Metal Gear Rex

Here is Metal Gear Rex. I built it using parts from the Lego power miners theme, hence the orange and lime green.

Metal Gear is a nuclear equipped bipedal tank, from the series called… get this: Metal Gear. Now I’m not too familiar with the Metal Gear series but since it is

1. A series that spans decades
  2. Obtuse when it comes to story
  3. Sci-fi, with anime mechs

The similarities to another series I like, ahem, bionicle, probably explain my interest in it.

I started this build almost 2 years ago, but never finished it, with only the head and legs built. Until this week when I decided to complete it. My original intent was to make Metal Gear Sahalanthropus, but I am running low on pieces and this thing is already unstable as it is. In terms of accuracy I wasn’t too concerned about a lot of the details, just the more recognizable parts like the head. It could probably use a bit of reworking to make it more stable and more model accurate, but for now this is how it is. For reference here is a picture of the actual Metal Gear.

Here are some other poses for the moc:

Break down of parts:

Head:

Body:

Legs:

Rail Gun:

If you want to take a deep dive into the lore here is the wiki:

42 Likes

I dont know nothin about the metal gear series but OOH she’s purdy.
I love how you translated the original into LEGO, this is really well done :+1:

8 Likes

I think you should add a bit more orange, but otherwise, this is very nice!

3 Likes

I thought it looked good on first viewing, then you showed the source material and wow, you really got the proportions down!

5 Likes

truly a weapon to surpass metal gear…waaait

6 Likes

Yes the weapon to surpass metal gear is… another metal gear, or maybe its a parasite? or is it a computer program? Whatever it takes to fuel that thirst for revenge.

a bit more orange

Yeah that could look good. Perhaps I could redo the radar dish with orange, and add some on the rail gun. To me the radar dish looks a bit plain, so maybe that could spice it up a bit.Thanks for the suggestion

5 Likes

This looks unbelievably good.

Very accurate while at the same time just a bit better than the original.

3 Likes

Im a huge fan of metal gear and the old mining based lego system themes like power miners and rock raiders.

This incorporates the theme of power miners perfectly into metal gear rex, im kind of thinking of this like a an alternate skin if rex was in a robot fighting game.

Combination of technic and system here live in perfect harmony.

Great MOC!

6 Likes

This is just absolutely amazing! I especially enjoy looking at the body and leg designs. They remind me of builds from the LEGO Ideas Book series, with their use of common parts in non-standard arrangements that can be easily replicated and modified. A truly good design.

1 Like

Like a power miners version of Rex.
I love it. Rex is my favourite Metal Gear by far and you made it look amazing.

1 Like