LEGO Worldbuilder and a unique experience with it

This is a weird topic, and there might already be a thread like this, but I feel I have a unique story to tell here that warrants this thread.

So, how many of you are familiar with LEGO Worldbuilder? If you’re not, it’s a service ran by Tongal in association with TLG that acts to allow users to create a “world”, filled with characters, storylines, and more. Essentially, it’s like LEGO Ideas but for a full-fledged world, maybe even a theme. Worlds from it have been turned into Web shorts on LEGO’s socials, such as the Golden Hour Ninjago short. I’ve noticed the platform is rather scarce in user activity, which may be a side effect of lukewarm marketing and advertising.

So, here’s where my interesting story begins. If you have any familiarity with Mixels, you can tell by my choice of profile picture that I’m a die-hard fan of the line. So, when I saw that Worldbuilder had an option to create a world based on an existing LEGO property (I.E. Ninjago), you’d better believe I took the chance to plug my own Mixels series on there, titled the Lost Tribes of Planet Mixel. I’m not here to plug that (okay, maybe a little), so let’s continue.

A while after I set up my world with characters, society elements, etc, Worldbuilder staff actually emailed me asking if I’d be interested in answering interview questions for a 810NICLE Day promotion. Of course, I said yes, and gave my answers to two questions they had asked some other BIONICLE fans in the community. Why did they ask me, you may be wondering? Four of the Mixel characters I had created were nods to Lewa, Matau, Kongu, and Krika. You can actually find this “promotion” on a sole Instagram post. I don’t have the link handy, but it wouldn’t be hard to find.

Flash forward a few months, I’ve long moved on from my Worldbuilder project after completing it. Another email comes in from the team, and this one was very interesting. You see, they had started this marketing event in which they created DnD-esque cards for random Worlds on the platform, and mine was chosen as the prime example for spin-off Worlds. You can find the card on their socials, but also, they had offered to send me “an exclusive worldbuilder minifig habitat”. Obviously, I said yes to free stuff and about 6 weeks later, I get this in the mail…

About 200 loose parts and a fairly well made habitat in an acrylic box for safety during shipping. Fun fact: the chair and table are actually glued together. Why? No clue, especially since the rest of the habitat isn’t!

Not really knowing what to do, I just threw a ton of the parts against the walls, creating this little monstrosity.

But wait. Bar the mono-fig, is that a printed 2x3 tile?

Weirdly, I’m the first person to detail this on the Internet. At least, I think so. I didn’t expect a unique print that likely only exists in a very limited quantity, but I suppose that’s what they meant by “exclusive”.

So… what’s the point of this topic? I feel I needed to share this weird little experience with the world somewhere. I kinda feel the weird urge to document this, as well as this one print that I believe only a few others may have. I got like 300 parts for simply existing on the Worldbuilder site (my project has far less hits than most), and that’s honestly really cool. LEGO is a great company for being willing to do little things for fans like this, and I feel this is an interesting scenario as very few people actually use Worldbuilder. Some Web shorts have been made from the platform, but I can’t see it lasting much longer with its dwindling user base.

Have you used Worldbuilder or still do?

18 Likes

Ooh this seems quite interesting

3 Likes

I thought this was a new finding about the early 2000’s Flash game.

I didn’t even know this was a service until now.

2 Likes

This is very interesting, I’m gonna have to dive into this later and see what it offers. That’s super cool that they reached out to you luke that, and I’m really interested that they’ve reached out specifically regarding Bionicle

2 Likes

This is literally my favorite site. I’ve been working on a Bionicle project for a while now, and I’ve actually gotten fan art for it! It’s so fun as a writer to get to experience other writers with passion for LEGO.

3 Likes

Free stuff?

Time to make a Worldbuilder project :sunglasses:

10 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking as well :smirk: :star_struck:

Time to make another PM for a project that we’ll over complicate and it will never see the light of day…?

And thank you for sharing this! A very interesting discovery, I’m curious about the walls, are those glued 1x2/2x2 bricks or is it one giant piece??

7 Likes

do it.

6 Likes

Among Us World builder Project letz go

I guess at least I now qualify for the minimum age thing unlike a few years ago

6 Likes

They’re glued 1x1 and 1x2 bricks, I was under the assumption they weren’t stuck together since the base of the habitat can be taken apart but seems I was wrong!

3 Likes

Wow this is really interesting and unique, I wonder how many of these exist?

4 Likes

This is probably the most intriguing aspect of this to me. Very interested to see where this leads.

4 Likes

Looks like they already released that last year for european 810 day (the 8th of october): LEGO World Builder on Instagram: "Hey there, Architects! We’re celebrating (European) #810day by taking a look at some Worlds created by #Bionicle fans. First up is The Lost Tribes of Planet Mixel! Architect synonymforexpd describes herself as “a lifelong #LEGO fangirl that has been greatly creatively inspired by themes such as #Mixels and BIONICLE.” She first encountered the theme in 2006 and has particular memories of the Phantoka commercials from 2008. Her world has been influenced by the line in a number of ways-- but the Tree Toppers are directly inspired by 2001’s Matau, Kongu and Lewa, and Flyder is based on 2008’s Krika! Zenith Age is the brainchild of Architect MooCowsRock, who was introduced to LEGO as a brand by 2001’s first wave of BIONICLE sets. “[I’m] still inspired by [...] all the narrative and storyworld intricacies that made BIONICLE truly remarkable,” they explain. It should come as no surprise, then, that MooCowsRock drew inspiration from this wealth of history and lore. “One of the great thrills of BIONICLE was the earth-shattering mystery revealed about its setting in 2008. Zenith Age also incorporates a massive world reversal.” And of course we couldn’t celebrate #International810 Day without checking out something more directly inspired by the line. BIONICLE: HIATUS, the last world we’ve chosen to highlight, is a side story envisioned by Architect Kohrakazi. “I've been a LEGO fan for over half my life,” he explains, “and a BIONICLE fan for most of that time.” Hiatus fleshes out the story of #Lesovikk, a Toa of Air who made his debut in 2007, and focuses on the search for his missing friends on the hostile island of Karzahni-- and his clashes with its terrifying and despotic ruler! Stories of BIONICLE’s death are greatly exaggerated. It’s been kept alive and well since 2010 (and 2016) by dedicated fans. But perhaps these worlds have gotten your creative juices flowing and the idea gears in your brain turning? Do you have an idea for a Max build for the Lost Tribes? Or a new foe to threaten the Xenosphere? Or even a new ally for Lesovikk? Check out these worlds (and many more) on #LEGOWorldBuilder and carve your name on the Wall of History! #AFOL #constraction #toa"

2 Likes

Okay, this is an amazing comment by whatever LEGO legends run LEGO World Builder.

5 Likes

nuh uh

You can’t just come here, on a Bionicle site, and say stuff like that.

You are to be burned at the stake for your heresies.

But legitimately, that’s really neat. If I had time, I’d love to use Worldbuilder for something, I’m already more than passionate about worldbuilding in general, if less so about LEGO nowadays.

your habitat is shockingly good for a bunch of random parts, by the way. looks like some sort of abstract art or something.

4 Likes