Monopoly’s Reviews: 8959 Claw Digger

uh

I guess I forgot about this for 7 months

better late than never

Time to continue with my Power Miners reviews, then! This time we’re finally out of the small sets with our first substantial build, the Claw Digger.

We’ll start, as usual, with the figures.

This set, like the others before it, contains two figures, a Power Miner and a Rock Monster, in this case Rex and Sulfurix.

Rex is the Power Miners’ top engineer, having designed most of their vehicles himself. He has a rivalry with the Firox as they constantly sabotage his machines. Rex’s figure, while initially seeming identical to previous miners aside from his face, actually introduces a new torso piece - if you look closely, the drill symbol from before has been replaced with a bomb, indicating his role as a demolitions expert.

His alternate face, as with the other miners, is hilarious.

Sulfurix is the first Rock Monster we’ve already seen before, appearing in the 2008 promotional pack. This version is identical to its previous appearance, and as such retains all the same functionality.

As such, he can eat up crystals, although unlike the promotional pack this set actually provides a few of them.

The size increase from the Granite Grinder to the Claw Digger is insane. Despite only containing about 100 more pieces than the previous set, the Claw Digger is surprisingly large, while also being very robust and sturdy.

From the front, we can see the operator’s cabin and front scoop, but undoubtedly the most notable parts are the massive digging arms, constructed from Technic beams with a couple of Mahritoran daggers on the end. Unlike other larger sets, the Claw Digger doesn’t have a gear function, instead relying on the orange knobs at the side to allow you to manually raise and lower the arms. This motion is surprisingly powerful, and incredibly fun to do.

When raised fully, the arms rest on two stoppers either side of the vehicle, making sure they don’t interfere with the wheels.

The front bucket can be lowered down to the ground to collect crystals as the vehicle drives along, although this doesn’t work perfectly - the angled nature of the bucket piece means the crystals will often just get pushed along and not actually enter the bucket.

Once the crystals have been collected, the bucket can be raised for safe transport and protection from Rock Monsters.

From the side, we can see more details of the machine, including a pair of floodlights either side of the cabin and a massive engine block.

A lot of detail is packed into this engine, including tap pieces, Technic wheels and radar dishes. It looks suitably powerful, and definitely big enough to keep the vehicle running.

Around the back, there is storage for some mining equipment, in this case a bundle of dynamite and a circular saw.

More tool storage is found around the front, with a pickaxe kept between the floodlights. A stickered fuel cap is also present here, right in front of the engine. The driver’s roll cage can hinge forward for entry and exit, while the cabin itself features a white seat, two control levers (presumably one for each digging arm) and a tunnel-mapping screen.

Well, that’s it for the set itself. Onto the pricing.

The Claw Digger retailed for £15.99, which I feel is a very reasonable price for the substantial size and great play value of the set. It’s current value is £14, providing even greater value.

Overall, this set is pretty good, but nothing special. It’s a very cool, very fun set but I feel it’s overshadowed by everything else Power Miners has to offer. The lack of a gear function is particularly noticeable, especially since the Granite Grinder, the set in the price bracket below, did have one. It’s absolutely not an essential purchase, but if you like Power Miners it’s a nice one to have. 7/10.

18 Likes

Man… this brings back so many memories!

As a kid Power Miners was my second favourite Lego theme after Bionicle, and this set in particular was easily my favourite one in the entire line. There’s just something so satisfying and fun in its simple and elegant function. I still remember having so much fun while playing with this set!

Maybe I’m biased, but I still think that PM is Lego’s best theme… well, apart from Bionicle obviously. All the sets had amazing play features and distinct, memorable cohesive designs. Also, the prices were great: in every set you got a lot of stuff for a very reasonable price. So yeah, this theme is leagues better than the stuff Lego produces nowadays

Thank you very much for making me nostalgic with this review!

9 Likes

Don’t worry, there’s more on the way

I’m planning to review every set, including the watch and polybags, as well as every combination model and alternate build

I’ll be reviewing the Thunder Driller next

4 Likes

Wouldn’t happen to be because of a certain war, would it?

Glad to see these are back, and looking forward to more

4 Likes

ah yes, the power miners reviews are back!

This set looks pretty cool, the mining arms give it quite a unique look. Nice review Monopoly!

ooh can’t wait!

2 Likes

I’ve always found it kind of weird that this set doesn’t have an automatic function. It would have been super easy to just have some cams on the front axles to make the arms go up and down as you drive (You could still keep the manual actuation as well, too).

5 Likes

definitely a stand out of power miners was how detailed the engines were, good to see these reviews back

3 Likes

Not gonna lie, the Claw Digger is probably my favorite Power Miners set. It was impressively large for its price and I love the engine detailing. It would be a huge pain for me to reassemble it from all the scattered pieces I have, but might be worth it…

3 Likes

Did you notice an error in the instructions of this set?

I was just browsing through the digital instructions on the Lego website, and I noticed this:

The callout is for two 2x2 bricks, but only one is attached in the step. Do your physical instructions have the same error?

3 Likes

Yep, the physical instructions have the exact same error. Can’t believe I’ve never noticed that before.

2 Likes

I always really wanted this set when I was a wee lad, perhaps I’ll pick it up off of bricklink one day.

3 Likes