My artwork for Artakha's contest (Bionicle Canon Contest #2: Meet The Maker, Part 2 (Art))

I’m not sure but, do mask can have different colors in the artwork, or it should be a solid one (independently of the color)?

Neat design, very Eldritch.

I am 99% sure that the mask can be multiple colours in the Art, and those colours can be any colours.

This looks almost nothing like the original moc.

2 Likes

I agree, it is a cool drawing and concept but does not resemble the original moc.

2 Likes

Scared the living Avohkah out of me when he blinked. :stuck_out_tongue:

To all the people saying this doesn’t resemble the original/is grounds for a DQ - go back and look over the Helryx contest, which had way more styllised entries than this.

It adds some small gold highlights, cloth, and a tail. The rest of it is very clearly a depiction of the winning build, albeit styllised. The colour balance is in all the appropriate places, and while the exact shaping of pieces varies they’re still clearly based off the build. I’d argue the pose also makes it look a bit different, but I’m not seeing anything that’s infringing on the rules here.The only thing that maybe brings a question mark to me is the tail.

2 Likes

I agree that it’s an interpretation, so it shouldn’t have problems, but the tail is a no no. That is an important change in the MOC, not just an interpretation.

I also kept looking the image because I wasn’t sure if it was moving :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Stegosaurus tail? That’s new

1 Like

Alright so I have some unfortunate news.

Sadly I’m going to have to DQ this entry, specifically as it’s in violation of Rule 4e of the contests:

Now, this was a rule that was well known prior to the contests but in the process of preparing this post I realized that it wasn’t actually in the ruleset for this contest. As such, I do hope that you’ll take the opportunity afforded by the next 2 weeks of the entry period to modify this piece to be closer to the MoC - removal of the tail should be enough to comply with the rule.

If you have any questions, please feel free to DM me or reply here and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks,
~Hawkeye

8 Likes

The stylization is not a problem. There is no requirement that any part of the Art be recognizable as Lego parts.

The cloth is also fine. The original MOC has a cape, and this just expands on it.

The gold is starting to get a little far from the MOC, but it’s small enough that it could maybe be allowed.

But a tail? That goes way beyond stylization.

There was no Helryx Art that even came close to this level of deviation from the MOC. At least none that weren’t DQ’d

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess the tail is a fair complaint. Hopefully they re-enter without it, though.

1 Like

Being that my real life last name is Eldritch, I approve of these messages.

Eldritch - adjective - Ghostly, sinister, or weird

3 Likes

I very dearly hope that this is resubmitted without the tail. It’s probably not going to be my top vote, but it’s a wonderful stylization and I love how the mask (and the overall artwork) seems to invoke Asian themes in keeping with BIONICLE’s Polynesian origins.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I have no desire to edit the drawing.

Since it was a genuine mistake in the rules (And let’s not bring the argument that “This rule was on the Helryx contest”, Artakha is not a Toa, theoretically he would even have wings, like Makuta, for example)
Also, the absence of a tail ruins the whole image, because he was drawn like this from the very beginning:

looks nothing like the original
how is this in any way based on the winning moc?

3 Likes

I hate that you won’t do an update. So far this one has really stuck me because of how unique it is. The tail is neat, but it’s not the focal point and it wouldn’t take make from your creation if removed.

2 Likes

I frankly do not like the option without a tail. There are broken proportions and silhouette.

3 Likes

Frankly, why did you add the tail to the base model at first, if the actual moc doesn’t have one? Saying that Artakha is not a Toa, and he could have had a tail and wings is incorrect, if the winning moc doesn’t have those things, than the artworks shall not have them too. It’s not an ornate cape, that cannot be found in a lego set, it’s pretty simple to moc up wings and tails for the mocs. But Artakha was never described to have either, and neither have the moc, that every artwork of the 2nd portion must be based on, it’s not optional to add them or not, no matter what the rules say.

9 Likes

His legs do seem kind of thin now. However, adding just a little extra beefing to them could go a long way. I don’t think he looks bad without the tail though; Don’t be discouraged.

You have just under two weeks to resubmit! And, while I obviously can’t make you rework your art, I think it’d be worth it!

4 Likes

Gotta love the animations on the eyes. Honestly a really strong design!