Marendar The Salvation of Doom

Hi everyone!

I decided to improve my design for the Death that Awaits, Marendar. The previous version’s head seemed to be a bit unpopular, being a bit blocky and simple. Marendar’s new head is much more interestingly shaped, and I went with a rarely seen ‘biclops’ placement for his eyes.

I also beefed him up a bit, particularly around his legs and traps. His hands were also redesigned, now allowing Marendar to wield six elements simultaneously, channeled through his hands and elemental blades. I also learned, unfortunately, he is very solidly built, accidentally putting his through the ‘drop test’, when I put him too close to the edge of my desk. Nothing came off, save for one of the flames.

Marendar has a few Bara Magna elements to tie him more closely to his native world, but I also included a few elements of other machines that the Toa have fought: I chose the Vahki staffs and Bohrok eyes and teeth to evoke this. However, I also added the giant gear in the back and chose specific Toa elements (the Metru breastplate, the Inika chest, and the Metru feet) to make him also resemble a Toa, adding to his paradoxical nature.

I hope you like him, and please leave your thoughts below!

35 Likes

I. Love. THis.

3 Likes

@MakutaOisli Thanks a lot! I’ve quite pleased with him.

4 Likes

Woah this moc looks amazing!!! The armor shaping and design are really great, I like your idea of taking from preexisting designs, like the Vahki. Colors are good and the elemental effects are quite nice. Superb job here.

4 Likes

@Rukah Thank you very much! If you’ll forgive the little ramble, ever since I learned that certain GB concept designs (like the Rahkshi) were passed to MU inhabitants as part of their original programming, I’ve had this notion that perhaps the rough ideas for things like Krahli, Vahki, etc., were buried in Nuparu’s brain, so it might fit in story-wise that Vahki might have had Marendar influence, not the other way around. Glad you like him! Your feedback is always appreciated.

4 Likes

this is awesome

5 Likes

@Rhyla416 Thanks a lot! Lots of work went into this one, so I appreciate the positive feedback.

5 Likes

Love how he’s “wielding” the elements

5 Likes

@Eilrach Thank you! I had the green and blue one, and several red flames, and thought this would be the perfect way to use them. Glad you like him!

4 Likes

I love how greebled he is. Great moc.

5 Likes

Looks great. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Enbeanie @Eddan960 Thank you both!

@Enbeanie I did have fun greebling. That’s the NCS builder in me flexing his muscles in BIONICLE mocs.

4 Likes

Yes. This is what I would imagine them looking like.

4 Likes

@Droconis Thanks a lot for the praise! I reworked the heck out of his head, because I was satisfied with the first attempt, and I think this fits the theme of terrifying machine without falling into straight up evil character. Glad you like my Marendar!

4 Likes

woah that is a very alien looking face.

4 Likes

@Willess12 Good observation! I wanted him to have a very ‘other’ face, something that doesn’t belong.

2 Likes