Nihotu, Toa of Lightning

Flickr album

Vo-Matoran’s shock tolerance allowed restless Nihotu to keep running her ferry in even the stormiest weather. But now the ever-eager Toa Nala of Lightning must learn restraint, as her newfound powers are deadly in the waters she calls home.

The name Nihotu was made using Tolkien’s Matoran Language: [nihotu “glittering mind” < nihu-atu, from nihu “starry; glittering, sparkling” and atu “mind, will”]

Thanks for looking. Please let me know what you think!

54 Likes

Huh, never realized that those Lewa blades are actually somewhat shaped like a lightning…

3 Likes

It’s simple, but looks great. Nice build!

1 Like

Very nice! I love arm blades, and the little horns on the Faxon are subtle, but make things feel even. Well done!

2 Likes

I love those wrist blades!

1 Like

Thanks! I had forgotten those blades had electricity too. When I stumbled upon them I knew they had to make it into the MOC somehow.

Thanks! In the past when I’ve tried to make complicated, custom-everything MOCs, they just come out delicate and wobbly. This time around I wanted a stable MOC, so after it was done I revised things like the shoulders and back a few times to make them simpler. Glad you like it!

Originally I stuck one of these big horns in white on the top of the mask too. Looked a bit goofy though. Glad you like the final setup!

Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Very classic looking G1 toa! Aside from the feet, I could almost see her as an official combiner or something along those lines. The white spikes all splaying out like that is a nice design choice too and the colours are well distributed. I would be so tempted to add some kind of bohrok shield to the chest though.

2 Likes

The only real gripe I have is those open pins.

1 Like

9/10 shoulders are a bit too big… make em bigger.

1 Like

Very cool. Dark blue and white is not the first color that comes to mind for lightning. But it works great here.

1 Like

Thank you! CCBS plays a pretty important role in this MOC then since the torso is built around this piece. I was going for that G1 aesthetic you mentioned, so I’m glad you don’t think the newer parts compromised it. I tried to use a Kohrok shield instead of the Metru armor at one point, but I took it off since was a bit too big and its circular shape clashed with the spiky theme. With some tweaking to the rest of the MOC it could probably work though.

That’s fair. The goal with the open pins was to continue the spiky theme without adding more white to the MOC. Do you think it’d look better if instead of open pins the moc had more white spikes? (I don’t have many black ones. :frowning: )

At one point I was debating using medium blue instead of Metru blue, but I didn’t have enough medium blue parts, so the color scheme fell into place out of necessity. Glad it worked out. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

2 Likes

White or black would work fine. I might also add some of that blue blue to the center of the chest to balance out the color scheme; maybe replace that Inika shoulder on the back with a blue one, if any even exist.

2 Likes

Perfect :ok_hand:

2 Likes

It has so much white you could almost say it is a Toa of ice. Great job nonetheless.

1 Like