New Story - Any Interest?

Glad to see you working those creative muscles again, even if it isn’t bonkle.

4 Likes

Definitely doesn’t suck! Seeing new writing from you is amazing, and should you choose to pursue this story, I’d be very interested to see where it goes.

As for publishing, I might recommend a podcast — story-driven podcasts have really exploded in popularity over the last few years, and pretty much everybody already has an account on at least one delivery platform (Spotify, YouTube, et cetera).

10 Likes

This is amazing! I think this is a really cool concept.

2 Likes

This sounds precisely like the sort of thing I’d love to sink my teeth into.

10 Likes

Greg’s now writing a story about a pessimistic nihilist with psychic powers and anger issues tormenting a former basketball player by causing property damage
This is the best timeline

I’m a little confused as to how Namil walked forwards and stood under the building, then it came down, then Namil was next to it again. Did it end up further away to avoid hitting him? Or did I misread it and he actually got wicked witch of the east’d?

10 Likes

I don’t think he actually did step under it. He was just saying that his life would be metaphorically over if Kogar dropped the shop – which he didn’t (well, not from 30 feet up, anyway)

6 Likes

Nah this is great! I’d be happy to see this continue

3 Likes

I dig it. I owe a lot to you as a writer, and I’m glad to see some new independent work from you.

I appreciate the emphasis on letting readers pick up context clues to get the gist of the world and characters at play. Maybe a couple bits of exposition are ever so slightly on-the-nose (the taxi driver recollection and Namil’s 20-years line, namely), but those feel like necessary evils to get this stuff out there without relying on the narration. On the whole it’s fun, and I’d love to see more.

I feel like the podcast format might be the way to go, either with you narrating everything like the old days or with a few more radio-drama-esque bells and whistles like a lot of story podcasts have now. VAs and SFX and score and all that jazz. You’ve got a lot of folks here that I’m sure would be happy to help.

Namil didn’t step under it.

The narration was just suggesting that if Namil’s entire livelihood was destroyed, he might as well step on up and get crushed with everything else.

Just good 'ole cheeky dry Greg humor.

11 Likes

I’m definetly intrested. One of the thing that kept me a bonkle fan is how emotional the characters were, and when that stopped being the case I bailed. I really like the set up so far and think it has the potental to have the best parts of what kept me coming back to the other stuff, the underlying resentment of having to rely on people you’ve made mistakes with, and having to move forward anyway.

5 Likes

It’s got some good potential. Kinda got some dune vibes with the desert setting. Sad that it’s not Bionicle but all things must come to an end I suppose.

2 Likes

This topic do be bringing back old accounts
I’m quite interested in this story.

8 Likes

Oh, this sounds interesting! I really like the aura of mystery and how it sets up little pieces of exposition, but never an infodump. I’m already curious about what the world is, what happened in the past, and what small lines like “nobody had time for fairy tales these days” imply for the present. I’m not entirely sure why Kogar lifted the building (was he threatening Namil?), but it’s an effective way to reveal the levels of power the heroes have.

I’m definitely interested in more of this; it give off the same mystery, intrigue, and science-fantasy atmosphere that got me into the fandom while also doing something new.

5 Likes

yes
the vague story bits were my favorite part of the story

3 Likes

ooooh this sounds like something neat I like it Greg.

5 Likes

This is most interesting. I for one would be most interested to see more.

5 Likes

Nice piece of story, Greg, can’t wait to see the whole thing!

Also, thanks for the line of yours that confirms the contests are just fan thing, not real canon

4 Likes

I think his clarification at the beginning referred to him being not allowed to use names within Bionicle that are not trademarked by Lego and stuff like that.

5 Likes

correct. he has said since even the 2013/2014 ask gregs that he is allowed to answer fan questions (even if that question is “hey is this image people voted on what tuyet looks like?”) but he can’t write full bonk stories because lego will only let him do so much. Luckily Greg has shown pretty clearly here with this post that he can write good compelling non bonk stuff too so I can’t wait to see what it turns into. If it does become a book I’d love to buy a copy when it comes out.

10 Likes

At a glance, I’d pick it up. I stuffed myself on a lot of YA dystopians when I was younger, but this sounds different enough. (And are they biomechanics or droids? If so, it reminds me of the game Cogmind, a hacklike where you control and heavily modify a basic robot. Definitely interesting for inspiration.)

Hope you post more so we can get more of a feel for the world and what’s going on in it.

6 Likes

Interested, would be willing to buy any book you make.

5 Likes