LEGO Prototypes Discussion

Nynrah Sippie Cups :baby_bottle:

@Atobe_Brick yeah I watched that video, very cool stuff, I notice it has become that guys most viewed video in a short space of time, I hope that prompts him to do more Bionicle videos.

6 Likes

He stated on his Instagram account that it’ll be a 3 episode retrospective series with the eps coming out weekly:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CraLVUGMfGM/

9 Likes
7 Likes

what about the rogue android robot from hero factory? or I read somewhere that von nebula was the narendra model that got switched over to hero factory??

3 Likes

That was used in the movie. It’s from a contest on BZP, and is named Silver.

3 Likes

It was intended to be Marendar originally, from what I recall

Since bionicle had ended by the time the contest closed, it was repurposed for hero factory

3 Likes

This rumour gets tossed around a lot, but it’s basically impossible for it to be true.

I’m pretty sure that, internally, Bionicle had ended (and Hero Factory had began) before the contest even started. The idea that Lego would sponsor a building contest for a story-exclusive Bionicle character that only appeared after the sets had been discontinued is extremely unlikely.

Furthermore, BBC53 (the contest for the drone) was hosted around early-to-mid 2009, while the first chapter of The Yesterday Quest didnt release until mid-2010 (right around the same time Hero Factory made its debut).

It seems far more likely to me that the contest was always intended for Hero Factory, and it was only announced as a “mystery character” to avoid spoiling the yet-to-be-revealed theme.

Also, this is from early 2009:

Hey GregF, just one question.

You have said that Baterra won’t be a set. This BZPower BBC#53 contest is not about building a Baterra then, correct? (It’s a contest that BIONICLE Set Designers are holding.)

Thanks.

No. I have no idea what the contest is in regard to.

If Marendar even existed as a concept back then (which seems extremely unlikely), and if the contest was for its appearance, you’d think Greg would know.

7 Likes

I believe, though I’m not able to quote the source (because I read it years ago), their was a book or article where the contest was confirmed to have always been for a fan-made character to appear in Rise of the Rookies. Silver, later renamed to The Drone, was the winner, and appears in a nearly unmodified state in the video, where he is defeated by Stormer.

2 Likes

third one dropped

7 Likes

looks like he’s got a Vakama mask and Nuva shoulders

6 Likes

Silver mask in the back looks like a hybrid Avohkii/Adaptive Hau

4 Likes

Looks like he has an elongated head too, maybe this is Mr. Nidhiki and Krekkster

4 Likes

I’ve recently found the pic of Axonn’s prototype Great Rode in a tweet:

Link to the tweet: https://twitter.com/TheOddLadyInRed/status/1673094359443722241/photo/1
Apparently, it appeared in one of DuckBrick’s videos about the 2006/7 prototypes.

12 Likes

I love the use of the nuva shoulder armor

4 Likes

I had never noticed all the remnants of the kitbashing in the final design, but now I can’t unsee it. It’s crazy how much of the original parts stayed in the mask; that prototype could easily be mistaken for the official part if you squint.

7 Likes

Babe wake up a new Turage Files released

12 Likes

I need those closed Tohunga arms in my life :weary:

Whyyyyy couldn’t they just make like another six or more Tohunga that weren’t McDonalds toys…ughhhhhh…need bronze Miru in mah life…

Faber’s enthusiasm is so infectious, do glad he’s unpacking all these storiess.

11 Likes

Is the OG gold one not close enough? I have a gold Kakama and Kaukau, and they both look more copper colored than gold (not that they’re misprints or something, just the old gold is off-color from what I’ve expected).

2 Likes

And I can’t think of any reason to scrap them, they’re just regular tohunga left arms with more connection points :pensive:

And yeah Faber is awesome

7 Likes

I love the Tohunga arms, MNOG vibes

3 Likes