Length Of A Novel

A lot of people refer to the books in the Bionicle Chronicles, Adventures, and Legends series as “novels.” Nowadays, it seems like every fiction book that people read for entertainment is considered a novel. At least, as long as it has a lot of pages and doesn’t have any pictures.

But that’s not the real definition of a novel. To define a “novel,” you have to go off of how many words the story contains. Technically speaking, a 40,000-word book can be considered a novel, but most modern novels are longer than that. While many publishers accept a minimum of 50,000 words, most modern novels fall between the 80,000 and 100,000 word range.

What does this have to do with Bionicle? Well, since the books aren’t that thick, and the writing isn’t exactly tiny, I highly doubt their word counts are anywhere near 80,000, or even 40,000. Maybe if they managed to cross the 10,000 word mark, then they could be considered novellas (is that a word?). Then again, I guess “novella” doesn’t sound as epic as “novel.”

But does anyone actually know how many words the Bionicle books have? If so, then we might be able to get to some kind of conclusion.

1 Like

Around 20,000:

I mean, if you’re really curious, you can copy-paste the PDFs of the first third of the Legends series (found here) into a Microsoft Word or Google Docs document and see how many words it has that way. Technically you can do the same with the other books via Biological Chronicle, but those are bloated with extraneous materials outside the books, so you’d have to be savvy about your copy-pasting.

It is.

1 Like

pffft, not 400,000 words like Brandon Sanderson? 0/10

gosh i hate those books sometimes

4 Likes