Mata May Daily Toa

About a year ago I was inspired to make MOCs based on the Mata build, including unusual color schemes and new/combination elements. I received further inspiration from the Youtube channel Nuparu’s Workshop https://www.youtube.com/@nuparusworkshop2615 and the release of the 2000 Bionicle Story Bible and its elaboration of the original mythic version of the story. Most of my builds aren’t as inventive in build and story as others will be.

Day 1: Ramankau

Legend: Ramankau is the spirit of forests, whose trees reach into the domain of Lewa. Unlike Lewa, Ramankau respects the water spirit Gali, for his trees depend on her rain to thrive. He is honored by the Matoran for allowing his trees to be chopped and used for fuel, tools, and building materials.

The Matoran must give proper respect to Ramankau and his gifts, for if they cut too many trees or waste what they’ve harvested he will send rot or forest fires to take away what he has given.

Some believe this judgement was brought upon the inhabitants of Ta-Wahi, creating the Charred Forest, while the Ta-Matoran insist Ramankau encroached on the territory of Mangai and was beaten back by the fire spirit.

Ramankau is a Toa of plantlife adapted to control and live in forests. Like Lewa, Ramankau is most at home in the trees, moving across branches with great speed and agility. His large, dexterous hands provide a firm grip even in strong winds. He carries no tools, making use instead of his great fists or taking nearby branches and reforming them for particular purposes. With his Kanohi Hau, the great mask of shielding, he charges through dense foliage without harm.

On land Ramankau is unsteady on his feet, reaching out to anything or anyone nearby for support or taking a gorilla-like stance. He is displeased with those who carelessly strip bark or tearing branch, though he himself does these things with little thought.

StudIO will be heavily utilized in this series on account of me lacking many of the recolors of the Mata and Turaga masks. Here I have made a change to the feet and color-corrected a finger. Ramankau’s name is derived from the Māori words for tree top. This was the first of my series of Mata builds.

Day 2: Kapiri

Kapiri is a Toa of magnetism. That’s all I’ve got. I forgot to mention but most of my digital builds were deliberately designed to use parts in existing colors.

24 Likes

I really like these so far, it is always cool to see different mata builds.

6 Likes

toa of corn…?

3 Likes

Day 3: Pacanu

A Toa of plasma whose preferred fighting style is charging in swinging with plasma-encapsulated fists. I don’t remember if I had any idea in mind for this color scheme or if I was just doing something different.

Day 4: Lydol

Ninjago Lloyd as a Toa of energy.

G R E E N

9 Likes

Ah yes my favorite element

The green stuff

3 Likes

Day 5: Motara

Motara is a Toa of heat who the island of Mata Nui’s Motara Desert was named after. In legends he is responsible for afflicting intense heat on travelers of his domain and creating mirages, producing a more malevolent reputation than many of the spirits. Po-Matoran belief is divided on whether he is a defender of their land or an attacker sent by Tahu. Based on Motara’s use of heat, the Ta-Matoran conclude he wages war on their behalf in retaliation for some past grievance the Po-Matoran committed.

Day 6: Anawi

A Toa of water equipped for cave environments with a mask of night vision, heavy boots, digging claws, and a pressurized water jet.

I haven’t been able to bend tubes in StudIO, the other end should plug into the backpack axle.

Day 7: Rapuke

A Toa of black ice (ice + earth combo). The club should have the G2 crystal spikes in trans brown, but StudIO unfortunately doesn’t have them.

Day 8: Aurak

A Toa of fire and part of an order of Toa knights.

Day 9: Atay

A Toa of plasma with a speed-focused combat style.

Day 10: Cebel

A Toa of sonics.

Day 11: Thozan

A Toa of coral. One of a couple of builds where my main technique was sticking as many things on it as I relatively cohesively could.

Day 12: Toku

My Bionicle version of the Throwbot Granite as a Toa of stone. Has modified gear setup to move both arms the same direction I came up with independantly from seeing Nuparu’s Workshop do it.

Day 13: Yetai

A Toa of poison.

Day 14: Gunja

The earth member of an order of Toa knights.

Day 15: Beract

A Toa of plantlife specialized in cacti.

Bonus version with non-purist recolor.

