Makuta are Ridiculously powerful

Hello everyone! Just thinking on something today and just came to the overall conclusion that Makuta truly are ridiculously powerful “OP” you might say. So let’s take a look here, a single member of the Makuta species has 42 different powers with some ranging in the ridiculous, such as gravity power that can create black holes, molecular disruption, magnetism on level with magneto that can flatten opponents or rip them apart, weather control (create blizzards, storms etc), disintegration can turn opponents into dust, limited invulnerability makes user impossible to harm for a time and much much more! Those are just 6 of the 42 abilities these god like beings possess. They are energy encased in armor as durable as adamantium and can change shape at will. That’s kind of what brings me to my other point, knowing this it seems rather odd how easily defeated several Makuta were in the story, Tridax, Spiriah (though not as mind boggling), how despite their abilities they decide to fight in hand to hand combat against each other in Karda Nui to quell Icarax’ rebellion when there would have been at least 8 powers that I would think could have stopped him much easier etc, or how they don’t instantaneously defeat thier opponents like Teridax vs the Shadowed One or Teridax vs Brutaka, in reality despite Brutaka’s skill as a fighter it should have gone the way of Icarax vs Botar and got immediately flattened (though I’m not sure of what limitations Teridax had in his Maxilos form). Let me know your thoughts!

3 Likes

Well Makuta can only use one Kraata power at a time. That’s something to consider

5 Likes

True, but I mean most of those would only take one lol

2 Likes

I think Greg Farshtey pretty much canonized that the Makuta are basically nerfed by their own ego, meaning that they often underestimate the situation and therefore don’t fight with all the powers at their disposal.

10 Likes

Speaking of Makuta, did Teridax have any limitations in the Maxilos body as far as powers are concerned?

1 Like

I heard one person on Tumblr suggest that Makuta should be born with only 3 of the 42 powers so that way its balanced. Teridax would master all 42 because of course and that Makuta would have to borrow rahkshi from other members with different powers so those rahkshi can cover the Makuta’s weaknesses.

3 Likes

Yes.

While the limitations haven’t been fully defined, we know that, at the very least, he could not shapeshift:

Greg has also given a list of other powers that may have been affected (though this list was not given in response to Maxilos, specifically):

This quote gives a good idea of what other powers may or may not have been available, based on whether they are “physical” powers or “mental” powers.

4 Likes

That’s actually very helpful! Thank you!

yeah come to think about it they were far to over powered, i defiantly would nerf them in a reboot

2 Likes

Yeah I think they could have used a proper nerfing to make it more fair to the other characters lol.

In my view, the topic title is kind of old news. Though they are the bad guys and they are supposed to be intimidating so the audience is left in suspense as to whether the Toa will actually win.

Still, those battles in Karda Nui were stretching disbelief a little bit. The Toa should have been pulverized - if the Makuta weren’t “acting” and merely pretending to fight the Toa to hide Teridax’s plan to take over the universe cough

3 Likes

I am positive it has been rehashed dozen times by now, I just wasn’t there for them hahaha. That those battles in Karda Nui were! They certainly should have if it were any situation besides their pretend battles haha.

3 Likes

I mean, seven of eight Makuta in Karda Nui were nerfed. And the one that was not rarely left the base.

3 Likes

Good point actually. I really actually truly would have loved to see Makuta go full power more than the very very few times we saw it happen.

3 Likes

Not really; you said it yourself, the Makuta needed the Toa alive.

It isn’t “stretching disbelief” to say that the Toa were able to win because the Makuta wanted them to. If anything, it’s the complete opposite, providing a rational explanation to the outcome of a fight that, according to a reader’s previous knowledge of the combatants, should have gone completely the other way.

The Icarax vs. Teridax battle must have been awesome.

4 Likes

It was “stretching disbelief” until Makuta Teridax’s Plan was fully revealed. Granted, The Plan was alluded to in the Karda Nui fight and actually caused the Makuta to fight among themselves - Icarax fought Gorast, I remember.

1 Like

Yeah,that makes sense.

Greg says that the Phantoka and Mistika Makuta were blinded and mutated, respectively, to balance the fight, but I honestly don’t think that would really do much. Even with those handicaps, the Makuta would have killed the Toa if they wanted to.

Pretty much. Icarax was able to convince Krika that Mata Nui shouldn’t be awakened, and to help him try to stop the Toa, but then Gorast and Vamprah killed him with Mutran’s assistance.

2 Likes

The weird thing is that the Toa actually acknowledge that several times in the story.

3 Likes