Mystery of Tahu's chin

Ok, so here is a detail that has bugged me since 2001 and only now 20 years later do I speak about it.

In Tahu Mata’s promotional movie there are three small dimples on both sides of his chin:

These appear to be smaller versions of what is actually present on the pieces, but real mata heads bear only one bigger depression:

So why is this different in Tahu cinematic? The only thing I can think of is that this was the prototype piece for Mata head and the one in the movie is a leftover from that era.
We have seen other examples of leftover prototype pieces in various material, such as prototype masks in Legend of Mata Nui or Prototype Squid launchers in Barraki product page animations.

Does anybody know if this is the same case? Or any other explanation?
I want this 20 yer old mystery solved!

18 Likes

That’s clearly his manly stubble.

22 Likes

Chins are not canon.

7 Likes

Promos are often made before the product is complete, probably based on an earlier version of the mold.

3 Likes

I had no idea I was a mata head this whole time /s

Your first guess is the likeliest; it was probably just an early concept that got redesigned when it came to production. Considering how accurate the rest of the model is, it’s doubtful it was an error and was in fact the second to final iteration before pieces were actually molded.

also those two images in conjunction are such a reaction image

17 Likes

I wonder if there is (or was) some physical prototype version of this mata head produced, or if this only ever existed in digital form…

The timeline is strange because prototype Hau is in Legend of Mat Nui, but not here in Tahu video. On the other hand, the heads are normal in LoMN, but triple-holed in Tahu video.

Prototype Hau?

2 Likes

Yes, all the Hau’s in LoMN have the rectangle depression on forehead where code used to be in prototype Hau molds.

Then I would suggest this: The single depression mata head is the original design.

The triple depression chin head mold was designed after the fact, and was used in the advert, but a last minute decision was made to use the older single depression mold instead. Why this decision would have been made I have no idea; possibly some difficulty in mass production with that amount of smaller depressions or perhaps a control group preferred the original over the three depression iteration.

1 Like

Here is what I meant in LoMN:

prototype Hau
LoMN chin

That explanation sounds complicated, but its true small details like this are reworked every time even last minute, so perhaps something like that occured.

6 Likes

Perhaps its just an error on the part of the person who modeled the head for the animation.

well it doesn’t matter because his head is covered up by his mask

2 Likes

Well, if I had a perforated chin, I would care :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

that was a joke…

1 Like

Wow I’ve never noticed this. Can this be seen on any of the toa? Or is it just on Tahu?

1 Like

Upon closer inspection, Pohatu has it as well:

This is certainly not a simple mistake.

But interestingly, Lewa and Gali have normal chin:

The plot thickens!

6 Likes

It’s probably just a prototype design that they hadn’t finished for those animations.

Ergo, if my theory is true, Lewa and Gali were animated later than Pohatu and Tahu. See how Onua and Kopaka look, if you can.

1 Like

Kopaka definitely has a single hole chin. For Onua, it’s impossible to tell.

2 Likes

Kopaka has normal chin:

Onua is really hard to make out, but it seems to be normal also.

Other advance art shows normal chins on all characters though, even Tahu:

During my search I have noticed another thing, but this for the first time. What’s with the smooth gear Pohatu?
smooth gear

But please don’t expect me to make a topic called “Mystery of Pohatu’s crotch” :pray:

13 Likes