Marendar, the Salvation (GHIDONICLE Fanon Contest #2)

Really awesome torso design! Mind if I borrow inspiration from it?

1 Like

Now this is an impressive Marendar! I really love the skull-like head!

1 Like

The cohesiveness of the design is exactly why I draw my characters first before building them.and totally not because I lack the parts to build then at all

1 Like

@Barafu @DuneToa @Eilrach thank you all!

This phrase sums up the MOC’s theme so perfectly, I love it!

Thank you! I most certainly don’t mind. Although, if you end up sharing it, I would appreciate if you mentioned me.
Happy building!

@KanohiReqi thanks a lot!

Oh, this happened to me so many times! Sometimes I draw concept art for a future MOC just to realise that I basically don’t have any of the pieces I need to recreate it :laughing:

Nah, unfortunately it’s fake. There was no way I could include a working gear function in that upper torso with its crazy geometry.
Although, there is technically a gear function in the lower body. You can swivel the legs by rotating the “abdominal pistons”. It’s there mainly to add friction to the legs, but hey it’s something

10 Likes

It really reminds me a villian from certain french cartoon, Wakfu or smt like that.

2 Likes

Noximillion

1 Like

Can you please post the internals of this moc. I’m trying to make this beast of a marendar moc

1 Like

Huh, you aren’t the first one to notice that! This was actually completely unintentional as I had known nothing about this show when I built the MOC, but now I can certainly see the similarities with that Nox character.

That actually reminds me of something: I never really wrote about the inspirations for my Marendar MOC, so I’ll finally do it here.
There are quite many: some Angels from Evangelion, some Star Wars battle droid designs, Terminator, a Stand from Jojo’s Bizarre Adventures, old gas masks and the obligatory Sentinels from X-men. Oh and there is a reference to old Bionicle prototypes.

Oh, this sounds awesome! I’m glad that you like my Marendar MOC so much!

I’m planning on taking some breakdown pictures of this and some of my other contest-related MOCs pretty soon. I’ll tag you when I post them.

If you end up recreating it, I’ll be quite interested to see some pictures!

4 Likes

I like the way the ankles are stabilized. Very smart.

1 Like

that was initially the plan with mine but it just ended up not happening

1 Like

Hey there, NotAHFfan! You see, there’s this really cool contest going on right now (that allows pre-existing Mocs, by the way) that I think you would ABSOLUTELY enjoy!

i would really appreciate it if you entered

6 Likes

Alright, sounds good to me! I’ll enter it tomorrow, I need to get some sleep right now

6 Likes

very good

3 Likes

dudes goin’ win by a landside

2 Likes

Excellent the shaping on this smock is splendid.

3 Likes

Thanks for the typo, now I’m imagining Marendar in a dress

6 Likes

I wanted to do a bit of an update on my Marendar, so here we go.

This is a bit of an older build, I think it’s over two years old at this point, but despite that for a long time I have thought that it still holds up… mostly. I never really liked the lower leg design that I came up with, even back when I originally built this guy. I thought that it was kinda thin and gappy, didn’t have the best shaping in the world and those knees were way too flimsy and unreliable, and there wasn’t much that I could do back then because that joint was the only thing that had the functionality and dimensions I needed.
Well, recently it has come to my attention that the new ratchet joint parts (1, 2)often seen in the bigger modern Ninjago mechs (that didn’t exist when I built this thing) fit so perfectly in the existing design, it almost seems like they were created specifically to be used in this MOC (I actually remember wishing that something similar to these parts existed way back when I was building this MOC, and the part that I thought up was very similar to what Lego ended up putting out, which is a fun coincidence).
So that’s how I came up with the idea to give my Marendar some new lower legs and also clean up some other areas of the build in the process.

And, a few stud.io brainstorming sessions and bricklink orders later, this is what I ended up with

(One of the elbow spikes and the slizer feet on the lower legs are placeholders of the wrong colour because the proper ones weren’t available in any bricklink stores nearby. I’ll get them next time I order parts)

Comparison to the original

There are some minor colour changes all over the model, including the replacement of all red axles with black ones, and I filled in some unsightly gaps under the white shoulder panels that always bugged me, but the main event is of course the lower legs

I’m extremely pleased with this design, those knees and knee swivels are so incredibly stable and stiff, they are certainly not going anywhere any time soon.

I would like to give a big shout out to @Cordax for testing out my digital mockup of the leg design IRL before I ordered the parts to build it. Without you this update probably wouldn’t have happened

The thing I’m probably happy about the most is that despite all of the joints being very stiff and stable, there is still plenty of articulation, nothing is really unreasonably limited

And, for a good measure, here is a size comparison with my Helryx MOC , which is the closest thing to an Inika build scale wise that I have

In my opinion it’s a pretty decent scale for Marendar

Also, there is one last thing I wanted to talk about, which is kinda unrelated to Marendar, but still relevant because it has something to do with the bricklink order that I made to get the parts for it.
And that thing is modern Lego’s horrible quality control. One of the new mech joints I talked about came with a wall of extra plastic completely plugging up the pin hole in the middle of the piece, which prevented the part from being attached to just about anything, rendering it utterly useless.
Of course, I’ve been able to fix the part using a small knife, a screwdriver and a bit of patience, but the fact that I even had to go through that process is completely unacceptable in my opinion. If it had happened with a bootleg I wouldn’t mind, it’s actually something I would expect from a bootleg, but Lego is an expensive premium product, and its quality must match that standard.

The problem part in question

Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of it before I started working on rescuing this part, but that wall that I punched a hole through shouldn’t be there

So anyways, with that out the way, what do you all think of this build and the changes I’ve made?
I’m planning on entering it into the eventual Duckbricks Marendar contest, so I really want to know what people think of this design as a potential Marendar

12 Likes

I said the same thing to my wife about the drywall :goo:

man got his hands on a rare mismold and destroyed it?? :pensive: bruh

5 Likes

A rare mismold is something whimsical and goofy that you can use in a MOC in an interesting way :triumph:

This on the other hand is lame and embarrassing

6 Likes

No, a rare mismold is a mismold that is rare

A funny rare mismold is something whimsucal and goofy that you can use in a MOC in an interesting way :goo:

And believe me, pieces that molded wrong - especially older ones - can be worth quite a bit of money :smirk: although the piece you got is so new that I doubt it would’ve been worth that much maybe probably :pensive:

6 Likes