Lewa, Toa of Wind - Animated Series [CHARACTER DESIGN]

This is fanart for how I’d imagine Lewa to look like in an animated series. I should mention that I took some inspiration from Var’s "The Guardian in the Sky, joshuad17’s fanart, and especially Supergirl’s design in her current run.

I also didn’t keep CCBS too much in mind, but considering how Star Wars does its constracction line, the translation is possible.

CHARACTER DESIGN

Yep, she’s short. I imagined her to be in her early-to-mid teens, explaining her height and skinniness (my attempts at making her look stronger resulted in her looking like an adult - not that teenage girls are supposed to be that thin). I also had to simplify some of the patterns on her chest and mask to make it a bit faster to draw. As you might have noticed, she doesn’t have her nuva symbol on her forehead anymore.

I should also thank @Asriel for pointing out her weird leg proportions that I ended up fixing in this edit.

FACIAL EXPRESSIONS

A few expressions. Didn’t end up as cute or crazy as I wanted, but I’m pretty satisfied with these anyway.

POSES

Some action poses that she might do. As you can see, I ended up using one of the sketches for the “promo art”.

“PROMO” ART

Well, yeah. What is there to say about this?

SCRAPPED SKETCHES

Aaaaaand, some older versions of lewa ranging from a few days to a little over two months ago. I should mention that before I went for an Avatar-esque design I wanted to make it more of a minimalist MNOG/Samurai Jack style, but I’m not good enough to pull it off properly. I do have a full Onua design in that style, but I’ll probably (definitely) redo it, since it doesn’t look very good.

So yeah, I’ll probably do the rest of the Toa, but all this took me almost a week so it might take a while. There’s plenty here to look at in the meantime.

59 Likes

This has as much yes as I can yes! :grin:

3 Likes

her body is WAAAAY too long, she should have a shorter body and longer legs, to give her a more agile look

2 Likes

Looks great!

The only thing that bugs me is that the face doesn’t look… feminine enough, I guess? Maybe it’s just because I’m so used to Lewa being male…

5 Likes

continuing with my previous comment about her body having to be shorter and legs having to be longer, this is what I meant

here is the comparison

11 Likes

And Ragdoll does it agian.

Just amazing.

I should get back to my necrons.

2 Likes

Welp, you’ve made a good enough case for me to start modifying it. Thanks! You weren’t the first person to point out the legs were weird, but you actually showed me why and the alternative.
It’ll probably be ready in a few hours. The specific way I drew this in Illustrator makes it a bit of a headache to edit.

3 Likes

Awesome. Just, awesome. This art style really works with the designs.

I might make a design like this for some of the other characters

1 Like

Looks terrific! It is kinda interesting how the mask could be used for either gender IMO. Though the cat face just…yes.

2 Likes

4 Likes

You know, initially I didn’t know how I felt about Lewa being a girl, but the idea is really starting to grow on me. I love this design, and I can’t wait to see how the rest of the toa turn out. I love the inclusion of the nuva symbol.

2 Likes

Am I the only one finding the skinny arms looking really odd (especially the right one), and I also agree with @ReeseEH but not because of the Lewa used to be a male (heck in my not doing anything at all with it G2 remake, Lewa is female), looking at the facial expression gives a more young male look than female.

But that looks really good lad, and I could see this being translated into a CCBS set, but not so much with the waist cloth and there likely need to be a new piece for CCBS to make those skinny arms.

1 Like

Isn’t this brickonicle tho?

It would be a minifig, not ccbs.

2 Likes

I think this is for the tv show, which the TTV said in their last brainstorm might be stylized in the same way as Elves.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know, I’m not at all caught up on it.

I’ve read a couple of topics here because I felt like it, so yeah, not really in the loop.

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here for now… I doubt many people are gonna see this.

WIP

Working on something with my brother. This one might take a while.

10 Likes

This just looks like it’s gonna be a comedy… I love it already!

1 Like

This looks amazing! Kinda reminds me of this.

4 Likes

I was listening to some of the TTV videos about it in the background, they said that Brickonicle would have some constraction sets.

1 Like

Welp, there you go.

Like I said, I barely know anything about it.

1 Like