Makuta Crochira (Senit's Brotherhood Collab)

Makuta Crochira
Kanohi Faxon
Makuta of the Southern Ocean

He didn’t end up being quite what I wanted, but I am glad I was able to do what I did. Maybe I’ll revamp him at a later date.

I took inspiration from several deep sea creatures, including the Japanese Spider Crab. I initially intended a large set of claws coming out of his sides but I’m not yet able to achieve that.

Leg close-up:

This was the key project I wanted to pursue:

I was able to use a transparent Minifigure chalice to splite the strobe effect of an Inika weapon down three optic cores instead of just one. It’s bulkier than I’d hoped, but I’m happy I was able to make a functional prototype. Simply pinch Crochira’s torso and all six spines light up. I modified nothing to achieve this, and will reassemble the Laser Axes when it’s time for Crochira to pass on.

I’ll try to get a video of it here, one way or another.

Alrighty, essay time:

Makuta Crochira was an expert in sea life, primarily life in the extreme environments at the bottom of the ocean. He was usually reclusive, content to research his scientific interests with as little interruption as possible. Because of this, he kept a very low profile, even in the eyes of Miserix and Teridax.

After the Civil War on Metru Nui, Miserix assigned each Makuta to a region to oversee. Crochira was one of the few Makuta who was assigned a region other than an island or continent. Most bodies of water fell under the jurisdiction of the local landmass Makuta, but the ocean around the southern continent concerned Miserix. While it was an ultimately unimportant region of the map, it was also a massive one, and the sheer volume of it offered too much opportunity for a threat to arise in secret.

Miserix didn’t want to waste the talents and minds of Makuta like Mutran, Antroz, or Gorast on a largely inactive body of water, but still wanted someone who would take the job seriously. Crochira was the perfect choice: a reclusive marine expert, whose delusions of grandeur were contained within the scope of his work. Miserix was certain Crochira would pour everything he had into this assignment, and he was right.

When Teridax called for a Convocation and usurped Miserix, Crochira joined him without a second thought. He didn’t really care for the glory Teridax preached; Crochira was a worshipper at his own altar, and that was sufficient for him. No, Crochira simply wanted Mata Nui out of the picture. To him, it was logical: the Great Spirit was all but absent, all the time. The Brotherhood had already proven more effective at maintaining order than the Barraki, Mata Nui’s anointed (and failed) kings. Nobody needed Mata Nui, so his removal would only serve to streamline the Makuta’s ability to lead.

Crochira returned from Destral to his undersea kingdom and performed his duties, equalizing the ecosystem of that ocean more and more effectively every day. Sometimes the Brotherhood would request his involvement in a project or scheme, but most typically they would leave him to his work. Eventually, Teridax decided Crochira was more a threat than an aide, and had Vamprah hunt and kill him, roughly twenty thousand years ago.

Crochira is arrogant, and very nearly earns it. He is, arguably, the most technically successful Makuta in regards to ecosystem management, and for this reason he requires no external praise. The Makuta were created for one reason, and Crochira performs perfectly, every time. Of what use is service from an inferior being? Whatever the task, he could do it better himself.

Crochira immerses himself in the natural process of his environment, favoring bizarre and animalistic appearances that would better adapt him to his surroundings. He wears a Kanohi Faxon, the Mask of Kindred, allowing him to adopt the powers and abilities of the creatures he shares an environment with. Considering his expert ability to create marine Rahi, and his already impressive array of Makuta powers, the variety of ability Crochira possesses is nearly limitless. Nevertheless, he is a poor combatant, and this deficit played quickly into his downfall at the hands of his brothers.

It’s unclear what precisely Crochira was doing so deep beneath the waves, but legends of sea monsters, underwater cities and portals to another world fill the minds of the locals. Even the Brotherhood is surprisingly ignorant to his doings, and what little they knew died with them.

33 Likes

I know the lights are cool but favourite part of this is how you were able to use that Tiny Turbos canister lid.

4 Likes

This whole thing is built around me trying to force that into the set. It fits close but loosely around a 5L technic chassis; add 1/2 pins on both sides and it’s snug enough to hold on without really straining anything. It kinda reminded me of a nautilus shell, didn’t wanna pass up the opportunity

4 Likes

Okay This is Fantastic Wekua. Really unique design and using the Inika lights like that is so cool and even better that nothing got destroyed to achieve it.

4 Likes

@Monopoly @Alucia thanks guys I really appreciate it!

3 Likes

Well done!

This is really neat

5 Likes

Epic as hick.

3 Likes

@Atobe_Brick @Droconis thanks guys!

3 Likes

This is extremely cool in a lot of ways.

For starters, I love the general idea of Makuta having non-humanoid, or otherwise odd, “base/preferred forms”, and this definitely fits into that category.

There are also many instances of unique parts usage that I like. Obviously the splitting of the lights is the centerpiece, but the Racers lid is awesome as well (I loved that theme), and, as simple as it is, I think it’s really clever the way you wedged the blue/transparent tube in his face into the Onua claw.

Plus using the giant Faxon as an actual Faxon is cool too.

5 Likes

Thanks @TheJerminator, I really appreciate the kind words! I knew I wanted him to be weird; usually a Makuta ends up being a humanoid or bat themed or both. Which is, of course, always cool, but I kinda figured: if Makuta take forms to frighten others, and I lived in a world wherein Skakdi and Zyglak and Frostelus are fairly well known about, what would actually scare me? Deep sea creatures are easily the most visually disturbing creatures we have on earth, so I pursued that.

The mask was key, too. I wanted to break the mold of “Makuta use immoral masks”, and at the same time pick an unsettling appearance; the giant Faxon was easily the strangest Kanohi I had in both regards. I even gave Crochira articulated eyes like a praying mantis, just because eye contact adds a dose of consciousness to the interaction. I figured if something that looks like that made active eye contact with me, I’d probably have a heart attack.

His eye stalk can rotate downward to see what his little hands are doing. Imagine this thing looming over you, hands on your limbs, and then it’s eyeballs just pull out of it’s head and circle around to stare at you. Absolutely disgusting. Exactly what I would do if I were a Makuta

7 Likes

Very nice

4 Likes

I have to say that this is very good.
He looks very creepy and the glow spines look really nice.

4 Likes

@N01InParticular @Senit thanks guys! Creepy is the ideal state for a Makuta I think

4 Likes

This is truly amazing. I’ve never seen a custom, yet unmodified, light system like yours before. It is honestly one of the most amazing parts of this MOC.

3 Likes

Thanks man! I appreciate it

3 Likes

I’m imagining them pulling way out of his head; like, an arm’s length. Do they pull out that far, and, if so, are there any pictures?

4 Likes

No, it’s more that the eystalk drops downward. I’ll try to take some photos at a later date and post em

3 Likes

Ooh this is a super creepy look looking Makuta moc. From the giant squid-like head to the spindly legs this build looks very alien to more traditional Makuta designs. Nice parts use and color scheme as well, great job!

3 Likes

Neat :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Somehow i missed this one and i have to say
This is really, really cool. I love his whole “deep-sea thingy” aesthetic.

4 Likes