Day 16: Ramari

Ramari was a Toa of fire and part of a Toa team located in a city of similar technological advancement to Metru Nui. The circumstances of his creation are unclear, though it seems it was in conjunction with several members of his team and a few others, but his unusual construction has led less kind beings to consider him deformed. His perfectionist team leader, Cytohu, was particularly harsh over his perceived lesser ability. Ramari thus had extreme anger towards everything and displayed destructive tendencies, though Cytohu’s influence kept him in line around his teammates. One of his signature styles of attack was forcefully hurling anything in his view at his targets with his Kanohi Matatu. Ramari was presumably killed during the Great Cataclysm, though he is rumored to still be alive, plotting revenge against Cytohu and all who tormented him.

Ramari (Torch) 2
This model is based on the Throwbot Torch. The misprint Matatu is a bit of a stretch for purism, but I considered it the best fit for the look I was going for.

What do you think of this series so far? Which ones have stood out to you?

Day 17: Waire

Waire is a Toa of glass (fire+stone combo). His tool is based off blowpipes used in glassmaking.

Day 18: Satihu

A ninja-like Toa of gravity with an attempt at a chained weapon using 2001-era parts.

12 Likes

These are looking great.
I love all the different designs

4 Likes

Day 19: Vogiwa and Awaru

These Toa were the Great Beings’ early work in creating the element of lightning by combining air and water. They possess the unique element of Storm, a mixture of those three standard elements. Awaru’s power focuses on air in contrast with Vogiwa’s water. Numerous legends of these two are told on the island of Mata Nui. A common component is they were born from Gali and Lewa’s clashes. Awaru is spirited and energetic, burning brightly before quickly tiring. Vogiwa is fiercer and charges up her anger and power, prolonging her attacks.

Vogiwa is considered the older of the Toa of Storm, representing water and air combined in disunity. She is a chaotic force responsible for sending hurricanes to Mata Nui and making sea travel treacherous with storms. Turaga Nokama warns the Ga-Matoran of Vogiwa to prevent them from sailing too far from the island and becoming lost in the endless sea. In some tales, Vogiwa draws power from her parent’s conflict. Fearing the legend of their cooperation against Makuta, she works to keep them fighting each other in hopes of preventing her brother, Awaru, from being born. She is characterized by anger, spite, and a love of discord.

Awaru is the younger Toa of Storm, representing air and water combined in unity. Whether he is yet to be born or the twin of Vogiwa, he fights his sister over the unity of their parents, wishing to keep them in cooperation. Awaru causes thunderstorms over the island. He is chaotic like his sister, but more adventurous and enthusiastic, recklessly charging in with greater energy than his counterpart.

Awaru was the second Toa in this series I came up with, as the combo of air and water readily came to mind. Vogiwa was added a short while later as an expansion of the mythos inspired by the storm serpent Wojira from Ninjago.

Day 20: Red gravity Toa/Barionk Mata version(?)

In trying to think of a different way to color a Toa of gravity I ended up inspired by/just copying one of Scotttjt’s MOCs.

Day 21: Tugara

Tugara was created as the second Toa of psionics. Her staff can fire energy blasts and aid in recharging her elemental energy. Her Kanohi Miru suits an above-everyone mindset.

Day 22: Haruko

A Toa of ice equipped for frigid depths with Kanohi Kaukau and spiked hammers.

Day 23: Zohiko

A Toa of plasma from Ramari and Cytohu’s team who is typically utilized to patrol the skies of their city. Cold and Ill-spirited, his unscrupulous nature suits Cytohu’s ends well.

Another Mata-adapted Throwbot, Flare this time.

Day 24: Rotanu

A Toa of earth who operates primarily in deep aquifers.

This is one of my earliest builds, but only finalized today.

Day 25: Pakauway Nui

Pakauway Nui is known as the Toa of the seashore, a guardian of the island of Mata Nui’s borders. She holds back the worst of Vogiwa’s typhoons and guides boats back safely to land. She is also considered the mother of the Toa Mata and the one who herded their canisters from the endless sea to Mata Nui. It is unlikely Pakauway Nui exists outside of Matoran myth as a regular Toa.

Another early idea of mine, inspired by Gali’s line from MNOG, “The sea bears life. The sea bore us.”

Day 26: Rituk

Rituk was a Toa of iron who served alongside Ramari and Zohiko. He was different from most of the other members of his team in his belief in the Toa Code. He struggled to keep his dysfunctional teammates cooperative and earn the trust of the Matoran he was protecting. Rituk resisted Cytohu’s conditioning, and so he found himself alone when the Brotherhood of Makuta began their purge of Toa of iron.

