Moctober Week Three: Toa Mohavo

I’m a little late to post this (by which I mean three days late) but who cares. I wasn’t quite able to finish my third Moctober moc by the end of the third week, but I’ve finished him now, so you’ll just get two mocs this week.

Species: Toa (mutated)
Element: Stone
Kanohi: None
Weapon(s): None
Abilities: Control over stone; Extreme resilience to desert conditions
Affiliation(s): Makuta Girin’s Toa Hagah

Movaho was a Toa of Stone hailing from a desert village of Matoran. Theirs was a harsh existence, living in the exact center of a vast sea of sand and heat. By far, their little town was the most remote anywhere. The only reason they could survive at all was due to an underground aquifer which supplied them with the necessary water to drink and water their crops. Although the town was completely isolated, and life was a constant struggle against the environment, the Matoran were able to eke out a living thanks to the leadership of their single Toa.

That all changed when the aquifer was used up. With no more water, the villagers could not sustain themselves. As the drought led to famine and death, Toa Mohavo tried desperately to find a solution. He dispatched a caravan to search for help, but they never returned. After four days of waiting, the Toa decided to go himself. After days of wandering aimlessly through the scorching sun and frigid nights, his legs gave out and he fell. Death had not claimed him - not yet, at least - but his life was quickly fading. That was when a scarlet specter appeared to him. He offered the Toa strength and life, but Mohavo declined. All he wanted was for his village to survive. After laughing a bit at the Toa’s noble heart, the specter agreed. The village’s aquifer would be refilled, and all Mohavo would need to do is pledge his soul to the Nightmare King. Not seeing any other options, Mohavo agreed.

Although nothing changed for Mohavo himself, his village saw six months’ worth of steady rainfall, practically drowning the entire town until the aquifer had been filled. Mohavo, though, wasted away in the desert, his biological parts decaying while wind and sand stripped most of his mechanical parts away. That left only his bones, which were steadily bleached by sunlight. While his body eroded and his village was inundated, Mohavo’s soul was trapped in the Underplane. After one hundred years of torment, the Nightmare King decided to do something even more twisted.

A simple use of mutagen twisted the Toa’s old body into the Hordika-esque creature you see before you. Girin animated the beast with a thirst for blood and an unceasing loyalty to himself. Finally, he trapped Mohavo’s soul in the monster’s body and set it to hunt down the villagers one by one. Mohavo could only watch, a prisoner in his own bones and ragged machinery, as he slayed any helpless Matoran who strayed too far from the city center.

“Why?” he had asked Girin. “You promised to save my village!”

“And so I have. I am a Makuta of my word, after all. But I never promised every villager would survive,” the King had replied.

The thing that was once Mohavo stalked the village, picking off those closest to the edge and never venturing far into the city. He stayed just far enough, and killed just few enough that he became legend. A monster spoken of around campfires in hushed whispers. Eventually, Girin called Mohavo away to terrorize other secluded towns in harsh locations. But still, any time a Matoran from his home village strayed too far, he would be there to keep his reputation.

This (technically last) week’s prompt involved building a custom head. Originally I was going to make a Frankenstein-esque build with a wide, flat-topped head, but I ended up deciding on building a Wendigo-inspired moc instead. The head was pretty difficult to figure out, but I really like what I ended up with. Here’s a close-up:

“Its eyes… they burn with a fire from the depths of Karzahni. But its pupils? Oh, they’re dead. White as its bones. Milky, like water mixed with clay.”

Only one Moctober build left, and then we’ll finally be finished. But what is waiting for us at the end? Only one way to find out.

21 Likes

Wendigos don’t look like that. They’re simply people who dies from frost and came back as cannibals. I don’t know where people got the idea that it wore a deer skull or had long limbs

3 Likes

Huh, interesting. According to Wikipedia, it stemmed from the mixing of the wendigo myth with the werewolf myth, thus making wendigos more “animalistic” in the eyes of Europeans. Now after reading up on actual wendigos, they seem to be an incredibly cool and creepy concept.

1 Like

Bionicles don’t have bones

Ooh this moc looks pretty creepy. Backstory is great, and the build’s skeletal appearance and head are good for an ominous, twisted character like this one. nice job.

3 Likes

what a skinny deer-man-thing

well done

2 Likes

i love it!
great and creepy backstory

2 Likes

Very spooky

I love it :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes