LEGO Prototypes Discussion

That’s actually pretty cool

3 Likes

Even though it’s a pretty low-quality picture, I feel like someone somewhere out there would be able to make a fairly accurate recreation of that.

2 Likes

That’s something I would definitely love to see. People have done crazier things with less. And actually, if the post way upthread is anything to go by, there are more images/screencaps of the carrier than the one I posted. All you’d need is a physical copy of Legends of Metru Nui and some spare time to go through the bonus features.

… Anyone game?

3 Likes

Thats just probably russian alphabet really, not different names.

Okay, I have a prototype picture to discuss, but I’m unclear on the rules of this topic. If it has a “PRELIMINARY” stamp, I can’t post it?

1 Like

multiple other people in this topic have posted images that say “Confidential” and “Preliminary image” on them, so I guess it’s fine.

If those kinds of images weren’t allowed, I imagine that they would have be removed by now

Then credit to pack for this one:

[image with preliminary stamp removed because i’m afraid of being ip-banned]

All Our Sins Remembered and Fall and Rise of the Skrall depict Baterra in several places, and it’s believed that these were drawn based on some prototype models that we haven’t been able to find. Here, Speeda Demon is wearing the helmet of one of those Baterra prototypes, except with some hot rod wings attached.

9 Likes

wait
that actually looks really cool.
the baterra helmet I mean

It certainly looks similar to what we’ve seen of the Baterra, but I’m not sure it’s the same hypothetical piece:

That looks like a Hero Factory head, not a Glatorian head.

Unless CCBS was going to be implemented as early as the cancelled wave of Glatorian sets?

6 Likes

To me, it looks like it’s simply been placed on top of the head.

2 Likes

Prototypes have used cut-and-glued pieces before.

3 Likes

Could also be that it’s a reused prototype piece for a wave prior to Breakout. I could see the argument that it’s an early head design for Thunder, for instance.

Bruh, why did LEGO make a completely new helmet mold, only to never use it?
The fact that Speeda Demon just re-used the Black Phantom head instead of having is own unique one is quite disappointing…

1 Like

Prototypes aren’t molded.

They make a very, very small number of prototypes with a combination of kitbashing, 3d-printing, and modelling clay, and then only make the mold if they decide to mass-produce the part.

7 Likes

It is still a shame we didn’t end up getting that piece though…

For what is worth though, I am pretty sure prototype recolors are genuine, though.

EktKrKkX0AIh1Ys
Supposedly this was a Krekka prototype. I say supposedly as I found this image secondhand so I have no idea if the person making such a claim is to be believed. Still neat though. Also has anyone ever tried using these kitbash-filled prototype models as inspiration for a moc before?

4 Likes

That actually looks pretty dope!

I’ve seen this before, but marked as a Marendar prototype. Weird.

mandella effect amirite

I think someone said it would make for a good Marendar a few months ago, so that might be why
EDIT: here’s the post I was thinking of

I find lego prototypes really really interesting. I wish we could see more in-depth photos of all of them

4 Likes

Same. I’d really love to get my hands on at least one of the Inika prototypes.

Breaks my heart knowing that some intern probably had to smash them and most other prototypes with a hammer.

4 Likes