My Toa Hagah Entry!!! (Bionicle Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2)

I would’ve preferred metallic blue for Pouks and Kualus (without it, the gold characters standout from everyone else imo), but the artwork is well done nonetheless.

The background and blue linework give it a very unique and interesting look, Good luck!

1 Like

Things I’m not wild about:
Gaaki and Iruini are turned away
Pouks’ Kakama
Thinness of the spear handles

Things I’m wild about:
■■■■ near everything else. It’s vibrant; clean lines; dynamic posing; the background/presentation is unlike anything else in Bionicle but simple enough to not be distracting, and sets the status of these Toa apart from others.

This’ll be in the final poll no doubt!

2 Likes

If I’m being honest, it being full of little mistakes is a major takeaway from the rest of the piece. This is the depiction that gets to become canon; little details matter a lot to the voter when we’re talking about 100% canon material. Now’s the time, if you choose to, to make edits and adjustments to improve your chances.

Outside of the errors, this is a very clean artstyle that fits the characters very well. My only non-error complaint is that Bomonga is posed near identical to his entry image, while all the other Toa are in more dynamic poses.

7 Likes

This will probably end up getting my vote. I really like the style, shading, and the outlines that make this all come together, so with that said, I wish you luck!

1 Like

I was being hyperbolic when I say full of little mistakes, but if you see anything else wrong I’m happy to look into them.

Ultimately bamonga’s leg doesn’t bother me that much, although I try to stay faithful to the mocs a lot of the pieces need to be in impossible position in favor of the overall poses of the characters. I don’t think a leg that’s not connected well look that out of place in the midst of squished leg pieces and unrealistically bent arms.

2 Likes

This is incredible!! I adore the art style, while its not very bionicle, as an artist myself I’m definitely voting for this when the time comes.
A few notes however:
-As stated in one of the comments, Gaaki’s mask is not exactly what the designer thought was best and I think that a much better design for it would be the one used in this entry: Toa Hagah, the Elite Guard (Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard)
-Second, I noticed that you changed Pouks’ spear tip to the Deckar and Defilak blade from the Mahri era, I think it works fine but maybe the convenience of the previous spear tip actually existing in gun-metal grey would make it a more suitable choice?

Aside from that, I love it, even without those tweaks its still amazing

4 Likes

thank you, I am thinking of changing the mask but is that mask free for artists to use?
EDIT: oh that’s a bootleg design, cool ill definitely consider it:)

the thing is, there aren’t many gun-metal weapon pieces that I am aware of, do you have anything in mind?

1 Like

Here’s some from Avak, Lewa, and Cragger. Use whatever you want though
53578 19089 11338-5

6 Likes

I made some modifications. Thanks @Kodiak @Rabidsofa @KanohiReqi for your suggestions:)

3 Likes

Nice mask you designed. It’s a nice blend between the two

2 Likes

Yes of course! You could use the spear tip from the original design by Kodiak which (i believe) uses a piece from “Black Phantom” from Hero Factory.

Edit: just realised kodiak himself is here lmao,
nice MOC dude

3 Likes

This is my favorite so far, quite a fan of the comic book-esque style.

3 Likes

At least now, this is my favorite!! :grinning: :grinning: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

Well done overall! I wish Kualus could stay blue but it’s not a dealbreaker for me. Really love the detail, I can tell you worked really hard on this!

5 Likes

This is a very impressive fan art. I really loved the posing and the drawing style of the Hagah. I hope this gets into the polls!

1 Like

@Kodiak What are your thoughts about the knights kingdom spiked ball being Pouks spear tip? I feel like the spike ball hanging from the chain compliments the spiky shoulder armor more, being a Toa of stone :thinking:

3 Likes

I don’t want to tell people what to do so if someone wants to change it, more power to them. However, as much as I like the mace conceptually, the OG spear and the one picked by OP are more practical.

1 Like

I respect where you’re coming from. The concept is intriguing indeed, and the spear tip from the art entries are good. I think the Cragger piece in this entry is the most complimentary to the armor and metal color. Kudos to @JustinArtCheng! I’m routing for you!

1 Like

thanks my guy:)

1 Like

This submission is definitely my favourite one I’ve seen, truly amazing work! Even if it doesn’t win these are the Hagah that are cemented in my mind and have inspired the colours for this lot.

Best of luck!

4 Likes