So considering the time perspective it would come down to Bionicle or Space.

3 Likes

There was a classic space battle pack for the Lego Movie 2 in 2019.

6 Likes