Lion Knight Toa Orde (TYQ Toa Project Part II)

Hello for a second time today.

I’m once again back with one of my Studio mocs this time with a part 2 of the yester day quest toa project. That being Toa Oard aka Toa Orde:

For this project and consequentially this moc I wanted to make reference to classic LEGO themes using the established colorscheme for the respective toas species as a jumping off point. So in the case of Orde I thought of making him a knight after remembering the 1985 lion knights classic castle faction. I realized it was a perfect fit and worked well since both Orde and the Lion knights had blue and gold in their color scheme.

Unlike Chiara I went with designing Orde based around a Minifig instead of a set. Which leaves Zaria to be inspired by a “subtheme” of pirates(within another theme, lol)

Lastly I wanted to throw in a reference to Bionicle between all of them since Chiara got the futuristic looking Inika build, Orde had to settle for the old timey Mata build. The goal is to have every LEGO released Toa build featured between the trio.

But why? Why all the references? As you may know this year its the LEGO company’s 90th anniversary and to celebrate I took this opportunity to make a fun, creative and canon compliant twist on this trio of beloved characters using the top 4 voted themes from the LEGO poll as my inspiration for their designs. So with out much further a do, please enjoy in all his glory…

Toa Orde, Psionic Lion Knight:

12 Likes

Interesting mace design. Also the color scheme is pretty good.

1 Like

That flail design is cool.

2 Likes

I like the idea of Orde having a Mata build, since he was the first Ce-Toa. The legs (and Nuva armor tbh) feel too busy on the MOC, though. I love the overall concept though :+1:

2 Likes

Thx

@StudentScissors I don’t know what this is supposed to add to the conversation? It probably wasn’t your intention but it feels like a fixing art statement.

1 Like

Note for future readers: this post is referring to a deleted post

• I get the mace, making it more “mace-like”, though yours is probably more sturdy.
  • the custom legs are probably more poseable, but they no longer look like Mata legs, so I’d call that a downgrade
  • it does fix the thigh armor sticking out, though I think that’s not so much an issue with your build as it is the posing; it looks fine in the first pic
  • the arm color/piece change is just… why? What does that clip piece achieve?
  • I guess he did fix that wierd 3/4-pin for the shin armor
  • spreading the grey on the mask to the hands and knees is a decent idea, though I get why you had the grey mask on yours.

I do think there are some aspects to his moc that you could probably apply to yours to improve it. However, I have to agree with you that his post does come off as “hey, I’m going to FIX your moc”, rather than just providing critique to help you improve. Like, he could’ve just said “the mace design is awkward, the 3/4 pin in the shins should probably be a half pin, etc.”, and let you change what you see fit.

3 Likes

I attempted to make some changes taking his picture into consideration without changing the base build too much. This was the result:

I’d say I’m pleased with my current revision, seeing as this is merely a canon compliant take and not a future contest entry. I didn’t want to make too drastic changes from my original vision.

5 Likes

Is the lower part of the handle a custom piece, or does Studio just not render the ridges on a 2L axle?

1 Like

Vintage 2l did not have ridges, normally it renders ridges, I purposefully used the old mould for the handle

1 Like