New Story - Any Interest?

It sucks…my attention away from what I probably should be doing. Which means that, in fact, it does the opposite of sucking. I’d love to read more! I doubt I can count how many times I reread your books as a child; this feels similar enough to be comfortingly familiar, but different enough to be intriguing.

16 Likes

Are you kidding?

Greg’s writing a brand-new story. That’s big. And what’s more, he wants feedback to see if it’s good enough from TTV members.

No way in the world I’m missing the opportunity to provide feedback here.

19 Likes

Is it possible you could make a bionicle story, switch names of people and places? instead of robots call the mages etc. But we fans would know who you are refering to?

If this would cause legal problems to you then I understand.

2 Likes

You assume that’s not what’s happening now?

3 Likes

I’m certain that this could lead to legal trouble unless he’s intentionally very obscure about it, to the point that he’d deny it’s happening while he’s doing it.

2 Likes

I am hoping to have more story for you by next week or the week after.

To Geetonguga’s question, if I could write BIONICLE fan fiction, then I probably would, but I’m not allowed to. You may see things in this story that feel familiar to you, but that is because there are certain common tropes to these kinds of stories. The other thing is, this is probably going to be darker than I would be able to go writing for a LEGO theme. Even if I could do more BIONICLE, I would feel obliged to keep it within the limits of what a LEGO story should be. With this, I don’t have to.

34 Likes

Definitely worth reading more. Looks like there’s already a lot of thought and spirit in this story.

5 Likes

Oh? So we may be seeing some not so Toa-Code-friendly things going on? not that it applies in this case, with it not being Bionicle but yanno

2 Likes

This! Exactly this right here!

3 Likes

Is it just me, or do the team dynamics in this piece feel reminiscent of the Toa Metru? A reluctant leader second-guessing himself, a blunt and critical lancer type with a lot of physical strength and prowess, and a female character who (at least from the tiny snippets we’ve gotten so far) seems to be more on the gentle side, and one of the closest to the leader in the team. I do recall some statement or other from you that said the Metru were one of your favourite teams to write about…

Be honest Greg, you just missed writing these guys, didn’t you? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

He has talked before about how a character can come to life in your mind and pop up within multiple works under different names, so…

4 Likes

REALLY interested! I have so much love for your work on Bionicle that’d I’d read any new story you wrote.

What you wrote here is very intriguing, similarities to Bionicle but also clearly distinct (“holo-vid,” worldbuilding). What so many of us love about Bionicle is the rich worldbuilding (and also the characters, drama, and stakes), so this is an awesome way to rekindle that appeal. Having the freedom to go darker than Bionicle is also very interesting (I remember at the 20th anniversary panel when you said you miss murdering characters).

My one suggestion would be that, because it’s an original work, it probably needs a little more of a “hook” at the beginning in terms of defining the setting, story premise, dramatic urgency, and why the reader should give it a go. With Bionicle, most of the readers were already fans of the toys or movies, so we had an idea of what to expect. But there obviously isn’t that built-in audience for something totally original (although people like me will read it because you did it).

If you’re interested in continuing, I would definitely pick it up as a book or listen to it as a podcast!

Agreed! The characters and their relationships were so important to the heart of Bionicle.

6 Likes

I am thinking about the possibility of doing this as a blog or something, which would free me from having to be concerned about what content I am posting as a LEGO representative. I could do a podcast but I don’t have the budget to do a good one, I don’t think, so not sure that is the direction to go.

28 Likes

I have added a prologue to the initial post.

23 Likes

a rather chilling prologue if you ask me

2 Likes

Ah yes the atomization of a child.

5 Likes

Greg blog let’s goooooo

7 Likes

It’s a very compelling hook to read further. Really good.

1 Like

Yay. NSAI continues again. Thank you Gregory.

5 Likes

NSAI?

12 Likes