Built around the copper Huna and envisioned as the one student in the group project actually trying to complete it and keep everyone else focused.

Day 27: Terekar

A Toa of kinetic energy and member of the Toa Vaheki. He is Cytohu’s most dedicated agent, shaped after centuries of his leader’s influence to carry out a view of justice as swift and forceful as his powers.

For a long time I couldn’t figure out what element to give the Throwbot Turbo that would fit in with an urban environment besides just speed like Ninjago, but I eventually decided on the show’s much more recent power of motion.

Day 28: Humolt

A Toa of magma (fire+stone combo) who lives within the Mangai volcano. The gear function is used to toss boulders, and the grey foot should be brown.

Day 29: Agrune

Agrune is a Toa of concrete (adapted stone) and member of the Toa Vaheki, armed with twin pick-hammers. She did not share the destructive and hostile ways of most of her brothers, but unlike Rituk she kept quiet and followed along. She witnessed the city’s Turaga clash with Cytohu over his increasingly extreme actions and ideology; her teammate Narurag, a Toa of lightning, succumb to madness from Hordika venom before being put down by Ramari; Rituk’s disappearance. When the Great Cataclysm hit, Agrune took the opportunity to vanish, intending to leave Vaheki behind.
When she came across Rituk’s Huna outside the city she felt shame for standing by while her team’s “protection” drove the Matoran they were meant to serve to fear. Taking the Kanohi of her true brother in place of her original, Agrune returned to Vaheki, resolved to uncover the true extent of Cytohu’s manipulations and the nature of Rituk’s death. Having learned much, including the purge of Toa of iron, She remains in hiding, trying to help the Matoran however she can and working on how to stop Cytohu.

Day 30: Whekowa

The Toa of space, who may only exist in legend.

Bonus render.

Day 31: Cytohu

Cytohu is a rare Toa of technology who was assigned to the city of Vaheki. The technology element (prefix Cy) has a similar minimal level of control over beings’ mechanical components as a mask of biomechanics, but allows greater enhancement of the user as well as wider control, creation, and manipulation of machinery, which is increased with the user’s understanding of the components or machines themselves.

Cytohu ended up taking charge of the Toa Vaheki as the team was formed. He is a perfectionist who takes his duty seriously. He does not tolerate inefficiencies. Cytohu wears a controlling personality like his Kanohi Komau, which he frequently uses to guide his teammates how he sees fit, wrest confessions from lawbreakers, or disable enemies. His most frequently used tools are twin tech blades, disk launchers, and a rotor pack.

Over time, Cytohu became increasingly extreme in his methods of maintaining law and order, considering the Toa Code and eventually the law itself a hindrance to justice, and clashed with Vaheki’s Turaga. Cytohu’s means were not without some benefit; for instance, his team managed to keep away the Visorak horde, but not before one of his own, Narurag, fell victim of Hordika venom. When Narurag’s loss to animalism became complete, Cytohu deemed him unfit to keep alive and allowed Ramari to kill him. Rituk, Toa of iron, was sold out to the Makuta for the city’s safety. Cytohu took it upon himself to lead Vaheki when the Turaga “disappeared” in the Great Cataclysm.

Screenshot 2023-10-31 175922
Cytohu believes in dispensing his idea of justice as quickly as possible alongside his remaining loyal teammates, Zohiko and Terekar. He frequently patrols the city watching for threats outside and in, and his reputation for swift personal arbitration has given him the nickname “Judge”. Cytohu has only become more obsessive as the centuries passed, becoming indignant towards Mata Nui himself for not keeping order in his world. It is only a matter of time before he carries his ideals beyond the city he keeps as his assignment…

This was another early build of mine, hence the more detailed description. Being based off Throwbot Jet, his backstory and personality were built around the Komau, the only yellow mask besides the Hau I already used, and the Slizer name Judge.

And that’s it! For once I’ve thought up a project and then made the effort to see it through to completion, a problem since my time on MOCpages. Which ones were your favorites?

6 Likes

These were great fun to keep up with through the month, love the variety that can still be achieved with the limited part selection.
Ramankau and Humolt were my personal favorites of the bunch!

2 Likes