LEGO Ideas 90th Anniversary Set Poll Discussion

Yes, but there is always the case of Space being possible at any time.
Bionicle is not nearly as likely to get a set outside of this anniversary.

3 Likes

I did my Duty and voted for Bionicle. Now, we will achieve our Destiny, and bring Bionicle back, at least for one set! Even if it’s not chosen, it will prove to Lego that there is still a great interest in Bionicle, which may result in something greater: Bionicle’s continuation as a theme (since there’s so much that was left unresolved).

Also, all of the “Bionicle must lose” comments only strengthen my resolve!

3 Likes

Same here!

6 Likes

And when bionicle wins, the top three suddenly becomes a top four.

:thinking:

8 Likes

To be fair, it was a bit unfair to Castle to split the votes like that. I’m glad to see that, among 77,000 LEGO fans, Bionicle is ranked among the original three.

I’ve done my part. Here’s hoping!

7 Likes

That is like my core issue with the vote. If DuckBricks is right Lego uses the data for future products. But how do they separate vocal minorities from silent majorities. Do we even know that there is a greater interest?
Yes I voted Bionicle, but I wouldn’t know anyone outside the message boards who is interested in this. And we are all generation Internet, unlike people why actually collected these classic themes. So many potential buyers are maybe not even aware of the polls.The Bionicle vote count is probably the most unreliable factor of the results. And Lego would be extremely naive if they wouldn’t differentiate.
In the end it is a question for them, what will make the most profit. And Bionicle was popular at a time where barely any theme was running well. These classic themes are from a time where Lego was doing well. Do we actually know whether Bionicle was any more profitable than classic castle was years before?

3 Likes

So which one are you voting for then?

1 Like

Why does it matter?

Haven’t had any time to think about it much.

I’ve done my duty and voted for Bionicle, but I urge everyone on all sides to be respectful to each other for we shouldn’t be fighting over lego set being made.

2 Likes

Actually really happy about this for 2 reasons:

1. I’d be much more excited for a Castle set than another Space/Pirates one so soon.
  2. It splits up the non-Bionicle votes even more. muhuhahaha

I’m in this boat too, (I mean, I got into Bionicle around '07, but I’ve always also been a system fan) but the way I see it, Bionicle is much more appropriate for a 90th anniversary than a 100th, which is just around the corner. And other than Castle, the other two themes already have tribute sets released within the last year or two - it would honestly feel like a waste of the occasion to get another one of those for such a big anniversary. If they hadn’t seen modern sets, I’d feel quite differently - they’re both great themes - but no point rehashing the same ones every time we want a nostalgia boost, either. It cheapens both what they’re representing and the themes themselves.

And the winner of this poll isn’t even the real winner, so no point not showing Lego what we’d like to see, right?

Even though it’s certainly not the same as a “real” set, it’s also worth mentioning there’s a DLC pack for Lego Worlds (the TT games title) that literally includes the entire first three years of classic space sets as in-game vehicles and buildables. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

by that time my career’s gonna have started.

you’re not helping my academic self-doubt :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Actually, yes we do. This was a video provided by Lego to big retailers to promote Bionicle:

“Bionicle is the most successful launch in Lego Company history”
“Bionicle will have sold over 200 million branded items by end 2003”

6 Likes

Anyone find it strange that throughout the whole breakdown of the 1st vote results, LEGO didn’t event mention Bionicle apart from the ranking lists?!
Even tho it won it fair & square.

2 Likes

not in the slightest

LEGO has a great track record of not mentioning Bionicle

10 Likes

Because I asked.

2 Likes

Well, yeah. They were mentioning subthemes, and bionicle isn’t a subtheme of anything.

isn’t it a subtheme of technic?

5 Likes

I believe it was at first until it became it’s own thing. I definitely remember some of the older sets having the technic logo.

4 Likes

True, it was at first, but no other technical subtheme were on the poll.

1 Like