LEGO Microscopy #1 - the Squid

Due to the recent success of my post regarding what has been since dubbed “Squid Science”

I have decided to go ahead with a series I have been planning for a while - LEGO Microscopy.
Here I take a VERY CLOSE look at some of the LEGO pieces, Bionicle or otherwise and examine its finest details.

Today, we open the series with its first entry - the humble Squid! :squid:

A rubbery Bionicle piece released in 2007 for the Barraki line, the Squid comes in two color variations: 1) melded trans yellow/red, 2) melded trans blue/green. Former came with the sets, the latter could be found in Squid ammo packs.
As with most melded pieces, the ratio and distribution of the component colors varies greatly from piece to piece. This creates a lovely spectrum of colors for our favorite water-dwellers:

What happens when we take a closer look at these creatures under a microscope?

Here you can see the symphatetic face of the blue/green Squid. Its vampiric life-sucking orifice has five sharp teeth ready to bite into its victim.

The part designers made a good job of capturing the cephalopod-type eye, which provides the squids with very good vision.

Detail of the tentacle fin.

The tail. You can see the line where the two halves of the mold meet and also the injection point on top.

Another tail. The red dye spreads from the point of injection.

There are numbers in the injection point (1-8) likely refering to a position of the Squid within the mold.

Yellow Squid torso.

That is it for now! I hope you can find a new appreciation for the little life-sucker.

31 Likes

Wow, I never realized there was such a wide spectrum of Squid colors. Very helpful, thanks a lot for sharing!

3 Likes

this is cool! they packed a lot of detail into these parts!

2 Likes

thats a whole lot of effort lego designers put into something i ate when i was 7

5 Likes

It looks good with the naked eye, but under a microscope that looks horrible.

I do like this style of topics though; keep me informed next time you do one of these because this is some interesting stuff.

On second thought never inform me ever I prefer to be naive

6 Likes

@LegoDavid, @Enbeanie, @Seuss, @Ghid
Thank you, I’m glad you like it!
I have a few ideas for the near future, but feel free to suggest any parts you would like to see up close. If I have them, I will consider them.

Whait what :no_mouth:?!

4 Likes

yummy

3 Likes

Come to think of it didn’t you post something similar in the squid color variation topic? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

maybe…

I put a lot of things in my mouth as a kid, okay? (rip Gavla 2008-2008)

2 Likes

Noice. The squid looks cool up close.
of course I only have 2 yellow ones and one is broken

2 Likes

my squid from Carapar lives on inside me to this very day

4 Likes

How did you break the Squid? Did you freeze it first? :laughing:

3 Likes

I just used my teeth idk they ain’t that solid or hard to break

1 Like

Well that’s the point, since they are bendy and rubbery, how would you break them without freezing them first?

2 Likes

simple: nom

1 Like

you seem to be too proud of the fact you consumed a lego piece

1 Like

yes (;

2 Likes

No. now I’m tempted to do that
um
I stretched the tail too far when I was launching it and the tail broke off.
so uh
that’s why I got another one

2 Likes

Well that is one of the reasons Squid launchers were a dubious idea in the first place - it expects you to put a repeated physical stress on the part with no indication of what is too much.

Don’t do it! Bionicle pieces must be protected! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

While I would never even think of attempting what @Seuss apparently did, It would be an interesting idea to make real edible replicas of the Squids - some sort of soft candy.
Where are all the Bionicle chefs??

4 Likes

Exactly. squid launchers suck

Of course it would be, it’s perfectly preserved in the ice.

No, it would be a gummy.
yum yum

2 Likes