LEGO Prototypes Discussion

Axonn’s old box box art looked so cool!

2 Likes

Here are CGI renditions of three prototype Barraki, found in the ancient archives of Biomediaproject’s games…

Noticeable differences:

• Mantax’s pincer appears to be a single piece; covering the entire socket joint like a “gauntlet” of sorts

• Kalmah’s feet aren’t webbed

• The prototype Squid Launchers are a lot wider and seem to be solid rather than rubbery. Interesting how the two extra squids are attached on clips on the launcher as opposed to on the Barraki’s bodies.

• Pridak’s feet have no toes

• Pridak’s forehead is a lot thinner, and he appears to have more of a “beak” similar to a parrot fish, rather than just teeth.

Clear source of inspiration there.

What do you guys think?

12 Likes

Honestly I would’ve preferred those Squid Launchers instead!

10 Likes

Yeah, but they seem to have gotten rid of the “ring” underneath to allow you to hold it around your finger…

I guess that’s what those two giant holes in the prototype were for…to put both fingers through them instead…

2 Likes

for some strange reason, those squid launchers look familiar to me…

4 Likes

Going back to the Inika prototypes (which I initially thought were the Mahri prototypes for some reason)…

inhales deeply

I love how each of them has their own unique feature to better represent their elements.

Matoro has a snowboard

Hahli has flippers

Kongu has insect wings and mandibles

Jaller has a flamethrower backpack

Nuparu has claws

And Hewkii has his chain

However only the latter two were brought to the final versions.

WHY

It would’ve made the Inika so much less generic.

Well, I guess Matoro and Jaller had trans bones to represent the energy of fire and ice.

And Hahli and Kongu had melded coloured parts to represent the…free-flowing properties of their elements?

But still, these were just colour changes, not physical things like Hewkii and Nuparu had

…well…come to think of it, Hewkii and Nuparu’s elements are the most “physical” of all the elements…oh snap…that was a deep metaphor in the designer’s part. :no_mouth:

Or maybe i’m thinking too deep…

BUT STILL

11 Likes

Them Krana though, I love them!

1 Like

I hear the salt mines are wonderful this time of year.

Prototypes are cool.

9 Likes

Extremely prototype Mask of Light trailers

17 Likes

Do you have an English translation of the first one, for people who only know English and Klingon?

4 Likes

The first one with Lewa is cool

2 Likes

He’s talking in german, he’s saying that “lego is gonna make its first movie for the bionicle line, it’s gonna be a 70 minute, completely animated movie, where the bionicle figures are gonna have an epic adventure story. The six toa are going to fight with the evil Makuta and the 6 rahkshi. Also there are gonna be sets based off the movie”

3 Likes

Ohhhh…ok.

2 Likes

Concept art of the swamp-adapted (Mistika) Kaukau Nuva

17 Likes

They’re both horrible!!! WHAT WHERE THEY SMOKING WHEN THIS MISTAKE HAPPENED???

1 Like

It’s all part of the development process. Every creation goes through an “ugly phase” before reaching the final product.

5 Likes

Eh, there OK.
I wouldn’t personally want either on a Gali as the first one looks like Krekka if he was a Kanohi and the second has Elda-Mustache Syndrome.

I wouldn’t say horrible, they just don’t match your taste :wink: . Also, a smoking reference isn’t that necessary, especially in a LEGO/Bionicle topic.

9 Likes

Mistika never grew out of that ugly stage though…

1 Like

Doesn’t match MY taste? It doesn’t match the characters they are suppose to represent at all!!!

And this is coming from a long time fan, I’ve been a fan since 2001 and us long time fans who started in 2001 all seem to agree that the phantoka and mistika where TERRIBLE!!! I feel like I’m losing brain cells just looking at the sets and concepts from 2008! (not to mention, the worst experiences of my life happened it 2008 and I was 10 then!)

So? This has happened multiple times with a variety of times in Bionicle and HF. Does the Noble Huna look anything like its Great counter part? No and the fanbase isn’t ranting about that.

So, because you were a fan in '01, that gives you the right to say that the entirety of '08 was a piece of garbage? Just because you became a fan in its year of release doesn’t mean you have the authority to tell what years were good and bad. The Mistika and Phantoka had their faults, but not to a set-breaking fault. I personally like them.

You don’t need to insult those who actually enjoy the Mistika/Phantoka. It’s just, as stated before, a matter of opinion. You might not enjoy it, but please don’t try to anger anyone who did enjoy it.

Also, can you try to limit some of your backlash; you might hurt somebody in the fanbase’s feelings. :wink:

12 Likes