LEGO Technic Fan Survey

LEGO Technic is doing a survey asking people what they would like to see, and one of the questions is “Other than vehicles, what would you like LEGO Technic to do?”

I am really curious what would happen if a good number of people would ask for Technic-based Bionicle…

12 Likes

Already the first question of the survey was… frustrating. Why do they, of all things they could ask, first want to know, what licensed products I want. A couple of years ago licensed sets were something special and you could tell that they put in extra effort because of that. Now they throw licenses in every direction.
Is technology in the question about the buying trigger points supposed to be the same technology that is specified in a later question with “like Control+”, because if yes:
None of those pregiven optional answers have the option “I like to use the gear functions the set has”, why? Isn’t technic about functions?

7 Likes

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but Lego seems to have stopped caring about functions a long time ago

2 Likes

They could at least pretend :unamused:

I do agree with Makutros, the survey itself was definitely aimed at brand deals and their Control + app for the power functions. Very telling what the main purpose of this survey is and where they want to lead people in thinking. A stench of advertising to it all rather than legit survey.

Though I still answered it honestly. Besides, the question is,

“If you could choose, what 3 IPs/Brands would you like to have in the LEGO Technic portfolio?”

By its wording, that could include things like original IPs not currently in use. Clearly it is leaning towards outside parties, so I played along after answering Bionicle/constraction for the first IP. Otherwise, I probably would have made it all of Technic subthemes. For any curious, my other answers were John Deere and CAT.

For what types of vehicles, though I did stress I would appreciate seeing more than vehicles, I went the route of CyberSlam…and also firetrucks, tractors/farm equipment, submarines, one of those large crawler-transporters, etc. Look man, I’m a sucker for construction and firefighting vehicles (yes, I’m part of City’s problem), but also a Mid-Western lad, so tractors please. But also cool, unique, weird vehicles and creations like in CyberSlam.

For non-vehicle sets, I requested animals/creatures like the Rahi or Forma and buildable figures. Or even something like these sets again, just modernized.

There’s so much diversity that Technic could be doing, like it used to do, that they aren’t currently doing. Don’t get me wrong, I do love the current waves coming out and the variety it does have. There just could be so much more. Technic has been around since 1977 and even with all its subthemes (minus Bionicle), Ninjago almost has more sets than it. Lego City, been out since 2005, and has almost double the amount of sets as Technic. Come on guys, it has been several decades and you’ve still only tapped the surface of this system.

9 Likes

Now I feel that I said to Lego that everything they have done with Technic is stupid.
Because I actually have.

P. S. I really answered “Rerelease of Bionicle G1” in "what would you like LEGO Technic to do?” question. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Guns, i want Lego Technic guns with automatic functions and accesories like a scope, flashlight, extra grip, grenade launcher!

It would never be possible, but i can dream alright!

4 Likes

I’m pretty happy that they’re doing this just because there’s finally an outlet to tell them that I want technic to be more than just realistic vehicles.

4 Likes

Got somethin’ that might interest ya’.

14 Likes

looking at these, technic built guns actually sound really interesting, shame we’ll never get official ones.

2 Likes

This looks like one of those “surveys” that’s really created by people with an agenda who want to then pitch their next idea to the high-ups with a bunch of “statistics” to support them. The questions show really blatant skewing.

Out of curiosity (and because I’m out of the Technic loop), what’s Control+?

It’s an alternative to power functions that uses a mobile device instead of a remote controller. I don’t understand why they switched to this system though, pf was perfectly fine.

3 Likes

I believe the biggest change is the connection system, from IR to Bluetooth.

The IR connection has a shorter range, and doesn’t work that well in the sunlight.

1 Like

yesh

5 Likes

That’s amazing, and i think it really fits with Lego Technic. just sad that they probably wont do anything like that because it isn’t kid friendly.

that and their policies against making toys based on modern/realistic military stuff

1 Like

There’s an official lego technic poll, where we could request for bionicle sets to be made.
https://www.reddit.com/r/bioniclememes/comments/lrgucd/you_know_what_has_to_be_done/

3 Likes

I’m going to be honest, I don’t think spamming this technic poll with “brung bonkle back!” is going to change Lego’s mind, if anything it comes off as childish whining, I understand that it shows we want it back but it feels like a subject for a different poll.

As to what things I want from technic, the Osprey was going to be the first licensed aircraft for technic. I was hyped for it purely because of its unique design and that it was finally a licensed helicopter. So some replacement aircraft would be nice, ones that are well and truly civilian, such as a De Havilland Otter or a Bell 47 bubble helicopter.
Also Lego is a diverse system and I feel that a modular boat hull system for technic would be great and if designed right could be used for plenty of aquatic vehicles. Cousteau’s Calypso research vessel anyone?
When the survey said “what non vehicles would you like to see?” I was kinda stumped, there is plenty of interesting engineering throughout the world but I don’t know what would sell, would they be open to making a giant bridge as a set? Or a stationary engine? Some sort of robot would certainly be interesting but ccbs is not that.
Might take a bit more thinking for me to decide what I’m going to say in the form.

Edit: thinking about it a DH Tiger Moth would be epic

2 Likes

I want to see more Cyber-Competition like sets.

3 Likes

Exactly. My input basically boils down to ‘something in the same vein as the competition and 01rahi sets’. Fantasy/sci-fi vehicles and smaller impulse buy sets.
I love the technic system but the subject matter (real world vehicles) is too monotonous to creep my interest.

7 Likes