Modding VNOG

(I couldn’t find a general VNOG topic - if there is one, feel free to merge this post with it).

So I’ve been experimenting with trying to mod VNOG using a free flash decompiler. There’s a ton of unfinished/hastily completed stuff in the game code that could be easily implemented, and the game could use a good re-balancing, too.

However, Flash is tricky to mod. :stuck_out_tongue:

Does anyone have any experience with this? One of the things I’d really like to do in particular is expand upon the soundtrack (I’ve figured out how to get it to use other musics, but given the length of the game I’d like to find a way to get it using more than two different tracks - whether that be determined by chapter, area, or at random).

4 Likes

Huh, well this is an interesting thought. Unfortunately I have no experience with programming or game-making, so I can’t really add anything here. I’ll be keeping an eye on this, though, to see if anything comes of it…

2 Likes

Currently my “music” solution is to create an enormously bloated .swf with the entire Bionicle Heroes soundtrack, and then just close/reopen the game and swap in different text file instructions when I need a change of music. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s also possible to make “GUI” actions that trigger sfx - so equipping items, opening the map, etc - trigger a soundtrack change instead. But it’s slightly buggy, because it’s kind of just piggybacking on the UI code - meaning the click noises will go away, and repeating the action will cause the track to loop from the beginning, which is annoying.

I remember a while back some other discoveries I made include:

• Complete list of which enemies have what stats/exp rewards/movesets
  • Avak had a cancelled “prison” power (it doesn’t work, but it’s labelled something like that in the code)
  • There is a way to force the “player” hero to walk in the diagonal-only movement that enemies do, meaning that reskin cheats don’t have the “flickering sprite” effect anymore.
  • Hoto bugs exist beyond just a sprite - you can spawn them in as (functional? I think so) enemies.

Oh and also, I did a complete Rahi census of the island and logged all their spawn points - that was done manually, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes