Nerix of the Tatsaari

A “Part 1” of this moc

(See more images here)

Pronunciation: NEHR-ihks

Bio:
Nerix was born on Xia in the waning era of the old Matoran Universe. In those days as in the beginning, little was changed in the ruling structure of Xian society apart from the perennial question of who specifically ruled. Hundreds of rival Vortixx clans lead by enterprising Matriarchs vied for ownership of land and industry, but all acknowledged the de facto authority of the dominant seven. These Seven Clans of Xia jealously held influence over all of the island, and they in turn deferred to the Leading Clan, a revolving door title bestowed to the strongest among the Seven at any given time. From the midpoint of Nerix’s Vortixx career to the end of the Matoran Universe, the last Leading Clan of Xia was the Tatsaari - the one she called home.

Nerix’s early career was marred by numerous setbacks. Although ambitious in her own right, her introspective and less showy nature often meant she failed to sell her talents to disinterested Matriarchs. Worse, she was slow to the brazen duplicity that complemented Vortixx cunning and had to learn through painful experience the art of strategic betrayal. In time though, her quieter brand of determination and intellect caught the attention of a former Lieutenant Matriarch named Dexa.

Dexa, a member of a prior Leading Clan dismantled in one of Xia’s periodic inter-clan wars, was building a new clan with an eye for reattaining Leading status, this time with her as its Head Matriarch. As such, she sought talent over pretension and found Nerix. Nerix in turn found a fledgling Head Matriarch who not only gave her a genuine opportunity but also imposed on this new Tatsaari Clan, named after the rocky wastes where they were established, an unprecedented order of loyalty among its members; for the first time, Nerix felt right at home.

In the employ of the Tatsaari, Nerix steadily distinguished herself through a balance of ingenuity and grounded acumen. She herself rose to the rank of Lieutenant Matriarch to Dexa, to whom she maintained steadfast loyalty. After uncovering and eliminating an attempted coup against the Head Matriarch, Nerix was personally gifted a pair of earrings fashioned out of corsite sapphire said to be more valuable than entire mountains.

Despite her rank and now favored status, Nerix was rarely the first in the room to speak and her subordinates came to know her as among the more reasonable of the Tatsaari leader class. But any potential warmth from those directly under her was often quenched by the exacting discipline and perfectionism she demanded of them, as her expectations of herself almost always spilled over to those around her.

As time went on and the Tatsaari successfully positioned themselves as the new Leading Clan, Dexa’s behavior began to unnerve Nerix. Her ruthlessness veered on sadism, the true extent of which was hidden to all but her closest inner circle. Nerix worried that the growing paranoia since the coup attempt was spiraling out of control ever since Dexa had won the title of Lord Matriarch over all of Xia, and that her cruelty was now a violent outlet for her anxiety. But Nerix herself came dangerously close to suffering her wrath once when she had suggested her insights to Dexa, and learned never to speak of it again.

Despite this, the disturbing trend continued as Dexa would assign Nerix tasks of increasing atrocity which slowly took their toll on her psyche. In her most private thoughts, the Lieutenant Matriarch began to question not only Dexa’s leadership, but her own place in the Tatsaari and the very foundations of Xian society and values as a whole. All of this resurfaced something fundamentally irreconcilable between Nerix and the Xian social structure she was born into, and she became more and more desperate to push these doubts away.

But right as something in Nerix was about to break, the Lord Matriarch suddenly announced to the surprise of all of her inner circle that she had been in secret communication with a Great Being. A grand scheme to restructure all of the known order was in the works; its details were known only to her and this new partner known as Velika, but it invited the whole of the Tatsaari to ascendancy. And even more shockingly it would take place not here in their own universe, but, as Dexa cryptically proclaimed, in the world after. For the first time in too long, Nerix felt clear of all prior doubt and fully rededicated herself to follow in whatever unprecedented path Dexa would soon lead them…

Story continued here

Weapons:

Nerix rarely fought, but when pressed into conflict she carried a prototype ion rifle which fired charged particle bolts that could leave a dangerous residual charge on any surface it contacted. This weapon was one of several developed in secret using a sample of Energized Protodermis offered to the Tatsaari by Velika for offensive applications, although none but the Head Matriarch knew its origins at the time. This particular model was modified by Nerix to add an electrically charged concussive blast as a dual function capability.

Studio

Download the Studio file here (updated 3/4/22). Just the body, no gun.

*Requires the latest BioPack and KingSidorak’s SidoPak.

**Parts in purple signify substitutes for parts that I couldn’t use in Studio either because it doesn’t have it or won’t allow it. These are:

• 3L bars in the back of the upper legs (87994) are placeholders for 2L 3mm rigid tubes (75c02) irl
60 Likes

Nice work! The colors kind of remind me of your Artakha MOC.

1 Like

Dang, love that ion rifle <3

1 Like

Definitely one of my favorite vortixx mocs I’ve seen. Awesome job.

1 Like

Really nicely built. I’m amazed at how well you’ve blended System, BIONICLE, and CCBS pieces. The proportions of the whole thing are excellent–even the rear is unobtrusive and, I think, fits the aesthetic of the rest. I especially like the chain-sling-thingy for hair.

The only thing that’s kinda weird is the incredibly oblique angle of her high heels. That looks extremely painful. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This looks really smooth, I like the gun.

1 Like

Pretty hot design. Love the use of the painted gresh armor and the rifle is very sick. Plus W A I S T A R T I C U L A T I O N. Very nice job now if you will excuse I need to build a Vortixx now. How does the rifle connect to the hand?

1 Like

Yeah, actually, speaking of waist articulation, @WholesomeGadunka would you be able/willing to show how you made the waist? This example seems really great, and I want to see how other people achieve it. It’s totally fine if you want to keep it a trade secret, though.

1 Like

I gotta have waist articulation in everything I build. It’s a sickness really. As for the gun attachment, the handle is a perpendicular axle connector. The hand design I use for almost all my mocs deliberately leaves the axle hole at the “palm” of the hand open to receive weapons in a universal way. The hand itself is a 1x2 plate with bar + normal 1x2 plate with the studs fed into the shallow square depressions on the side of a G1 socket connector. It’s not a strong connection but it’s good enough for me since whatever tool it’s holding isn’t actually resting on the fingers.

Lmao. Vortixx, amirite ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Roodaka’s got a 45° angle to her heels so that’s basically my reference for it. I’m sure Greg’s found a way to make it make sense.

I would and I am, it’s usually more a matter of finding time. Believe me, I wish I could make instructions for all of my mocs; I’d share everything if I could. So for this one, no promises but I may build as much of it as I can in Stud.io and release the file. If it’s just the waist connection you’re interested in, I can tell you straight up the lower torso is a vahki hip + hordika neck, with the hordika neck angled backward. Fairly basic in itself; I prefer vahki hips over custom pelvises because I’m extremely wary of connecting thigh joints to lone technic balls that just fall off half the time. From there it’s just a matter of building around the waist joint to minimize the obvious break in the build as best you can.

2 Likes

Excellent feminine proportions, well done!

2 Likes

roodaka revamp, anyone?

veeeery interesting design overall. :+1:

1 Like

I can’t even pinpoint what I like the most about this MOC - everything works here so well. Great job! :+1:

1 Like

Honestly I’m interested in the whole thing, but especially the thighs and upper torso.Those are usually the parts of MOCs I have the most trouble with, so I try to garner as many ideas as possible.

…Also now that I look at it again I really like how you raised the hair a bit. Just sayin’. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks man. Well I’m replying to you but this is also an update for everyone else:

*Studio file has now been included at the end of the original post. Please read the notes first.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks!

1 Like

votixx are one of the most interesting bionicle designs, elegant but dangerous like a cobra

1 Like

Great build, awesome weapon, and an impressive backstory. Well done!

1 Like