LEGO Prototypes Discussion

Yes it is

3 Likes

There’s some Summer 2007 prototype sets at the Toy Fair.

6 Likes

Interesting how both the Garai and Tryna have an almost soft appearance to them. I wonder what they were made out of?

3 Likes

It looks like they have a rough texture, like slope bricks.

2 Likes

my understanding is they’re made via some sort of 3d printing process that uses powder rather than filament or resin, don’t remember where I heard the powder part though.

8 Likes

Yes. The most known processes are SLS (selective laser sintering) and SLM (Selective laser melting). This kind of processes is sometimes expensive due to the usage of fine powder and a powerfull laser, but are quite used for functionnal prototyping. Shapeways proposes this kind of processes for their pieces.

It would be coherent considering that the Gallileo video about the 2008 line conception show a (I suppose, not 100% sure, the brand of the machine is not cleraly visible) SLS machine manufacturing axalara T9 panels.

12 Likes

Fwiw, it’s not. The earliest six masks by element ID were a Hau in red, an Akaku in blue (“Pohatu’s Blue Akaku”), a Pakari in white, a Miru in brown, a Kakama in green, and a Ruru in black.

6 Likes

These '02 titans seem close to the released sets, though Cahdok was seen with red eyes in the instructions. The neck design looks simpler, and they both use Dinosaurs flippers for crests. The bodies look near identical to the released set.
(I tried re-creating the Queens from an old promotional description, where they are spiders and combo models)
The Exo-Toa looks the same barring some minor colour changes on the claw and legs, and the missing thigh armour/footholds.
The red faceplate on the Boxor feels out of place, but I think the set could have gotten away with a more colourful appearance, same with the Ussanui from story implications, but to the untrained, the Boxor looks like a shrunken Exo-Toa. At least the Matoran here is made of colour variants that have been released in official sets, so it can be built in real life.

3 Likes

Makes me wonder why Lewa’s axe never got recolored for future sets.

3 Likes

IDK if product packaging counts here, but Faber posted four Hero Factory Furno (Originally-Blaze) 1.0 box art designs from early 2010 a few days ago.

Link to the pictures: https://www.instagram.com/p/CwoASN7rzxz/?img_index=1

4 Likes

hold on let me show them just in case instagram does it’s funny where it doesn’t allow people who ain’t sign in to even look at anything

5 Likes

Wait, that has happened before? :worried:
Okay, I will pay more attention to that in the future when sharing anything from Instagram. THX for the heads up! :+1:

Anyway, I like these early Box front covers a lot!
They communicate the polished, futuristic aesthetics of the theme very well.

3 Likes

I love how the theme was originally called Her Factory. They should’ve stuck with that.

7 Likes

I find it funny that the copenhagen rig logo uses this exact color scheme. I guess this particular white-light blue-reddish orange palate really resonates with faber.

4 Likes

Cool Prototype Shadow Leeches

6 Likes

white round bois

5 Likes

EktKrKkX0AIh1Ys
I just caught this & I don’t think it’s been pointed out before

I know further up in this thread people were debating if this was a legitimate Krekka prototype. I’m not sure if it’s intended to be krekka, but it’s definitely a real prototype as you can see it on the shelf in this shot from the DVD extra that originally features most of the notorious prototype images from the 2004 line (along with some of the other models that are difficult to make out, but Kikanalo is clearly visible as well)

9 Likes

Mans returned from beyond the grave to point out Faber’s display of Bionicle prototypes

10 Likes

For some reason, I think that could be Makuta. The head looks a bit like the Kraakhan from the movies, and so do the legs.

4 Likes

I thought it had already been confirmed that it’s a Toa Hordika?

4 Likes