Lewa - Master Of Jungle (Revamp)

Interesting.
I like the level of detail you were going for, the Brickthing inspiration is evident (as well as in the editing). As far as colors go, it’s quite chaotic, but that look kind of works for Lewa?.. (although I’d suggest redistributing the colors on the legs - there’s a lot of gunmetal there compared to the rest of the MOC).
The main issue for me is the build. Not the construction of the MOC, but the physical form/stature or whatever you want to call it. Definitely odd proportions, and I don’t think the vine whip arm really fits with Lewa.
Which brings me to another point…
Is this actually a revamp of Lewa, or your own version of Kulgai?
It reminds me far more of Kulgai than Lewa, as far as its distinctive traits and (from what I can tell just by looking at it) your intentions in the design process.
Curious to hear your thoughts.

1 Like

I love the lower body and the legs, but I feel the upper body, head and arms are where I find issues.

The upper body kind of bulks out to the extent where its a little too wide, giving the impression of a muscular character while the lower half screams ‘sleek and agile fighter’. It also makes the head look a lot smaller given the upper body is much larger than it. The vine arm is an intriguing concept and having a vine wrap around it helps, but it looks so thin compared to the other arm. Both arms also feel like they needs to be higher and lastly the Skull Spider seems out-of-place and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Other than those issues, I do enjoy the MOC and its an impressive build overall :3

2 Likes

Looks like Lewa got tired of getting infected and started going to the gym.
I like it.

4 Likes

This is a very interesting take on Lewa. I was expecting something a little smaller and more in-scale with the original Lewa, but whatever. Very good job on making him look like he’s a part of the forest. I like the armor design, and you consistently kept the color scheme throughout the build.

The axe does seem a bit too small for him, though.

2 Likes

@DarkTakanuva
Thank you! Personally, I like the size of the axe, but thanks for the feedback!

@Chro

Well, this is a revamp of Lewa. However, what I was going more towards the theme that Kulgai presented. I wanted to look more like a being of nature than a nimble warrior. That’s mostly where I drew my inspiration. Also, the gun-metal grey is supposed to represent armor, but take that as you will.

Thanks for the feedback!

@Studentscissors
Haha, thanks :smiley:

@Maethorneth Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

My problem is that there’s… well, there’s so much Kulgai inspiration, it looks so much like him, that it’s clear you based more than just the theme. :stuck_out_tongue: Nothing wrong with that, though.

1 Like

Looks pretty good, the shoulder placement seems odd, like they are too low. I can get what you’re trying to do but I’m personally not a fan of the “one with nature” thing. Also maybe if there was less gunmetal, it would look better. Maybe if you just made gunmetal feet and shins, then it would look like he was wearing boots or something. just my opinion.

1 Like

Dude! That is one awesome MOC! Great work! Very creative!

1 Like

I think it looks very cool, trust me, but…

At first I thought this was just that MoC. I just… I don’t know. It looks good, but it looks a little too much like Kulgai.

And the head is tiny.

But other than that, it looks pretty dang cool.

2 Likes

(Alright, is this it? Is this the topic I’m thinking of? It’s gotta be! I made an obligation!)

Well, as I said prior, I am quite impressed by this MOC. It’s size alone is quite impressive, and the BrickThing inspired editing accents it nicely and allows me to really pick it apart. So, great job with the photos!

To start off, I really like the look of it. You get the steam-punk/jungle mix across very nicely, intentional or not. The upper torso looks very well jungle inspired, if a bit cluttered at times. The main reason I can see people disliking the upper torso is because of the colors, which vary a lot. Something I would’ve done would be to consolidate it to a few bright colors and leave it at that. While sure, the dark greens do an alright job of representing jungle, they do clutter the MOC a tad despite the build looking very solid and fluid.

I must say, I really like the back. The almost totem pole like skulls on the back make him feel oddly ancient. Kind of like an old jungle ruin. Also, the plants on the back flow beautifully with the gears. I really like how that looks and words out. The pistons on the arm seem a tad out of place, however, as well as the Inika head.

Speaking of the arms, I like what you were going for here. I really like that vine arm. It think the look is pulled off well enough, and the tentacle really helps that. The one thing I would’ve suggested would be a better transition between the tentacle and the arm. It seems like a rather abrupt ■■■■■ between the two and looks a tad unnatural. The other arm seems solid, but a tad long and awkwardly armored. I’m not sure what could be done about it, so it serves its purpose well enough.

Finally, the red axles and ball connectors. Did you run out of black, or was the red intentional? I’m curious.

All in all, the MOC still impresses me and I really enjoy it! He really looks like a Master of the Jungle!

Keep doing great work!

4 Likes

First of all, thank you very much for the feedback! (And, yes, this is the topic you we’re looking for :smile: )

Yes, looking back, a lot of attributes of this moc are rather “thrown-together”. I probably should’ve spent WAY longer on the arms, to make them match the rest of the body. And, yes, I agree that the dark green seems a bit out of place, next to the lighter greens and yellows.

And, of course, I was prepared for you to comment on the axles and pins XD. What I REALLY need to do is take a day and sort out all of my small pins and such, so I dont run into any more of these problems. In the end, it just came down to me being too dang lazy to find more black balls and pins. This needs to change, as laziness is no excuse for a sub-par moc.

Once again, thanks so much for the feedback!

2 Likes

Colour and texture distribution definitely could use some work. However, this is an impressive MOC overall and and a very neat concept.

2 Likes